Celebrating at POFQ/AKL in September 2015! COMPLETE

Dentam

Dreaming of Disney
Hi everyone! This is my very first pre-trip report (actually my first thread) so bear with me as I figure this out!

I just found these boards in February after entering the Perfect Fit sweepstakes and doing a google search about it. I didn't win unfortunately, but the whole process of entering every day put me back into Disney mode and connected me with the DIS!

A bit about me:

Tamara Kilbane.jpg

My name is Tamara and I'm a horticulturist in Denver, CO (the above pic is from a garden tour in the UK a few years ago). I did my horticulture internship at EPCOT back in 2000. My family has been to the world a few times and love it but our last trip was way back in 2010. We are currently planning for a 2017 October trip but clearly I couldn't wait that much longer!

So... fast forward a couple of months from me finding the DIS and reading all of the threads on here and I decided that since my house was finally under contract I would celebrate the sale with a solo trip to WDW! I was inspired by reading some of the solo trip reports here and thought why not go for it?

I decided to stay at POFQ and booked 4 nights for early September. I called my parents to tell them and my mom said in horror: "you're going to Disney World without us?!" Well... the room has two queen beds so I told her she and my dad were welcome to join me!

After approximately two seconds of thinking about it, they said they would love to come!

My dad has been a huge Disney fan his entire life and grew up going to Disneyland with his family. He loves it there but is an even bigger fan of WDW.

Melissa, Eeyore, and Dad.jpg

Here he is with my sister (who can't join us on this trip but is planning to come in 2017) at one of our favorite breakfast spots, The Crystal Palace!

My mom also loves Disney - the best part to her is all of the great restaurants!

She also hates the heat so this September trip should be interesting. She has already said that she may spend the trip underwater in the resort pool with a snorkel to breathe. Hmm... so... we are currently hoping for Orlando to experience the coldest early September on record (which would be what, mid 80's?) in order for her to join us up on land! In reality, she will likely enjoy her pool time along with shopping in the ac and of course all of our table service meals which I think she's looking forward to the most.

Mom at Disney.jpg

My life will likely be in danger if she finds out I posted this photo but I think it's funny. The glasses only come out when it's time to pay/analyze the bill to figure out the tip - ha!

A few changes have already been made since I first booked the trip. We are now staying 6 nights (Sept. 6-12th) and we switched over to POR. I really liked this resort back in 2000 when I was working at EPCOT (it was called Dixie Landings at the time) and I think my parents will like the theming better than POFQ. It was also only about $2 more per night than POFQ. We have always stayed at Deluxe resorts in the past but those aren't really in my budget even with the late summer room only discount that I got.

Since we decided on this trip fairly late in the game, we are still trying to find ADR's for a few restaurants we'd like to eat at (BOG, California Grill, etc.) but we're in pretty good shape otherwise I think. My dad thinks that because we are going during a time with low crowds we won't even need ADR's... umm... I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I've been working on a spreadsheet of plans for each day of our trip and once I figure out how to post that I will. Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
Yay for another POR PTR to follow! :)
I so wish I could convince my parents to go - but dad is such a curmudgeon he'd refuse even if I paid the whole thing and put him in CL at the Poly. LOL.

Yay for another POR PTR to follow! :)
I so wish I could convince my parents to go - but dad is such a curmudgeon he'd refuse even if I paid the whole thing and put him in CL at the Poly. LOL.

:welcome:

So glad to have you following along!

Has your dad ever been to WDW? I can't believe he'd pass up CL at the Poly!!
:faint::eek:

Last edited:

So glad to have you following along!

Has your dad ever been to WDW? I can't believe he'd pass up CL at the Poly!!
:faint::eek:

Nope, and he staunchly refuses to ever go. Says I can take Mom after he's kicked the bucket, since she won't travel without him. :confused3

I tell him he shouldn't give me that incentive. LOL.

Nope, and he staunchly refuses to ever go. Says I can take Mom after he's kicked the bucket, since she won't travel without him. :confused3

I tell him he shouldn't give me that incentive. LOL.

Dang! He doesn't know what he's missing - that's too bad! :crazy2:

Okay... I'm going to attempt to post my spreadsheet here...

Our plans will likely change a bit I'm sure and we'd still like to get some ADR's for different times. I finally found a BOG dinner reservation for 4:15pm but would rather have a later reservation on the following evening. I'm guessing park hours might change a bit too between now and September but here is what we have so far!

WDW spreadsheet.jpg

Last edited:

I'm here, I'm here! princess:

So much POR love! I'm going to be attempting to switch from AoA to POR once the military rates come out!

My mom is similar. I keep telling her I want to do a girls trip, just her and me, and but she has all these excuses why she can't. :sad2:

And... I have no clue how to do this... saved the file as a pdf but it won't post it except as an attachment?
Do you know how to take a screencap, and save it as a jpeg? That's what you have to do, then upload it. :cutie:

I'm in! Love reading along with people's plans, they give me such good ideas and inspiration!

Yay!! So glad to have you here! Yes, I have learned a lot already from reading pre-trip reports and trip reports on these boards and I'm hoping to get some advice with our own plans from everyone! :cheer2:

I'm here, I'm here! princess:

So much POR love! I'm going to be attempting to switch from AoA to POR once the military rates come out!

Woohoo! So glad you made it over here! I remember you saying that you're going to try to get a Royal room, right? Those look really cool! I hope it works out for you!

Do you know how to take a screencap, and save it as a jpeg? That's what you have to do, then upload it. :cutie:

Umm... errr... I thought that's what I did but maybe not? I'll give it another try - thanks! :thumbsup2

Well - the spreadsheet is there. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can only get it to show up as an attachment. :confused3

Well - the spreadsheet is there. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can only get it to show up as an attachment. :confused3
I don't save the screen cap - just hit ctrl+c+prnt screen to capture it, then ctrl+v and paste it straight in.

Okay, so I just stared at your spreadsheet for a while, I found one thing to point out... On Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, you have Snooze directly followed by "Bus to Polynesian," "Bus to AKL," and again "Bus to Polynesian" respectively. As there's no buses that run in between the resorts, you'll need to catch a bus at POR to a theme park or DTD, then transfer to the bus that takes you to the resort you're headed to. Because of that, you may want to schedule in just a little extra travel time on those mornings. :cutie:

Okay, so I just stared at your spreadsheet for a while, I found one thing to point out... On Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, you have Snooze directly followed by "Bus to Polynesian," "Bus to AKL," and again "Bus to Polynesian" respectively. As there's no buses that run in between the resorts, you'll need to catch a bus at POR to a theme park or DTD, then transfer to the bus that takes you to the resort you're headed to. Because of that, you may want to schedule in just a little extra travel time on those mornings. :cutie:

EXCELLENT point! Thanks so much for pointing that out. It's been so long since our last trip that I forgot the buses don't run directly between resorts. Aack! Thanks again - super helpful tip!!

Saw your post on elevationists report and couldn't resist following along. We stayed at POR/royal room on our last trip and loved it. I'm in to hear all about your plans!

So happy to have you here! I may have some questions for you along the way about your experience staying at POR! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter