Central Europe: Austria, Germany & Czech Rep. Meets Thread

We only used CZK for street food...Trdelniks...and Post Cards...used a Credit Card for anything more expensive. Check with the Companies you have about Foreign Transaction Fees....one card we have is 1%....another is 3%. We take the Guides' tips in the envelopes provided so we know that's done .
I have a Capitol One card that I use just for international travel, as it has no foreign transaction fees. I think most Capitol One cards are like that.

Sayhello

You should use your " Chip & Pin " card OR your Credit Card

Simple & Safe .......... After Vacation you can ( As far as I know ) deposit Euro Notes Back into your A/C .

@Cinderella's Slipper 2015 - just remember you won't have much free time. If arriving in Prague before the tour that's fine. But once you start on the Friday night, you are out at 8 am until noon, have 2 hours for lunch on your own, then out again until 7:30/8:00 pm ish. Next morning you are gone at 8:00 again and you won't have more than 2 hours free again during the day until you get to Vienna (3 nights after Prague are in Berchtesgaden, Germany - you visit salt mine, ice cave, castle and day in Saltzburg from here) where you will have 2 afternoons free for about 4 hours or so. There was a couple that bought tickets ahead of time for a concert the night we got to Vienna (we really wished we had done that).

@Cinderella's Slipper 2015 - just remember you won't have much free time. If arriving in Prague before the tour that's fine. But once you start on the Friday night, you are out at 8 am until noon, have 2 hours for lunch on your own, then out again until 7:30/8:00 pm ish. Next morning you are gone at 8:00 again and you won't have more than 2 hours free again during the day until you get to Vienna (3 nights after Prague are in Berchtesgaden, Germany - you visit salt mine, ice cave, castle and day in Saltzburg from here) where you will have 2 afternoons free for about 4 hours or so. There was a couple that bought tickets ahead of time for a concert the night we got to Vienna (we really wished we had done that).
What Jen said...ABD keeps you hopping!

We know that the amount of free time is pretty limited, having done one ABD already. We just want an idea of how much money to bring with us for meals on our own etc. We don't have the luxury of putting everything on a credit card because credit cards without international exchange fees in Canada are almost non-existent.

We know that the amount of free time is pretty limited, having done one ABD already. We just want an idea of how much money to bring with us for meals on our own etc. We don't have the luxury of putting everything on a credit card because credit cards without international exchange fees in Canada are almost non-existent.
That's interesting. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't get the same terms as we do in the US. Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but you can't just call Capitol One & say "I want one of your cards with no foreign exchange fees"?

Sayhello

It is the same for Europeans going to USA or Canada

A currency fee ( Cross Border Fee ) & then the Exchange rate . & sometimes a Commission fee

but when we travel to theEU and Canada we have to pay the VAT tax which subsidizes your tax base. We pay much higher income taxes and property taxes as well as sales tax.

That's interesting. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't get the same terms as we do in the US. Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but you can't just call Capitol One & say "I want one of your cards with no foreign exchange fees"?

Sayhello

These are not offered in Canada.

We don't plan on purchasing a lot of stuff but we prefer to carry the actual cash on us and not rely on a credit card. It helps us to not over spend on things and we always know how much we've spent and how much more we have left.

It is not widely advertised but some merchants will wave the VAT tax if you pay cash that is they will discount the item a percentage for the VAT taxis already incorporated in the total price of the item. There is a large "underground" economy especially in those farmer's market set ups in the town squares. It doesn't hurt to ask for a discount when paying cash. If you hang onto your receipts than at the airport you can get a rebate when you fill out forms and go to the correct windows. The offices (or windows) are usually located before the security lines so all the paperwork must be done before.

It is not widely advertised but some merchants will wave the VAT tax if you pay cash that is they will discount the item a percentage for the VAT taxis already incorporated in the total price of the item. There is a large "underground" economy especially in those farmer's market set ups in the town squares. It doesn't hurt to ask for a discount when paying cash. If you hang onto your receipts than at the airport you can get a rebate when you fill out forms and go to the correct windows. The offices (or windows) are usually located before the security lines so all the paperwork must be done before.
We filled out the paperwork the day we bought something in Prague. We turned it in in London...our last stop in Europe. Easy to do, but be sure to have the item with you...they will ask to see it!

I'm assuming this can be done at all major European airports? We're flying direct from Vienna to Toronto.

Just back last night from Central Europe trip! AMAZING in every way - great guides, great group of people, awesome adventures!!!!!! I learned that no matter how much research I did, my preferences and experience can be different than others (and they were) and I'm so glad I participated in everything!!!! Ask me any questions - I'd love to share. BTW, we arrived in Prague 2 nights before the trip began and we were so happy and grateful to have signed up for 3 walking tours with the Naked Tour Guide (don't take my word for it - see reviews here on trip advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...iews-The_Naked_Tour_Guide-Prague_Bohemia.html ) Inexpensive, best tour of a city (we did Prague Castle night tour, Explore Prague, and Communism and Nazism tours) I've ever done - easy to understand and wonderful stories. Disney doesn't have the time to provide the depth of information given on the these tours so it was a wonderful start to a magnificent trip! If you can do it - GO EARLY and take 2 days to explore Prague and really get a feel for the history of this city.

Jen
I'm so glad you used this company! We went to Prague on our own and a friend recommended this company. Imogen and Stefan were our guides. They are awesome!!!

I'm so glad you used this company! We went to Prague on our own and a friend recommended this company. Imogen and Stefan were our guides. They are awesome!!!

Yes! That's exactly who we had. Loved them both! We had Stefan for the our Prague castle tour and Imogen for our Explore Prague and Communism/Nazism tour. Outstanding.... They should contract with Disney for their day tour....

Yes! That's exactly who we had. Loved them both! We had Stefan for the our Prague castle tour and Imogen for our Explore Prague and Communism/Nazism tour. Outstanding.... They should contract with Disney for their day tour....
Wish we had known you then...would have enjoyed more info in Prague Castle!

@Jitzy & @smile750, if I'm adding on one extra day in Prague, would I be able to fit in all 3 tours? Would you recommend trying to do all 3? Or just the Explore Prague Historical Tour and the Prague Castle at Night tour?

Thanks,
Sayhello

@Jitzy & @smile750, if I'm adding on one extra day in Prague, would I be able to fit in all 3 tours? Would you recommend trying to do all 3? Or just the Explore Prague Historical Tour and the Prague Castle at Night tour?

Thanks,
Sayhello

I would do the explore prague and night castle tour - easy to do (night tour for us met at 8 pm)

I would do the explore prague and night castle tour - easy to do (night tour for us met at 8 pm)
Thanks! I'm doing the Danube River cruise, and then the Prague add-on, but it spends just about the same amount of time in Prague as the regular ABD does. And it seems at least one extra day is really called for!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter