Cell Phone Use on Cruises

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by TwilightGoddess, Oct 28, 2012.

1. TwilightGoddess

TwilightGoddess Earning My Ears

I know that the Cruise Line offers data you can buy, but what about cell phones? I'm coming from Canada and plan to buy a sim card in FL for the DW portion of our trip, but what about during the cruise and then the ports? Are they plans for this from AT&T, Tmobile, etc?

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

2. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

I think this sums it up for cruises:
    Don't use your cell phone.

The costs are beyond expensive and most prepaid cell phones will not work on them.

We took a week long cruise to Mexico on the Wonder and I'll tell you, it's great to be completely disconnected for a while. On many plans, you can receive incoming text messages for free though.

Honestly, you can use the wave phones to talk with other members of your party on board.

3. TwilightGoddess

TwilightGoddess Earning My Ears

Thank you for your reply. I would have liked to be able to call home while away, but not worth huge bills that's for sure!

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

Now while at WDW, there are many great choices, some of which will even give you unlimited calling home for a flat "monthly" fee from about $30-$50 USD. These are prepaid and only have a one month minimum. Just do a google search for which one is the best for you. Straight Talk, Boost, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile & MetroPCS all have some sort of prepaid plan that would allow this as I recall. They would just be expensive on the cruise portion.