Casual Honeymoon Photo Shoot at WDW - what are my options?

Minkishly

I'm planning a honeymoon at WDW and am exploring the idea of having a short portrait session to commemorate the experience.

My honeymoon is a little last minute, and will most likely take place from November 29, 2016 to December 14, 2016. If I opt for an enhanced / mini portrait session with Disney's own photographers, would it be too late to get an available slot?

Also, would it be possible to get an external photographer? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Disney only permits photo sessions by their own photographers, but I might be wrong. If I can indeed source for my own photographer, do I need to reach out to WDW for any form of permits?

I'm sorry if I sound completely clueless. I hail all the way from Singapore and my last trip to WDW was 6 years ago so I'm pretty out of touch with everything.

Would appreciate any form of advice, thanks!

Welcome! It is not too late to get a Disney photographer or an outside vendor for a photo shoot on your honeymoon. The only photo shoot exclusive to Disney Photography is the pre-opening bridal portrait session inside the theme parks. You can hire Disney to do a portrait session during park hours (no bridal attire) or find a local wedding photographer who will do a honeymoon session for you. There is no form to fill out or permission required, although some outside vendors will only shoot at the resorts, not the parks, to avoid jeopardizing their relationships with Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings.

Outside vendors are usually cheaper, plus then you know exactly who will be shooting the session and can choose based on their work. With Disney you can request a specific photographer, but they aren't guaranteed.

Thank you so much! That's really helpful information. I'm fine with wearing casual attire for the shoot since I don't think it's an option to lug my ballgown with me anyway. I'm considering doing a shoot at Epcot or AK rather than MK so Disney Photography's enhanced portrait session could work out. I'll definitely try sourcing out an outside vendor first though. By the by, I love your wedding photos, they're gorgeous! You both look stunning. :-)

Just to clarify yes you can hire an outside vendor who may take your photos in the parks but technically it is against the policy and procedures as the photographer is selling you the images. If it looks like uncle Joe or Aunt Susie taking photos of you on your honeymoon then you'll probably have no problem but if you start to look like a pro taking photos they may tell you to stop or even ask you to leave the park.

Just to clarify yes you can hire an outside vendor who may take your photos in the parks but technically it is against the policy and procedures as the photographer is selling you the images. If it looks like uncle Joe or Aunt Susie taking photos of you on your honeymoon then you'll probably have no problem but if you start to look like a pro taking photos they may tell you to stop or even ask you to leave the park.

Ah, that sounds just a tad worrying. I might just bring this up when speaking with external vendors. Being an Asian couple, we already kinda stand out a little from the crowd, so I don't know if this would work against us. Plus we are complete idiots at posing and my fiance is a huge worrywart so I think he might be more comfortable going with Disney Photography. I'll have to discuss this with him and weigh the various risks.

+

Is there any way to have a look at individual Disney photographer's portfolios? I've seen some Pinterest boards but they don't always credit the photographer. I know it's not a guarantee, but at least maybe we could have a shot at getting a photographer whose style we like.

Ah, that sounds just a tad worrying. I might just bring this up when speaking with external vendors. Being an Asian couple, we already kinda stand out a little from the crowd, so I don't know if this would work against us. Plus we are complete idiots at posing and my fiance is a huge worrywart so I think he might be more comfortable going with Disney Photography. I'll have to discuss this with him and weigh the various risks.

+

Is there any way to have a look at individual Disney photographer's portfolios? I've seen some Pinterest boards but they don't always credit the photographer. I know it's not a guarantee, but at least maybe we could have a shot at getting a photographer whose style we like.

Asking you to pose isn't an issue. It is just if someone from the outside could tell that is a professional with equipment vs just a family member or friend trying to get cute photos of you. So they can set up shots help with posing etc but they can't have external flashes, diffusers, gels, etc that you would most likely have access to with a direct photographer. Also outside vendors can't disturb the show so you can't ask guests to move or change anything to get a better shot and they can't gain access to off limits areas to get certain angles and stuff like that. So unless you go at park opening or stay until park close you'll probably have people in all of your park shots.

Asking you to pose isn't an issue. It is just if someone from the outside could tell that is a professional with equipment vs just a family member or friend trying to get cute photos of you. So they can set up shots help with posing etc but they can't have external flashes, diffusers, gels, etc that you would most likely have access to with a direct photographer. Also outside vendors can't disturb the show so you can't ask guests to move or change anything to get a better shot and they can't gain access to off limits areas to get certain angles and stuff like that. So unless you go at park opening or stay until park close you'll probably have people in all of your park shots.

Good point. I think I'll have a look at some external photographer's portfolios and see if I like the effect that they've captured for their Disney engagement shots. Thanks!

Just a quick update to my own thread! We ended up engaging the lovely Jaime DiOrio for our honeymoon photo shoot. She is so amazingly friendly and talented. I'm really looking forward to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter