Celebrating & eating @ MNSSHP: AKERSHUS BREAKFAST [updated 12/12/12]

DINNER @ 1900 PARK FARE

emme & i had never been been to 1900 park fare for dinner with cinderella, prince charming & the stepsisters. we had met the step-sisters & lady tremaine randomly last october & they were an absolute blast.

IMG_0455.jpg

i tried repeatedly to get this reservation & by chance, i finally got the ADR. by the time we made it to our 8:30 ADR, emme was pretty much over it. she was very tired (we had a super long day park hopping) & the wind finally caught up to her. it was very windy because of hurricane sandy & she was beginning to feel miserable.

needless to say, this was not the most enjoyable meal because i was with a cranky two year old. it started out decent...well, the first 15 minutes was decent & then it all went downhill. because of this, i want to try 1900 park fare again.

we checked in to our ADR & was ushered to take a picture. the picture was NOT included in the meal. if you wanted to purchase the picture, it would cost you $31.99.

photo31.jpg

the picture with the awkward shadow.

the grand floridian is a beautiful space. yet, the dining area was pretty cramped. there was a table stuffed in every available space. emme & i were smooshed into a tiny two top. the table had so much "stuff" on it that it was really hard to eat & manuever around. it was even more awkward that emme was sitting across from me. because of the small space, i could not move her chair closer to me as we would have been in the aisle/walkway.

IMG_8670.jpg

lovely drink menu.

our server was really awesome. she was very attentive & sympathetic when she noticed emme was very tired. i ordered a strawberry mint julep to help me deal with a cranky 2 year old.

IMG_8676.jpg

STRAWBERRY MINT JULEP

IMG_8678.jpg

it wasn't very strawberry-ish but the drink was nice & stiff. mmmmm, makers mark. it was delicious.

after the drink came out, the step-sisters made their entrance. there was no lady tremaine this evening but the step-sisters were hilarious.

IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

the buffet itself was laid out well. there was a children's section of favorites, a meat carving station, a create your own pasta section & surprisingly, a very small sushi section.

IMG_8671.jpg

the meat was very tasty & cooked perfect. the jasmine rice was also cooked perfect & yummy. the curry on top of the rice was really good. the watermelon salad was interesting but refreshing. plate 1 was a success.

IMG_8672.jpg

1900 park fare had mickey plates available for the kids but lots of adults were using them as well. the roasted drum stick was moist. the corn was canned corn.

IMG_8675.jpg

i thought the $6.95 tinkerbell light cup with milk would lift emme's spirits but by this point, she was starting to have a massive breakdown & my hopes of taking decent pictures & an enjoyable meal went out the window.

IMG_8679.jpg

apologies for the awful picture.
plate #2: the buffet had a few different types of sushi rolls. i chose the spicy tuna. it was actually REALLY good and probably my favorite thing on the buffet. it was very fresh but had too much rice on it. i picked off some of the rice and ate a few rolls.

photo32.jpg

i picked a pre-made pasta and thought it was ok. the mac & cheese was the usual mac & cheese (very comforting) & again, i had the jasmine rice & curry chicken dish.

you can also see how crowded the table was. i had to put the sugar container & a couple of other items on the ledge to make room for our plates & my camera. my back pack was stuffed under the table & by my foot. it was a very tight & uncomfortable space.

IMG_8682.jpg

our cm brought out a cupcake for emme. even the cupcake could not make emme happy.

IMG_8684.jpg

a very awkward prince charming & emme.

as you can see, i moved emme closer to me but we literally were in the walk way but she was calming down.

i don't understand what the fuss is over seeing prince charming here. the prince charming we had was really awkward & it was a pretty uncomfortable character meeting. maybe he saw emme's uninterested face but it was really weird. plus, his wig was funny looking. ha ha.

IMG_8687.jpg

prince charming & a VERY EXCITED emme.

IMG_8688.jpg

cinderella was very pretty & her dress took up the entire walkway. she was trying really hard to converse with emme but emme did not care at all.

IMG_8692.jpg

a good bye hug.

also, during dinner, the announcer announces cinderella & prince charming while the step sisters protest. they then do a waltz in the middle of the dining room. it was really awkward. they had no chemistry & it was very forced. plus, there was no space to dance but they danced anyways.

our meal lasted about an hour. emme was ready to go after the first 20 minutes but she held on.

pro: overall, i thought it was one of the better buffets we've had at disney. there was lots of variety & everything seemed fresh. it blew chef mickey's out of the water. the buffet was well stocked & plentiful.

con: the dining room is way too cramped. prince charming & cinderella were very awkward. the cinderella at akershus for lunch & dinner was much more into character.

i'll definitely give 1900 park fare another try. this time, it will have to be an earlier ADR. i don't regret eating there but maybe i would have had a different experience if emme was in a better mood.

:dance3:

Lol at Emme's face with Prince Charming. Poor baby! She does look miserable! Spicy Tuna rolls look so good!!

AKERSHUS BREAKFAST

many apologies for not updating recently! i've made too many trips in a short period of time (3 trips in 4 weeks) & it's been hard updating especially with life getting in the way (tough, i know :sad2:).

this was our very first trip to akershus. i had no idea what to expect but i did know there would be princesses & it would be the perfect way to end our trip.

we were a few minutes early but still managed to check in. after they check you in, you are kind of herded to the side & then wait behind a rope until your family's name is called.

IMG_8773.jpg

emme made a new friend in line.

IMG_8775.jpg

after your name is called, you are ushered inside where you wait to take a picture with belle. she is in a glorious yellow ball gown (just like from the movie). the great thing about akershus is that you are given a complimentary photo package! the meal itself is pricey but receiving a photo package at the end softens the blow.

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

and here is emme with belle. pardon emme's outfit...hurricane sandy brought really chilly winds and i had to put some leggings underneath her dress. :rotfl:

IMG_8793.jpg

after the picture, you are then seated. our server stina was awesome & probably one of the best we've had on any trip to disney. she was very friendly, always smiled & super efficient.

we then headed to the "cold" bar which was filled with pastries, yogurt, fruit and items such as smoked salmon, capers, herring, cheese, onions etc. it was an interesting spread but how can you resist smoked salmon & capers?!

IMG_8797.jpg

delicious smoked salmon

IMG_8805.jpg

the other side of my plate.

you could easily become full from eating at the cold bar. 10 minutes later, stina brings our platter of food. it is served family style and the platter has eggs, bacon, sausage and potato casserole.

IMG_8803-1.jpg

family platter style.

let me tell you that the potato casserole is one of my favorite bites of food while at disney. it is absolutely out of this world delicious. it is very comforting and as heavy as it looks, it's not as heavy as you think. i shamelessly ate the entire portion myself but i couldn't help it. the potato casserole is totally scrumptious!

onwards to the princesses:

IMG_8818.jpg

snow white started the princess processional. the children join the princesses as they parade around the castle. it's very cute & not as disruptive as you may think. emme had a blast.

IMG_8813.jpg

sleeping beauty visited our table first.

IMG_8824.jpg

i've mentioned before that every sleeping beauty we've met has been really amazing to emme. some characters that we meet seem to have off days but never sleeping beauty. she's my favorite princess to meet as she is always genuine & really into character.

IMG_8830.jpg

snow white's turn.

IMG_8835.jpg

this snow white was pretty nice too.

E152E7D0-C0A5-41ED-AED0-8AF4AD94E80F-26918-000022F088381F67.jpg

IMG_8839.jpg

IMG_8847.jpg

this jasmine was also at crt for lunch. i don't know if it's sad that i'm recognizing cast members now.

i should mention that once a princess visits your table, the rest quickly follow. the princesses are quick but on this particular day, we did not feel rushed.

IMG_8854-1.jpg

emme's favorite princess, ariel.

and now back to the food.

IMG_8860-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

notice the bacon? akershus has been the only place where the bacon was not flimsy & sad. it was actually much thicker than what i've had at other places at disney. i was pretty ecstatic to see decent bacon.

IMG_8862-1.jpg

emme needing some coffee..ha ha.

afterwards, we walked around epcot.

IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8872.jpg

mulan.

we rode the ferry from world showcase to future world. we've never done this before and it was super fun!

IMG_8880-1.jpg

akershus was a really great breakfast. i've done all three meals there: breakfast, lunch & dinner. and breakfast hands down is the best meal of the three. it's also a bonus it's the cheapest of the three but honestly, in terms of food, it is the best option of the three.

i'm still dreaming about that potato casserole & i'm finally able to return to akershus on our next trip this weekend. reservations are hard to come by but i got lucky as people are canceling ressies all the times now.

up next, wishes dessert party!

Thank you so much for sharing! We are doing the princess breakfast in Norway and your review and pictures were awesome. Makes me feel lots better.

Thank you so much for sharing! We are doing the princess breakfast in Norway and your review and pictures were awesome. Makes me feel lots better.

thanks for reading!

please let me know how your breakfast experience is. the cheesy potatoes are sooooo good! hope you enjoy your princess breakfast!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter