Castle Inn vs Park Vue Inn

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by lalasmama, Sep 27, 2012.

1. lalasmama

lalasmama DIS Veteran

It's down to these two hotels for our upcoming trip to visit our favorite mouse... Our general qualifications:
    • A "divided" suite of some sort so SO and I can stay up when it's DD's bed time.
    • Close enough to avoid renting a car.
    • Free of any hitch-hiking critters.
    • Fridge.
    • Coffee pot.

I've walked by Castle every day on each trip, and thought (on my way to my trusty Super 8), "Gee, Castle isn't *that* much closer, but what I would give to stay there and be done with my walk!" LOL.

I don't recall seeing Park Vue on my trips, though, I admit I could have passed it without realizing it, since I usually cross over and head up Harbor on the DLR side vs the motels' side. I'll admit that I'm hesitant to try it because of the potential of hitchhiking little insect friends, from BlackJack's recent experience... but the price is right, and the reviews on tripadvisor are hard to ignore.

If you have stayed at both, which one would you choose? If you've stayed at one or the other, sell me on it! They are only $16 difference for comparable suites.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. yaya74

yaya74 Mouseketeer

4. teach1abc

teach1abc Mouseketeer

I saw the recent review of Park Vue here too which surprised me. We stayed there last March and didn't have any issues. We went in with the expectations that we were staying in a motel not the Ritz (we stayed at the Grand CA the time before this). We felt the PVI worked well for us as a backup option when on-site wasn't an option.

We have a 4 and 8 yr old so it was nice staying in the suite at PVI. When they went to bed, we could be up in the other room. There was a mini kitchenette with a min fridge and even an oven. It was directly across the street from the cross walk to Disney. The offered a free breakfast and light dinner - not the best food but it was free and everyone found something to eat. One night we were back at the room a little earlier and we were able to see the fire works from our room. We recommended this place to many people after our trip. Before we go next time, I will definitely take a look at the recent reviews, because the person who posted the really negative review does concern me but I won't automatically never stay there because we did have a very good experience there.

5. disney4cam

disney4cam Mouseketeer

I know this wasn't your question, but have you thought of the Desert Inn & Suites? It's super close, and they have reasonably priced suites. I don't know about the fridge and coffee pot, though.

6. pixiewings71

pixiewings71 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Sweet!!! Totally!!!!

Also do a search for Castle Inn, my review is posted multiple times on different threads. All I know is I will never ever stay there again. If that was the only hotel I could stay at on a trip I wouldn't go to DL! And that's saying a lot for me. lol

7. mom2tinkandmickey

mom2tinkandmickey Mouseketeer

My sister stayed at The Castle Inn last Thanksgiving, while we stayed at Park Vue Inn. She said it was a dump, and would not stay there again for free! We have stayed at PVI at least 70 times in the last 7 years, and never had anything but a perfect stay. We actually prefer it, for the price and distance, over DLH.

I am surprised you are finding comparable rates between the two hotels. My sister stayed at Castle Inn instead of PVI because she was on a tighter budget, and Castle Inn was exactly 1/2 the price.:confused3

8. ExcitedSam

ExcitedSam Mouseketeer

We're at the PVI now in the two room suite and it is great! We have had no negative experiences, I even came in and checked the beds when we arrived! If I had to pick something the first few days we had thinner towels and the last few we've had nice new white fluffy ones! I also saw a big delivery of new TV the other day.

9. jordansmomma

jordansmomma <font color=darkorchid><marquee>DebbieLouWho Wendy

Don't stay at the Castle Inn, its a DUMP! I stayed their once and it was awful!

10. codimouse

codimouse Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

We stayed in a family suite back in march. It is not a 5 star resort but it was clean. We had plenty of towels for a family of 5. A king bed and 2 queen beds. The floors were clean and the beds were clean.
    Housekeeping was always attentive and left the kids towel animals, folded the kids blankets and always lined up their stuffed animals.
    It had a small refrigerator and microwave.
    On the 2nd night we noticed the remote to the 2nd tv was not working. Maintenance came right away and installed fresh batteries.
    It is an easy 5-10 minute walk to the parks.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

11. sonnyjane

sonnyjane DIS Veteran

I was about to say the same thing! I know there was the negative stuff about PVI but while I haven't stayed there personally, I know that Castle hasn't ever really gotten good reviews! Between the two, I'd still pick PVI.

12. lalasmama

lalasmama DIS Veteran

After SO looked at the websites and some reviews of each place, we've booked at PVI. Hoping it's okay. SO's "easy"--the last time he went to Disneyland, they camped, so he's thrilled that we'll have beds and coffee! LOL (So easy to please!)

We're crossing our fingers that we have a good stay there.

Like I said before, we're used to staying at the Super 8 on Katella, so PVI's location is a HUGE improvement, and, I'm sure, will seem like a much better vacation just because of the shorter walk... well, unless we see hitchhiking critters. Then, we'd be screwed.

Here's to some pixiedust: !

13. sonnyjane

sonnyjane DIS Veteran

In my opinion, location is SOOO important. I have stayed at several places on Harbor, some close, some far, as well as at Paradise Pier. I go with my sister every year and her favorite trip was when we stayed at Tropicana which was right across the street. She liked that trip even more than when we stayed at Paradise Pier because frankly, even if you cut through GCH, that was still more of a walk than I would like.

14. wannagoback

wannagoback <font color=blue>Broke them in before the trip<br>

I have stayed at Castle Inn twice and thought it was just fine! Nit nearly the same as DLH or HOJO but good for the price! A PP suggested Desert Inn and that's where I am going on my next trip. Check out the parlor suite, it has a separate sitting area with a door.

15. Buddyex

Buddyex Earning My Ears

The five of us stayed 7 nights in a kids suite about a month ago at the Castle, it was cheap and cheerful and the divivded rooms came in handy, no issues apart from the Wifi signal being pretty lousy, but with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker it ticked all our boxes and was great for the price and nice and close to the parks and food options.

16. kraken33

kraken33 Earning My Ears

I've stayed at the Park Vue at least 5 times with no issues at all. It seems there are a few horror stories about it but I've personally never had any issues. Looking forward to 4 nights there in December.