Challenged Accepted! Our Year of Disney with a toddler 2/27 x2

Looks like I missed your arrival updates last week!

Sounds like a successful shopping trip at Publix and drive-by dinner pickup.

Wow, the condo looks really nice. And big! Bummer about the rocking chair, though. :(

I LOVE the tram selfies!

What a bummer about not being able to upgrade your tickets to save some $$$ on your APs. Also a bummer about your missed FPs.

Now I'm going to catch up on the rest of the updates you posted.

I think we did pretty well for our first drive in Orlando! The condo was so nice and spacious, but we were a little bummed about the rocker! Thanks, there were a ton of selfies this trip! It would've been nice to have saved some money on the APs but I understand why they could not be upgraded. (although really, what's the difference between us using tickets worth x amount vs getting x amount towards our new tickets? :confused3)

OK. Caught up now!

:cool1:

I'm glad your FP at Space and Pooh worked. I had wondered about that when you said you lost them...

Sounds like a smart choice to ride Pooh to get "in the mood" for your dinner. 10 minutes late for dinner is not bad at all. :rolleyes1

I'm so glad to hear the interactions with Pooh & Friends were great, and that everyone seemed to enjoy the food.

Good idea to bail and go back to the condo to get some rest for your first full day. I hope you are able to get the FP+ things working. My spidey senses are telling me that maybe Guest Services needs to get involved...

:goodvibes

I had come across a thread on the DIS before we left about how people were using old magic bands to get additional FPs from kiosks even though they did not use them for park entry. I figured if it worked for them, it was at least worth a shot for us so I'm glad we at least got to use 2 of the 3 FP+.

I think it was worth being a little late for Crystal Palace to ride Pooh. DH wasn't so sure but I think it was fine.

I think I must've just been picking a bad time to try to use MDE that night.

Those are some nice family pics from that fist PP even if the castle isn't in them. And love that you have the 2013/2014 people mover pics!

Loved you funny nursing story - probably b/c we can relate and our kids have nursed on so many rides at Disney!

Aw, I think there must have been some dust in my eye as I read about the Pooh encounter (ok, taken out of context that comment reads really poorly).

Can't wait for you next update - and whatever structure works for you works for us!

Okay I'm glad someone else thought my nursing story was funny. I was afraid that I mention nursing him way too much in my TRs lol. Haha. I'm not an emotional person but I definitely was feeling like there was dust in my eye with the Pooh bear encounter!

I'm hoping I can keep up with doing a whole days worth of updates at a time! This week has been a little crazy, DH is working on call and we ripped our kitchen floor up on Sunday night.

It all makes sense. I didn't realize you couldn't upgrade a comp ticket. That was my mistake. Bummer. Are there any ticket types you can't upgrade? :confused3

I don't know :confused3

Yay for Crystal Palace.:thumbsup2 Looks like a fun dinner and its always good when a little guy eats well! Great pictures of Gavin with the characters! What a fun way to kick off your trip!

Nothing better than doing a ride with teenage kids..cough, cough. :rotfl2:

I love your selfies - they turned out great!

How did Uncle Brandon's school year go? Was he happy at SU?

We were very excited that Gavin had a good time at Crystal Palace AND ate well. It was definitely a great start to our trip!

haha. Thanks! We took so many selfies this trip!

Uncle Brandan had 2 great semesters, he really likes SU. I can definitely see why. It's such a great school and a beautiful campus. I wish I would've went there! He loves Salisbury too. Lots of good food and things to do! He has a full time job so he keeps pretty busy.

What a great first night at MK! Well, except for those funky CMs. Seriously, cut the attitude! But I'm glad you didn't let them ruin your mood.

Such cute family pics on the TTA! I was so relieved that they pushed back the refurb as I really would have hated to miss riding that on our trip.

Wow, Gavin sure did a number on the food at CP. :thumbsup2 Hopefully he will keep that up so when you start paying for him at least he will eat his share. He was so cute with all of the characters!

I had to laugh when you said he is too tall for the changing tables in the bathrooms. He is SO tall!! You can definitely see which of his parents he takes after in that regard. :goodvibes What a cutie pie!

I'm definitely not used to less than stellar CMs. I don't know why everyone is so grumpy! :confused3 I'm so glad you got to ride on the TTA! I really hope he does keep up with his good appetite at character meals. I doubt we do very many after he's 3 but I guess we'll see. He definitely does not get his height from my side of the family ;)

Guess Disney worked up an appetite with Gavin! All that walking around the park, I'm sure. :goodvibes

Sorry the FP+ situation did not pan out for you guys that night. I've never attempted getting any in the afternoon, because I'm always afraid there will be nothing left. Guess that's the case.

Either way, I think you all accomplished a good bit before your dinner. Peoplemover, Space, Carousel, and Winnie the Pooh. In the land of toddlers, that's a lot! :rotfl2::lmao:

Wow, seeing the comparison on the Peoplemover makes Gavin look so grown up compared to your 2013 trip. Can't believe he's more kid than baby now!

I can always count on Disney World to wear out Gavin. Even last year when he was winning awards for being the worst sleeper ever he napped and slept very well for us that week.

That night we were definitely out of luck with getting FP from the kiosk. I'm glad we were able to use the Pooh and Space FPs though. We were pretty impressed with what we were able to do since we didn't get into the MK until after 6pm.

He really needs to stop growing...

Definitely a spin on the Pooh ride was a great idea before dinner! Gavin's interaction with Pooh at CP was adorable. I've only had breakfast there so I was glad to see some of the selections that they have for dinner.

Ahhhh the secret door to the Dream Suite.... As you walk through the castle, its the first door on the right if you are entering the castle.

Sounds like a great first day at MK - other than not being able to book FP+. Staying tuned to see how that worked out. :)

Gavin's interaction with Pooh was priceless! We had dinner at CP in 2009 but I couldn't remember much about the food. Luckily it was excellent! Nothing tops that puffed french toast at breakfast though.

Oh I was looking at the wrong door then for sure, I was looking at the other side!

It was a great evening in the MK and a great start to the trip.

Love all the walking-from-behind shots! Also, nice Photopass pics on Main Street. That's sad that they lost some of your pics this trip, though. :sad2:

Frustrating FP+ kiosk experience! I'm wondering if it was hard to find things available due to the rain? That was our experience - so many of the headliners closed that the things that normally don't have lines were packed. At least you got to ride the Peoplemover, though! It was down for refurb by the time we got there. I like the year-to-year comparison pictures! Funny story - so, if you want to get Gavin down for a nap at MK, I guess the Peoplemover is the way to go. :rotfl:

Glad you were able to use your Space Mountain FP+ and Rider Swap! :thumbsup2

Sounds like Gavin was enjoying the independence of walking on his own at Disney too!

Only 10 minutes late to an ADR? Ah, that's pretty much "on time", I'd say. ;)

Hey, he has a theme-appropriate placemat! :thumbsup2

Awwww, I'm so glad that Gavin had such great character interactions, especially with Pooh!!! So sweet. I know exactly how you felt. Such sweet moments.

Food at CP looks very tasty too (we've only done the breakfast there).

Character meals can be pretty chaotic with all the shoving-down-food-between-characters, but they are a great value with an under-3-year-old, for sure! :thumbsup2

Argh, errors with MDE! Hope you got some FP+ selections! And, mmmm, midnight snacks!!!

This was the first time we have ever had pictures lost so it was definitely a bummer. I didn't even think of it being due to the rain. I just figured since it was well after 6pm that everything was just gone. That makes sense though! It just seems like FP+ has really changed some rides. Things that were always a walk on (IASW, HM, Living with the Land, GMR) had waits! Haha I guess the People Mover would put him to sleep! I don't think we've used our stroller at all since our trip to Disney last May. He's definitely not a huge fan so he really enjoyed walking as much as we would let him! 10 minutes late for us is most people's equivalent to being early, LOL. I love those placemats, although he now pulls them up. We had Sesame Street table toppers that came with stickers but I thought we needed some that were Disney themed. I think I only paid about $14 for a huge 50 pack of Pooh. No stickers but they do the trick. I will always treasure those Crystal Palace memories! Definitely sweet moments with the little ones. We are definitely squeezing in as many character meals as possible before he is 3! We had so many good snacks on vacation!

Super late joining in - SORRY! I didn't see a TR from you until now. Just read through all the updates though. I can't believe how big he is now - WOW!! He is sooo adorable too.

I was going to say those FP's would still prob. work since we found a bit of a work around regarding MB's and FP's on our recent June trip...but I'm glad you figured that out!! Sounds like a nice evening overall in MK but I can imagine you were pooped! Love Crystal Palace and the interaction!

Loved the PP pics too despite some mean PP photographers! ugh! And the walking to the castle pics - so cute. :lovestruc

That's okay! I know how hard it is to keep up with everything on the DIS. I'm pretty sure I need to catch up on your TR. Thanks, he's getting too big too fast! We loved all the space at the condo!! I was hopeful it would work since I had came across a thread on the DIS about people using old magic bands to get more FP+ from the kiosks. I just wanted to be able to ride something before our dinner so I'm glad it worked out. It was a great evening in the MK and a great start to the trip but yes, we were so exhausted! I would have loved to stay for MSEP and Wishes but it was just not going to happen. I figured you would like the walking to the castle pictures! I always enjoy seeing all your pictures with Aria!

Catching up on a few updates!!

What a great rental - so much space!!

What a perfect evening at MK --- looks like you got just enough riding and eating in to feel like you are finally in Disney! And, love the CP interactions...nothing better than Pooh n' Pals! :goodvibes

We loved how much space we had at the condo! I'm sure you understand that with a toddler, lol. So glad we tried off site, I'm hooked now! It was such a great evening in the MK and a great start to the trip. Crystal Palace was so worth it, great food and character interactions!

WOW! What a nice end to a wonderful day!!

I was confused why you took the monorail from parking the car to EPCOT??

Nice time in EPCOT and impressed you kept Gavin up so long!! LOL! Nice snacks and treats and fun lunch. I need to plan to meet Donald in Mexico, Aria would love it. Too bad about TT but oh well.

MK sounds like it was pretty open since you were able to ride some much without a wait. Very cool! And so nice to spend some time with your cousins - looks like Gavin loved that as well.

So what are your plans besides November? I am starting to figure out where to fit in trips next year (will be cheapie ones but I plan to get APs for me and Aria, leaving Andrew home ha). Thinking early May possibly? Not sure.

Agh, rain and Test Track! That happened to us too. :sad2:

Wow, Gavin did so great at the Character Spot! Love all those pics and how excited he was to meet them! :lovestruc (Izzy developed some character shyness on our recent trip - hope she can get back to Gavin-level-interactions :rotfl:)

Love the Bruce throwback pictures! Amazing how much they change in a year!

Ah, so Gavin and Izzy are on the same page about shows (apparently that they are boring). We used a FP+ on Turtle Talk our last day and it was totally unnecessary! Oh, well.

Aw, so cute with Mexican Donald!

Yes, those sea salt caramels are my favorite too! Such a yummy treat! Could really go for one right now...

Wow, I had no idea that there was a quick service steak meal in America. Looks pretty good! Hmmm, had no idea frushi existed either. Guess I need to study the Disney Food Blog a bit more closely. :rotfl: (Oh, I guess the frushi might be a special F&G thing, huh?)

That is super impressive that you were able to keep Gavin awake until his crib nap!! Not an easy task, I know.

Huh, I had no idea you could ride three to a row on Big Thunder either. Learn something new every day, I guess!

So cute to see how much Gavin loved spending time with his cousins! :lovestruc

Aw, that little teacup picture is ridiculously cute!!

So special that you got to spend that MK time with your family!

wd046wdw201412370484897_6977551959_18_zps87824865.jpeg

wd053wdw201412370484899_6977554619_18_zps9079240e.jpeg

So many great PP pics in this update, but these are really adorable!

You really did a mega update. So much to comment on. You guys had a really full day. Sorry that TT remained down every time you had FP's. I hope you were able to make it back there during your trip.

I had no idea they served steak at the QS in America. Cool. You picked up some fun desserts for later.

Speaking of later - that pizza looks yummy!

The condo is lovely and SO much room. I stayed off site last June and it was great having my own bathroom and bedroom to store all my stuff. It's easy to get used to that.

What a great evening in the MK meeting up with your family.

So glad your brother had a great first year at SU. My son is living there for the summer and working in Bethany Beach.

Okay, those pictures of Gavin with Bruce and Donald are seriously adorable! Just look at that smile on his face! :goodvibes And you could definitely tell Minnie Mouse was his favorite of the Fab 5; he was just so excited to see her.

I love that Living with the Land is right next to Soarin'. It's the go-to ride when you need to kill time while a family member rides Soarin'. :thumbsup2

There's a steak at Liberty Inn? What?! I kid you not, I end up having to eat there on every single Disney vacation. Every single one....and. I never knew this! My trip to the American Pavilion will never be the same again. :rotfl2: (and it comes with broccoli, such Annie change of pace.)

Stopping after the Epcot updates cuz my little man is waking up from his nap, will finish the MK portion later.

Just found your report and I am loving it! What a cute little family you have. I enjoy reading all the parts about the "getting there" too and also about where people stay. Windsor Hills looks really nice. We are DVC members but if not I would totally consider staying offsite because people get some really nice places. We are now down to less than 60 days to our trip and we will be travelling with toddlers too so I am hoping to get some tips from you. Going back now to finish reading!!

I don't think you're crazy, especially if you were going to spend $500 to go to Sesame Place anyway. It sounds like you can save in other places and it would pretty much pay for your trip. If you can cut costs elsewhere to cover Disney costs, I say go for it! The baby just turned 2? I hate to say this (and please don't flame me) but when we flew on American and were checking in, the check in lady (the one who gives us our tickets) told us that we could get away with not paying for our DD for a few months after her 2nd birthday. She said they don't check so why not? I'm just repeating what I was told. :)

Ah, gotta love Disney math!

I don't think you are crazy to consider it (though summer might be cheaper as no extra ticket for Frozen like there is for MNSSH). Guess it comes down to can you wait until December or not.

Well, I suppose it doesn't come as a surprise that I would say to go, given that I've already gone on/planned two not-in-the-plans WDW trips with my not-in-the-plan AP. :rotfl2: Seriously, though, I would take advantage of the fact that you have APs and a child that gets in for free while you can. I don't think you'll regret it, especially when you are finding ways to save back the money in other areas. And you'll always have the memories from the trip. :goodvibes

I can't believe he's 2 now!! :eek:

::bday::bday:

A very happy 2nd Birthday to Gavin! Wow, I can't believe it and I'm sure you can't either.

Somehow I missed your updates in June!

What an awesome time you had in the World Showcase. I know you did stuff but all I can think about it is the food!

I also didn't know about the steak at Liberty Tree. Nate is a steak lover, and the rest of us are more adventurous, so I can see using that nugget of info to our advantage.

You can't go wrong with treats from Karamel Kuche!

The Frushi looks awesome!

Glad you were able to enjoy Spaceship Earth and Nemo and Soarin and Living with the land! And a really cute meet with Donald. See, I could get past the food.

I loved, loved, loved reading about your meet up with family at MK. So magical.

And I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that the legacy of "Bad Cow" lives on! Nate was just a little older than Gavin when that started.

:goodvibes

That was smart to take it easy after your very eventful family day.

I adore your Peter Pan shirts!!! I also love that ride, glad you all enjoyed it.

Gavin's character meets are so cute!!!

Hooray for BOG lunch. I haven't been there yet, but there is so much there that looks fantastic- both the food and the atmosphere.

Your story about the Mickey books has encouraged me to share a couple of stories from last week about my teen and what he remembers from his childhood.

During our trip, on one of tours we were all asked what our favorite childhood toy was. Nate of course said Nay Nay Roar, his Little People Lion that was his beloved companion from 18 months until 2nd grade or so. The toy was my avatar until recently when I changed it to me at the Beach Club.

Also on the trip, we were asked a question about the state fish of Hawaii

"Humahumanukanukaapua" Nate answered "It was in a book that mom read to me when I was little"

:lovestruc

OMG I loveee your Peter Pan shirts!! They are so adorable! What a wonderful start to the day. I love the Daisy & Minnie meets too. Aria LOVES Peter Pan, while I like it I never thought she would get SO excited to ride it!

BoG lunch looks great!! I am ALMOST able to book FP for the BoG lunch - thinking tomorrow! I like that you were able to sit next to the window, we always seem to get the center of the room!

Very cute Peter Pan shirts. :thumbsup2

Aw, I'm glad Gavin loved meeting Daisy and Minnie. That mouse nose is perfect for kissing.:goodvibes

Isn't Be Our Guest delicious? I managed to get a FP for there in August, and I'm pretty sure my mom's heard more about that reservation than our TS ones!:rotfl2:

Way to go Gavin, eating all his lunch. And they have whole grain pasta? That's splendid news! Now I know there's something for Landon to eat. ::yes::

See, things like having ice water available is what puts BoG a step above everywhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter