Castaway Cay - I thought someone said you could have skin issues from water?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Kristina - Mom, May 31, 2013.

1. Kristina - Mom

Kristina - Mom Mouseketeer

Hi everyone - we have never been to castaway cay - 1st cruise couldnt go there because of hurricane irene and 2nd cruise was from nyc to canada.

I had a friend mention that she bought special spray to put on skin and bathing suits before going in the water at Castaway Cay? I think it was maybe for baby stingrays??? Little bites/rash. Anyone else experienced this? If yes, what is the name of the spray?

thanks kristina

2. TwinPrincessMermaids

TwinPrincessMermaids DIS Veteran

We went 4/11. I had never heard of this until a few days ago. We swam at Pelican and snorkeled in the water for at least 2 hrs plus. I saw a sting ray swim by! (Camera was used by that point, pouting!) Anyway never got a sting or anything from anything. And we are pretty prone to rashes? Not sure about jellyfish season, can't comment on that.:fish:

3. NurseDave

NurseDave Mouseketeer

4. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

to hide this advert.
  5. bfamily5

bfamily5 Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the

I haven't been ...yet...:thumbsup2 however from what I have read on the boards, it's a spray to protect against sea lice - which sounds really gross, but it's supposedly microscopic jellyfish that "bloom" in certain areas during a specific season. Hope that helps, at least till someone with more knowledge/ experience jumps in. :wave2:

6. dandjfla

dandjfla DCL addict!

The product is called Safe Sea. It protects against sea lice.

7. jiminyC_fan

jiminyC_fan <font color=FF00CC>Missing Captain Mickey!<br><fon

Years ago I had an encounter with sea lice on CC but nothing since then. I itched for a very, very long time. Safe sea is a good product.

8. JohnnyTram

JohnnyTram WDW Expert/DCL Starter

Sea lice are a very common issue in Florida and Bahamian waters. If you happen to get bit/stung by a sworm, it is not a major concern. You can compare it to an ant bite. Of course some may be alergic and that could cause a more serious issue, but having grown up in the southern Atlantic waters, sea lice would be the last thing on my mind entering the waters.