Status
Not open for further replies.
To turn off 3G & data roaming on an iPhone

• Settings
  • General
  • Network
-3G: select off
-Data Roaming: select off​

I own an iPhone with no data plan and request Rogers disable the data service on their end.

Buy a phone in Florida activate it there where you will be staying this way if out your party can call from the hotel and it will be a local call.

Try a Tracphone. Last time down with friends I pick up two Net 10 phones challenging to activate and couldn't call back to Canada after numerous attempts dealing with the CSR's. We own a Virgin phone and just ad $10 each time we are in Florida, MYC or where ever in the US.

phone-expense.jpg

When I went in October I had my wifes Net 10 phone. I could not call back to Canada because she had not set it up properly. I was travelling with my 6 year old so I went into Best Buy in Port Huron and for $9.99 + $20 airtime I bought a Virgin phone that worked great and with the bonus time start up credit I still have time left. The great thing about Best Buy was the girl set the whole thing up for me while we waited. I had a working phone in 15 minutes and peace of mind while travelling.

I ended up getting 2 Tracfones for $9 each. It worked great for communication in the parks however I have to say that the Samsung phone had really poor quality for noisy places. Like when you are at a restaurant trying to call Disney dining to find out why your reservation has been lost on New Years Eve.

Everything else worked great. You just have to remember that you cannot text to phones in Canada.

we have a Bell plan. At home, my hubby, daughter and I can text each other for free. What would it cost to text each other when we are all in Florida?

That's what I'm trying to find out on my Virgin phone.

The phone websites have info about calling while in the states, but next to no info about texting.

I don't know if this is new, but if you have a Virgin phone with a myPlan, you can add on a $40/month/100 minutes for roaming in the US.

http://virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/plans/myplan-addons.html

We were just in Florida over Christmas (and now heading back to WDW for holiday - yay!). We paid about $50 for 2 phones at Walmart in the US, had unlimited calling between phones for $1 a day, (which was included in the $50). Much better than walkie talkies, just as cheap, and we can re-activate them just by purchasing another phone card.
It really beats those roaming fees from Rogers!

We were just in Florida over Christmas (and now heading back to WDW for holiday - yay!). We paid about $50 for 2 phones at Walmart in the US, had unlimited calling between phones for $1 a day, (which was included in the $50). !
which phone company did you use?

We used Verizon - only drawback I'm finding now - I can't top up the phone before we go, I have to wait and buy a card on the way to WDW. Not a big problem, they just don't have the capabilities to use Cdn. credit cards on their web site.

We used Verizon - only drawback I'm finding now - I can't top up the phone before we go, I have to wait and buy a card on the way to WDW. Not a big problem, they just don't have the capabilities to use Cdn. credit cards on their web site.

We are going down in May and we're wondering what kind of phone from Verizon did you get and what type of phone plan? Are they available at all Walmarts in the US? Thanks

Heading down to WDW in a couple of weeks...I usually hang in the Camping Boards but really appreciate all the great tips as we need a phone on site....Thanks fellow Canucks!:thumbsup2

We are staying at Disney (Port Orleans Riverside) , where is the nearest/best spot to pick up a cell phone in the area via taxi or shuttle? :surfweb:

Thanks in advance for any info!

What if you buy this $10phone from Walmart USA.I would buy 2 one for me and one for the hubby?Then I think the minutes are another $10 for 150 minutes..So basically $20...
Just go to the Walmart USA website there are so many cheap phones there.

Hello

I was wondering if it's possible to buy a AT&T (or other) SIM from ebay and activate as pay as you go in the Rogers iphone (removing the rogers sim)?

I would really like data access in WDW but Rogers rates are a killer.

I would jail break my iPhone if needed but would rather not.

Has anyone tried this ?

Hello

I was wondering if it's possible to buy a AT&T (or other) SIM from ebay and activate as pay as you go in the Rogers iphone (removing the rogers sim)?

I would really like data access in WDW but Rogers rates are a killer.

I would jail break my iPhone if needed but would rather not.

Has anyone tried this ?
I haven't tried it but it should work. You would need to jail break the iPhone because it is locked to Rogers network. Beyond that you just need to find a sim and provider that does pay-as-you-go data.

Was just reading on another thread that for 10/month the rogers data plan can be used in the US. This would be great if it can be removed once we get back.
If this is true I can then save a lot by tethering and not have to purchase Internet at the resort :)

Was just reading on another thread that for 10/month the rogers data plan can be used in the US. This would be great if it can be removed once we get back.
If this is true I can then save a lot by tethering and not have to purchase Internet at the resort :)
You still pay $1/MB on top of the $10/month making it too expensive to use for anything other than some light email.

Hmm, we were going to buy walkie-talkies which is what we had the last time we were at DW, but I keep hearing about people having trouble with them... it sounds like a cheap US phone is the way to go. We won't have a car though. How would we get to Walmart/Target? By cab? How far would that be? (From Wilderness Lodge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter