Censorship on Disney.com?

Dabelsteen

Earning My Ears
So I made two posts on the Disney Parks blog and none were posted to the site. Each one was critical of the decision to replace the bakery with a Starbucks. I read the terms of use and I don't seem to be in violation unless you read it at its most simple and believe terms of use includes censorship. The posts follow and I'm curious.....Why delete them? The posts aren't offensive....Are they actually that protective that they'd delete legit posts? have they not learned from everyone elses errors?

And for the record I'm a huge fan and NEVER detract from what they do. I'm very much a Disney defender up until now......

Posts #1 & 2

The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming" - Great it will look traditional. One issue solved.

"It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items." - They aren't saying its the same stuff they were selling, they said they'lll sell pastries just like all Starbucks do.

My personal favorite line that confirms the above statement as true: "And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.” In other words. You will not find them at the Bakery, go somewhere else.

Post # 3

What makes Disney World great is its uniqueness. We know have an Edy’s ice cream shop bumping up against a Starbucks. Why not close the Emporium and open a GAP? What’s the difference?
Sell the Starbucks coffee, by all means, I’m a fan. Just replace the stuff they sell in those carts all over the place. Replacing a bakery with a coffee shop is an astonishing case of a company being blind to its own product. You want to replace the pastries please do, but do something I can’t by at my local mall.

I think most corporate sites closely controll their content. If everything is not yea ra ra then they do not post it.

OP, it needs to be reminded that Disney, just like GM, Walmart, ExxonMobil, and all the rest is a big multi-national corporation -- and corporations don't want negative comments on websites/blogs they own/operate (as corportations exsit to "bring value to the shareholders").

The website DOES state that they review comments for content before posting.

I don't know their criteria but to be honest, the comments ARE argumentative and somewhat sarcastic so I can see why they might have decided to post them.

And I'm not being judgmental because I LOVE being argumentative and sarcastic. Just ask my wife.

So I made two posts on the Disney Parks blog and none were posted to the site. Each one was critical of the decision to replace the bakery with a Starbucks.

Maybe they removed your posts to eliminate confusion since you were critical of something that wasn't even going to happen to begin with.

On its own website, Disney can do whatever it wishes. Freedom of speech doesn't apply.

If you walk into a McDonald's and try to convince patrons that they should go to Burger King, management can ask you to leave (and involve the authorities if you refuse.)

If you go to a Honda dealership and urge customers to buy Ford instead, they can throw you out. It's private property and they have no obligation to provide a platform for you to air your opinions.

Same principle for a website. If they don't like what you have to say, the comments can be removed / blocked and you could even be banned from accessing the site. Even the DIS management has such rights as operators of this website.

Bottom line is you are a guest on their site--on ANY website--and if site owners don't like what you have to say, they have every legal right to censor the comments.

But I'm n e v e r sarcastic.....

ohoq9.jpg

It does seem a little over sensitive to block those, but they own the servers and content and thus have the right to prevent posting.

So I made two posts on the Disney Parks blog and none were posted to the site. Each one was critical of the decision to replace the bakery with a Starbucks. I read the terms of use and I don't seem to be in violation unless you read it at its most simple and believe terms of use includes censorship. The posts follow and I'm curious.....Why delete them? The posts aren't offensive....Are they actually that protective that they'd delete legit posts? have they not learned from everyone elses errors?

And for the record I'm a huge fan and NEVER detract from what they do. I'm very much a Disney defender up until now......

Posts #1 & 2

The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming" - Great it will look traditional. One issue solved.

"It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items." - They aren't saying its the same stuff they were selling, they said they'lll sell pastries just like all Starbucks do.

My personal favorite line that confirms the above statement as true: "And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.” In other words. You will not find them at the Bakery, go somewhere else.

Post # 3

What makes Disney World great is its uniqueness. We know have an Edy’s ice cream shop bumping up against a Starbucks. Why not close the Emporium and open a GAP? What’s the difference?
Sell the Starbucks coffee, by all means, I’m a fan. Just replace the stuff they sell in those carts all over the place. Replacing a bakery with a coffee shop is an astonishing case of a company being blind to its own product. You want to replace the pastries please do, but do something I can’t by at my local mall.

To add, What th first amendment prevents is government censorship of speech (which even has court defined limits). As tjkraz said, private sites are under no obligation to let you say what you want. What they can't do is alter you statements attributing something to you that you don't say (So they can't change "I hate Starbucks" to "I love Starbucks").

It's why protestors on public land aren't arrested for protesting, but for trespassing, disturbing the peace, etc.

On its own website, Disney can do whatever it wishes. Freedom of speech doesn't apply.

If you walk into a McDonald's and try to convince patrons that they should go to Burger King, management can ask you to leave (and involve the authorities if you refuse.)

If you go to a Honda dealership and urge customers to buy Ford instead, they can throw you out. It's private property and they have no obligation to provide a platform for you to air your opinions.

Same principle for a website. If they don't like what you have to say, the comments can be removed / blocked and you could even be banned from accessing the site. Even the DIS management has such rights as operators of this website.

Bottom line is you are a guest on their site--on ANY website--and if site owners don't like what you have to say, they have every legal right to censor the comments.

Disney run operations do not condone descention...nor ever will.

As stated...that's standard corporate business practice.

Also...I can't believe how overblown this bakery thing is...

Really? After they jack prices for ten years and load their 6,000 giftshops with the cheapest, unimaginative crap possible...
THIS is where we want to draw the line?

Starbucks over Nescafé? That's the "Waterloo" moment?
Some folks might just be a tad late to the party

Really? After they jack prices for ten years and load their 6,000 giftshops with the cheapest, unimaginative crap possible...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

SERIOUSLY!!! I think people are just getting thier feathers ruffled because it is one "big Corp" joining forces with another "big Corp" that now it looks like yet antother attempt to fleece Joe Consumer. I personnally, don't care for Starbucks coffee, but ADORE thier scones and muffins!!! However, even Starbucks (to me) is better than the swill the sell currently.

FWIW, all of you "Defenders of the Bakery" we had breakfast there 2 weeks ago, and yes I bought the enormous cinnamon roll.There was absolutely NOTHING special about it, other than it's size. I also bought the breakfast sandwich on the croissant, again nothing special. Actually, this bordered on "Yuck" rubbery eggs, stuffed with a couple slices of processed ham, slathered in WAY too much processed yellow cheese. Where is the originality in that? I have several local bakeries that serve better and fresher stuff. Including real coffee, again, unlike the Nescafe crap Disney has been passing off.

People have been complaining about Disney Coffee for EONS!!! Don't you think that maybe this is thier answer to that giant outcry? However Misguided as it may seem to you DotB, at least it seems as if they are making an attempt to please some of its consumers (and I would have to bet, that by "some" that means a good majority, because Disney (and starbucks for that fact) are not run by a bunch of idiots who do things without extensive marketing research. They answered an almost universal cry of "WE WANT BETTER COFFEE" with a brand that is tried and true to be exactly that. (At least with a majority vote within whatever "researchees" were available)

You're not really questioning that Dis'ers brand loyalty be balanced by some judicious use of common sense are you? :lmao:

Peter Pirate 2 said:
You're not really questioning that Dis'ers brand loyalty be balanced by some judicious use of common sense are you? :lmao:

that might be where the miscalculation occurred...

I have posted on the Disney blog and made negative comments (regarding Pleasure Island and the adventurers club) and had them get posted up.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they block negative posts there. Again, your at the corporate site, they're going to stop overly negative comments. (It would be like going to the Sony website and posting a super-negative review in their product reviews. Do you really think that'll go up?)

I would say you did the right thing. Post there, then post here.

Disney is a company out to make a profit. They may look cute and cuddly at WDW with sweet princesses who hug little kids and the giant furry animals that walk around but they don't do it as an act of charity or out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it to make loads of money. They aren't going to put up criticism of their brand on their website because they don't have to and how is it going to help them make money?

tcufrog said:
Disney is a company out to make a profit. They may look cute and cuddly at WDW with sweet princesses who hug little kids and the giant furry animals that walk around but they don't do it as an act of charity or out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it to make loads of money. They aren't going to put up criticism of their brand on their website because they don't have to and how is it going to help them make money?

Well, you've got the fundamental truth of the Walt Disney Company down solid...go from there :)

(FYI...many people here have zero concept/will never grasp this)

lockedoutlogic...

I like the movies and when I was a kid had my favorite princess (Belle) even though I never dressed up like her. I even went through a Winnie the Pooh phase when I was younger. I think it's great to have something you're passionate about and a hobby you love whether it's Disney or swimming. I never got how people could treat the Disney Corporation in a special way other than another company out to make money. That doesn't mean I think Disney is necessarily evil or anything but Disney isn't Mother Theresa either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter