Cat lovers- I'm nervous about my kitty's vaccination-UPDATEs!

ADisneyQueen

DIS Veteran
Last year when my cat was a kitten she had a reaction to one of her shots ( I think it was rabies). She had a lump on her neck at the injection site for a week or two. Now her shots are due again and she has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm so worried when I read how some cats get cancer from those lumps. Our older cat died 1 1/2 years ago and it was so hard for my daughter and me ( we had our cat for over 18 years). I don't want anything to happen to this cat. Rabies is required here in PA but my cat is indoors. I know she may someday get out/escape so I hate to skip the shots.

Last year when my cat was a kitten she had a reaction to one of her shots ( I think it was rabies). She had a lump on her neck at the injection site for a week or two. Now her shots are due again and she has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm so worried when I read how some cats get cancer from those lumps. Our older cat died 1 1/2 years ago and it was so hard for my daughter and me ( we had our cat for over 18 years). I don't want anything to happen to this cat. Rabies is required here in PA but my cat is indoors. I know she may someday get out/escape so I hate to skip the shots.

You could ask for a titter test to be done to see if she really needs another rabies vaccine. She may still have antibodies built up.

It's not exactly a cheap test, but it may be worth it to you.

I only do rabies shots. I think the others are unnecessary for indoor only cats.

They should be giving shots in the cat's leg, not in the neck. The reason for this is if the animal gets a cancer, they could amputate the leg if needed. From what I have read, the vaccine related sarcomas are most likely linked with the preservative in the vaccine. That is one reason many vets now only do one year rabies vaccines. These do not have the preservative. If your vet offers one year rabies, ask for that one.

My mom lost her cat to one of these sarcomas last summer. The tumors were removed several times, but kept coming back until they finally killed the cat :sad1:

I agree with the PP about asking for the shots in your kitty's leg. That's how my vet does it and basically said, "If anything ever happened, your cat can live without a leg, he can't live without a neck."

- Laura

Could it have been the Leukemia shot? A couple years ago my when I was getting my cats their shots the vet asked if they were indoor only and when I told him yes, I was advised not to get the leukemia shot as studies have shown that shot can cause cancer, but only if they are indoor only cats. My cats area so spoiled and used to being indoors that if they are near the door when I open it they run away and want no part of being outdoors.

Mine gets his in the leg/haunches also.

You could also ask for a recovery shot. My kitten had a reaction to a vaccination when he was younger. So now he gets a recovery shot first. I think it's between $12-$15. My vet always tells me the cost of shots/procedures beforehand.

This is why our Vet will only do a 1 year vaccine, not a 3 year. She said that there are less negative reactions to it. I would ask the vet.

First, be sure to report that reaction to your vet. Hopefully you did so at the time it happened, but be sure your vet documents it in the patient record. Then, ask your vet if they are following the AAFP (American Association of Feline Practioners) guidelines for feline vaccination. If they say no (or don't know what that is), find another vet. http://catvets.com/professionals/guidelines/publications/?Id=176
The PDF:
http://www.catvets.com/uploads/PDF/2006%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%20JAVMA.pdf

No core feline vaccine should be given near the neck. FVRCP (upper respiratory viruses) is typically given low on the right shoulder and is only needed every 2 - 3 years. The other two core vaccines are given low on the right (Rabies) and left (Feline Leukemia) rear legs. Rabies frequency is legislated by your state. Feline Leukemia (FeLV) is only necessary if your cat has contact with unknown/unvaccinated cats, specifically sharing food, water and elimination resources. So if your cat is strictly indoors and has no contact with any cats that go in and out, it does not need FeLV.

You should be able to request a few things to help minimize side effects/reactions.
1. No unnecessary vaccinations. Some vets give multiple vaccines every year, and, to be honest, this is just to jack up your bill. It also increases the risk they will have a reaction. Give them what they need, but not more than they need.
2. Separate vaccines. There are situations when a cat is due three vaccines in one year. We try our best not to give more than two vaccines at a time and separate the third one by 2 - 4 weeks. If it makes you feel better, you can even ask to separate all of them and only get one at a time. YOUR VET SHOULD NOT CHARGE YOU ANOTHER EXAM FEE. They should do a thorough exam the first time and basically just check a weight and temperature before giving the vaccine on subsequent visits.
3. Premedicate with a benadryl injection. Cost should be minimal and they should give it about 15 - 20 minutes to kick in before giving the vaccine.
4. Change the needle! Ask your vet to change the needle on the syringe after drawing up the vaccine before administering it. That needle has already been through two thick rubber stoppers and is now DULL. A sharp needle will be more comfortable and cause less physical trauma for your cat.

I recommend the above for everyone, but for you specifically, find out exactly which vaccine your cat reacted to and see if it's not one that you can simply stop getting. If not, be sure to follow numbers 2, 3 and 4 above. If the lump happens again, make sure your vet documents it in the patient record and never get the vaccine again. Especially see "Vaccination of cats with prior
vaccine-associated adverse events" in the link above.

One of my cats reacted to his rabies vaccine and got hives. Now they give him benadryl before the vaccine. I was told the dosage is 1 mg of benadryl per pound of body weight.

This is why our Vet will only do a 1 year vaccine, not a 3 year. She said that there are less negative reactions to it. I would ask the vet.

they are the exact same thing...the only difference is labeling and some states require it yearly (which is insane) and some every 3. I'd speak to your vet about this again to be clear. (Please see below, my experience has been with dogs, apparently there is one that is different in cats)

OP: My cat will be 17 in May...she indoors only. She hasn't had a vaccine of any kind since she was 3. I think over-vaccinating our pets is a huge problem. Our dogs get titers done.

Update- I did take my cat to the vet last week. I really like my vet and wanted to talk to her about the rabies vaccinations. It was disappointing to hear they would not order the Purevax for me. She said she stands behind the 3 yr. vac. But due to my cat's reaction last year she just gave her the other indoor cat shots and would give her the rabies next week. I guess she thought two shots may have caused the reaction lump. She also told me to give her benedryl when we got home and some more before she gets the rabies shot. I did not know that cats foam at the mouth for a few minutes when they get benedryl or other bad tasting stuff. I thought my cat was having a reaction to it until I looked it up on the internet.

Anyway, I decided to call a few places to see if they have the purevax rabies. One place 25 min. away does ( they are also a larger hospital) and also a small Humane Society vet clinic does too ( and they are close). So now I am taking her next week to get the purevax at the small clinic and I'm going to call my vet office and tell them why I am cancelling. I just can't get over that they don't have it. Now I have to pay an extra office visit at this new place but oh well.
I forgot to ask if I should still give her benedryl before this shot. Do other people give their cats this?

Update- I did take my cat to the vet last week. I really like my vet and wanted to talk to her about the rabies vaccinations. It was disappointing to hear they would not order the Purevax for me. She said she stands behind the 3 yr. vac. But due to my cat's reaction last year she just gave her the other indoor cat shots and would give her the rabies next week. I guess she thought two shots may have caused the reaction lump. She also told me to give her benedryl when we got home and some more before she gets the rabies shot. I did not know that cats foam at the mouth for a few minutes when they get benedryl or other bad tasting stuff. I thought my cat was having a reaction to it until I looked it up on the internet.

Anyway, I decided to call a few places to see if they have the purevax rabies. One place 25 min. away does ( they are also a larger hospital) and also a small Humane Society vet clinic does too ( and they are close). So now I am taking her next week to get the purevax at the small clinic and I'm going to call my vet office and tell them why I am cancelling. I just can't get over that they don't have it. Now I have to pay an extra office visit at this new place but oh well.
I forgot to ask if I should still give her benedryl before this shot. Do other people give their cats this?

I give my one cat benadryl before his rabies, but that is because he had hives after having it once.

It's hard to believe a vet wouldn't want to offer the one year vaccine as a choice. My vet will only do the 3 year if you specifically ask for it.

I didn't realize so many vets now offer the 1 year purevax. The bigger clinic I called said they've had it available for only 8 mos. When did this purevax become common? My older cat died 11/11 and I did not give her the rabies vax her last few years but she always had the 3 yr. I didn't know there was anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter