Chance of Lightning & 25 Other Friends at Connor's First Birthday, Birthday Party!

Discussion in 'Disneyland Trip Reports' started by kmedina, Jul 3, 2012.

1. kmedina

kmedina Loves all things Disney

That story about the button really touched me. I love that Disney cast members go the extra mile for nice people. Not many people have that button. Only a small percentage can say they have the same birthday as Disneyland! Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It sounds like you had an amazing trip!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kmedina

The thing I really liked about DCA prior to the expansion was that it had a couple of more adult type rides with the Mailboomer and Screamin'. Experiencing Disney and adult rides is my ultimate idea of a good time. Crap is also an adventure seeker, so he agrees. It is one of the many things we have in common. While I am sad Disney tore it down and do not even remember what was in its place on our recent trip, I still like DCA more now that Cars Land is there.

In the six times we've been to Disneyland since Xander was born, there was only one time where we were completely alone. We went with my Dad the first time, Crap's Mom the second time, alone the third time, Crap's Dad the fourth time, Crap's sister (Becky) the fifth time and everyone the sixth time. Plus, we've used rider swaps, so adult rides are never a problem. Granted, we never do as many as we did pre-kids, because we have to fit the kid rides in now too. As much as I love adult rides, I love going to the parks with my kids so much more than I did with just me and Crap.

I do not really miss riding only adult rides. The mixture is nice. It is amazing to watch them find it more magical than I do as well.

If I remember correctly, this was the only meal we forgot to get pictures of. I think everyone was just having a great time, and we forgot about the trip report for a couple of hours. It was awesome.

Lunch definitely got off to a great start. Connor was finally awake. Almost everyone was on time. All of these people who love my baby made the trip to Disneyland to be with him (and to see Disney of course).

The families tend to enjoy time apart. They do not cross mingle much. As far as I know, everyone had a great time. I have never had a moment where either family had a problem with the other. That does not mean there is no in-fighting within the same family from time to time. None of that seemed present on this trip though.

He really did not care for that milk, but he loved that necklace. Other than the balloon, it was probably the best thing from the in-room celebration. A few people even approached me to ask me where they could buy them. Prior to receiving it at the hotel, I had never seen it before. Therefore, I could not help them find it in the parks.

Everyone always says that Xander is the white version of his Dad. I do see more of me in Xander as he gets older. Other than his eyes, I see more of me in Connor. Crap is the splitting image of his Mom. Rachel is the splitting image of her Dad. It is funny, because Crap's parents got his and hers kids! :rotfl2:

The inside of the restaurant seated slightly more than 36. There were a few (although I did not count the actual number) four tops. Those four tops were spread out though. Only two of them had people in them when we sat down and none of them were used by the time the party really started rollong. If someone had a larger party than 36, they could sit at the four tops even though they seem a distance away from the four main tables that seat up to 36. It seemed like there was more seating outside than inside although I never counted that number either.

I love celery too with ranch dressing. Blue Cheese is nice with some salads.

He was more interested in playing with the cake than he was with eating it, but he certainly had a good time with it.

4. shan23877

shan23877 I make lists about my lists

I just read that you're starting back at work tomorrow? Did I miss something huge? That's a pretty quick start date right? I hope that you're feeling good about it! Congrats! You'll be great!

5. kmedina

It was a spur of the moment thing. I got a call on Thursday night asking if I was willing to come back part time for a temporary position in a completely different job than I had before. It was a day or two after we were conversing on your thread, and I was thinking I had no work prospects. After working there for over 11 years, I grew some close relationships. Even though I have never done it before (insurance credentialing), I owe it to them to try my hardest. Originally, I was told the job would be over in 2-3 weeks. After starting today and seeing the amount of work I have, it may take a little longer than that. If the contracts are not in place or done properly, they could lose a lot of money. Without a contract, insurances typically do not pay providers. Most patients do not pay bills when they receive them. Plus, many patients will be upset to receive a bill when they thought the provider had a contract with their insurance. No bueno for the poor patient or the office when they find a different Doctor.

The person who was doing it before already messed up, so I have a mess to clean. They are already cash strapped (which is why they cannot afford to keep me on the payroll), so I want to get everything done perfectly. It is a lot of pressure, but I am nervous and excited for the challenge. Plus, I can put whatever I earn while the job lasts into a vacation fund. Hopefully, it turns out as a win/win for them and me. Thanks for saying I will be great, because my fear is that I could mess up and hurt their bottom line. My overly detailed self will probably call insurance companies with every question I have to ensure I get it right, but that will take more time than risking it and filling it out blindly. They need to get this done and get me off the payroll as quickly as possible.

6. mvf-m11c

mvf-m11c DIS Veteran

That is very nice that you and Crap had something in common with CS and the Maliboomer. DCA back in the days when it opened it 2001, it did had some adult rides which didn't fit the theme like the other Disney parks. Some of my friends like riding the Maliboomer, but they were sad to see it go. It just doesn't fit DCA the current DCA. Right now, there is no ride replacement at the former Maliboomer location. Disney just put big planter box (trees) at the three launch pads and you can't even go up towards the stations.

That's why a lot of parents with little kids used the rider swap. I have used the child swap a couple of times in the past but since my DA and I go to the parks without any young children. During my trip last June 2011 not last year, I had a young kid in my group about Xander's age (at that time) and he was tall enough to do most of the rides and luckily we didn't need to use the rider swap. The last few years while my DA and I or I go solo it is fun to go to the park and do whatever you want. But I would like to enjoy the park with young kids since it makes it even more special for them. I really enjoyed my WDW trip last year with my group where I was the guide for the whole entire trip to the Disney parks.

It's always great to go on all different types of rides when you have kids which makes it special for them.

As long as you and everyone had a great time during your trip, it makes the trip even more special.

7. kmedina

Mailboomer reminded me of the ride that is on top of the Stratosphere here in Vegas. While the one here is higher, the one there was longer. I liked looking down more here but that awesome feeling in the pit of my stomach there. The one here is a little shorter, so it never gives you that same feeling. It is sad that they are wasting the space where the Mailboomer was. I get that they just spent a lot of money on Cars Land, so probably have no plans for that space right now. If it did not fit the theme, I think they should have just kept it there until they were ready to replace it. Buyers remorse with a ride is one thing but taking it out and putting nothing in its place seems a little silly to me.

Rider swap passes are awesome. It is cool to watch young kids enjoying Disney. Nothing is better than when you truly love that kid and see them light up. I like seeing my boys excited more than I like being excited there myself. Disney and my boys make me so happy.

We never rode the kiddie rides before they came along. They are fun too, but we just never had enough time to fit them in with all of the adult rides. It is more fun to mix them up we have learned. Some rides for them and some for us. Everyone is happier that way. They need more breaks than we do, so they take a break while we ride. Win/win.

Disney trips always seem to be more special than other trips though even though we have a good time at other places. That place is magical. What can I say!

8. mvf-m11c

mvf-m11c DIS Veteran

I remember that ride at the Stratosphere Hotel in Vegas. I have never went in the Stratosphere Hotel and I do see those rides at the top of the hotel. It is sad that DCA is wasting the space at the former Maliboomer. I would assume that Disney is figuring out what to do with that space since CL is completed. Sometimes we don't know what the company is thinking, hopefully they will have something for that spot in the future.

The rider swap is great, one day I will try to do the rider swap if I have young kids with me on my Disney trip. It is exciting to see kids get all excited when they go to the Disney parks.

We always like to go on different rides that we haven't done in the past like the kid rides. It is fun to go on the kid rides with the kids which makes it even special. We always take breaks in the day since we can't stay in the park for a whole day.

No question. Disney trips feel more special than any other trips.

9. kmedina

I just think it was silly to move a perfectly good ride until they were ready to build a new one. In almost two years, they have done nothing with the space.

You will love rider swap.

Kids rides can be a lot of fun, but we never really tried them before we had kids.

:yay: Disney!

10. mvf-m11c

mvf-m11c DIS Veteran

You are correct that they should have something built at the Maliboomer.

I will do the rider swap one day.

With young kids does make a Disney park trip very fun.

11. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

WOW! You had a lot of people there and I do NOT now how you handled all of them, but kudos to you! for doing THAT!

12. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

Hi Kim! Just a quick hello! I loved your lunch update! It was so fun to see all of your family introduced to us. I'm glad so many came and you had such a good time together.

Control Z huh? Does that let you "back up" to before you lost whatever? I'm not a computer whiz by any means.

I didn't know you worked medical. I am a coder at an ortho clinic. Kind of the same thing happened to me - I was an office manager for a surgeon across the hall several years ago. I left my job to take care of my grandkids and work my home business. Last fall I ran into my now director and she asked if I would do some part time coding for them. Now I work 9-5 Tues-Fri and I love it - no headaches - just do my job and go home!

Credentialling! It is a huge responsibility and so hard to get right - the companies all want so many different things - but I know you will do a good job! What did you do at that office before?

13. kmedina

Agreed on all counts.

After getting over the late start they gave us that morning, everyone truly was a joy. We all had a great time separately other than the lunch. I really love all of our family, so I was happy so many of them came to celebrate with Connor.

Thanks. It was really nice that so many people were able to make it. Everyone really seemed to have a great time.

I am no computer whiz either. Crap (who was a computer engineering major before switching over to Business Management) taught me that. He really is a whiz. It only works on here about half the time. Connor likes to swipe at the keyboard when I am holding him. I try to save longer responses for when he is napping or even type them up in word, so I can save before a swipe.

I love the people I work(ed) for. Years ago when the idea of managing the office came up, I scoffed. No way Jose!!! Fast forward many years (as I was there for 11 years 2 months and have been gone for 1 year 10 months), my little sister (Kati) is the office manager. After working for her the past few days, I think she is pretty good at it. My new re-hire date was exactly two days before my original hire date thirteen years later, which I thought was funny.

When I last worked, I was an account manager for the billing department. It is a small business, so I did a lot of things (including coding). Speaking of coding, can you ever look at a license plate with a common code and not say diabetes when you see 250 or hypternsion when you see 401? I know the extensions are missing and your codes are different, since you do specialty billing. It worked for me, because I was working from home full time. When Xander started preschool (two days a week), I went in one semi (9-3) full workday a week. Crap was travelling a lot for work, so it was nice that I rarely had to leave the house while he was gone. When the economy went down, they wanted me to work in the office to cut staff and have me cover other jobs. Since they needed to make cuts anyway and I was not ready to go back into the office, we decided together that I would be cut. It was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I did not want to have another kid while I was working from home, because it was a lot of work. After I stopped working we decided to try for another kid and got Connor on our first try.

So far, I am not liking credentialing at all. On top of the fact that every company wants different information and there are so many hoops to jump through, I am having a hard time finding answers to the required questions. Just to get the employers between his residency and his private practice took a search party and a few hours! I am surprised that no one ever handled the records better. If I am there long enough, I will create a master Excel Spreadhseet with every possible username, password and answer to each important question. The problem is there is not enough time, because this employment was only meant to last 2-3 weeks.

14. DisneytheKid

DisneytheKid A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Great TR. Crap Bag cracked me up:rotfl2:

15. deliareh

deliareh Earning My Ears

I played softball too for two seasons at Desert Breeze in '07 and '08. It was fun having something to look forward to after a long week at work. I also ran cross country for a season in high school and track for two. Love that the Olympics are on right now! I've always wanted to run a marathon ever since my second grade teacher's aide showed off her medal from the LA marathon. I signed up for my first half before DS3 was born to encourage me to work out. I ran it 4 1/2 months after he was born. It was a blast to run, ok jog, up and down the Strip, especially as a local. I wholeheartedly encourage it. I jogged it this past Dec. too when the race was held at night. There was a lot of chaos on and off the course, but it was still pretty cool. The 1/2 marathon is pretty easy to train for. The longest I ever ran while training was an hour on the treadmill at 4-4.5 mph, 5 mph tops and I finished the race around 3 hours. The only thing I don't like about the Rock n' Roll races is the cost. I've talked my sisters and my cousin to run the Disneyland 1/2 with me in Sept. 2013. My cousin and I have sons who are only 12 days apart and we have the same due date this time around. We are going to enter the boys in the 200m Kid's Race and the babies in the diaper dash. I can't wait! (In case you were wondering, the DHs have planned to sit back with Mickey Mouse ice cream sandwiches).

I got the Disney card just for the meet n' greet. You also get a free 5x7 photo at each visit. We haven't charged anything to the card and you can often find great sign up deals for $200 or $100 back after your first transaction.

We got a lot done bc DS3 isn't tall enough for a lot of the rides at DCA and the lines for character interactions are shorter than the ride lines. The RS are also awesome. I don't know how we'll visit Disneyland when the kids are tall enough to ride and we'll have to stand in the standby lines. My plan is to pull them out of school in Nov. or Jan. to go when there aren't any crowds. Priorities, priorities...

The dance place was so much fun and a nice, cool place to sit while DS3 burned off his energy. The photos with the rare Disney characters are great for the scrapbook I'm planning to make of our year at Disneyland. I would go back to Disneyland right now just to see more rare characters at the dance place. I only wish that they would sign autographs, but they're suppose to be dancing the entire time and only stop for a second to take a posed picture.

Oh, and the group that Flo was in was the Motorama Girls. It's not a fair question bc it wasn't in the movies. It's in the Cars storyteller book that DS3 got for his last birthday. DH sat on Luigi's side and won the race. I sat on Ramone's side and lost. I wonder if the side you're on indicates whether you'll win or lose. I prefer losing bc you get pointers on how to win the next race from Mater at the end.

Have you seen the Disney Junior Show in Hollywood Land at DCA? Xander would love it. It has the characters from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, Little Einstein's and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

We have a couple of photos of characters with a napping DS3. We also have one with King Louie, myself and DH. I wish we would have remembered to put DS3 in the shot even if he was napping in the stroller.

This was the only year where APs worked for us. DS3 wasn't in school yet and he was just old enough to appreciate it. We had originally planned to take DS3 to Disney when he was older and could work for it, i.e. cleaning his room, eating all of his meals, etc., but when he started recognizing characters and making a mad dash for them at the store, our hearts melted. We planned to take him for 3 days to see the Halloween decorations and another 2 days to see the Christmas decorations, so the APs turned out to be a cheaper alternative, so we thought. We've spent more with the APs on hotels, gas, food and souvenirs this year than if we had just taken those two trips, but it has all been worth it. Our girls are going to hate us when they see DS3's scrapbooks and all of the momentos we've acquired from our trips.

They had a little coloring station set up for the kids, which DS3 took advantage of while I stood in line. It helped with the wait and climbing that would have inevitably happened if he stood in line with me.

If Xander does want to participate in the Jedi Training Academy, I would recommend making a nice big sign so he gets noticed. That's how we got DS3 picked the first two times and he loved it. He was the last kid to duel Darth Vader both times and did better than a couple of the older kids. We don't usually let him watch TV, but he has seen all of the Star Wars movies and loves dueling DH with his light sabers.

Thanks for reading my not so short TR. It's nice to have an outlet for this Disney obsession. My friends and family just don't understand the appeal of Disneyland and I didn't either until this year with my DS3. All they think about is the heat, expense, crowds and long lines. It's magical experiencing the park through DS3's eyes and we love the little things the CMs do to make it a truly special day.

16. kmedina

:welcome:

Thanks. Crap will love that you find him funny.

Thanks for sharing it with me. I honestly love reading about what others did and how things went. It helps me plan for next time. Plus, I like hearing that people I've come to like on the boards are having a good time of their own. Some people do not get my love for Disney either, so I love coming to the DIS too. My love for Disney was there as a kid but did not re-open until I took Xander on his first trip. Watching your kid enjoy the magic is the best.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Earning My Ears

It's what I do. #BingStatus

18. kmedina

You will always be more of a Ross than a Chandler to me.

19. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

can you ask for his resume or curriculum vitae? Hang in there - once you have the info gathered it gets easier for the next company :hug:

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!:fish:

oh yes! I think in code - LOL - more when I worked peds - more general stuff I feel like such a nerd!

20. kmedina

Sorry it is taking so long to get an update in. Had I known I would start working and how busy I would be when I started this TR, I would have waited a while. It seems like everything else in my life also got busier just as I started working. I will do at least one update this weekend and try to get caught up on everything else I read.

His CV had not been updated in years. There were at least three terrible copies with conflicting information. I had to locate all of the original records. With that information, I created a new CV that looks so much better than all three of the other ones. None of them had dates for the jobs in between his residency and private practice, but I was able to find them thankfully.

I am compiling a list of all of the information I gather and created an Excel workbook. It gets updated everyday, because I keep researching and finding new things to put in it.

I will always think in code, so I am a nerd too.

21. mvf-m11c

mvf-m11c DIS Veteran

It's no problem Kim. You are busy with work and we are looking forward to your next update to your TR.