Castaway Cay Double Dip

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by jerseygirl82, Jul 18, 2013.

1. jerseygirl82

jerseygirl82 Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I've done a fair amount of DCL website perusing, but I am coming up short in my search for an itinerary with a double stop or multiple day stay at Castaway Cay. Does this even exist?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. n8tivecaligirl

n8tivecaligirl Mouseketeer

Yup they exist, I believe there's on in nov 2014 4 day. 1 Nassau and 2 CC.

4. mrp4352

mrp4352 DIS Veteran

Fall 2014 the Wonder has some 5-night double dips (we're on the 10/1 one).

5. jerseygirl82

jerseygirl82 Mouseketeer

Thank you! I am a teacher so was looking at summer time cruises but maybe there will be a double dip during my fall break in November. Thanks again!

6. EvilQueensRock

EvilQueensRock Mouseketeer

We are booked on the Dream Oct 23, 2014 which is a 4 day double dip.:banana:

7. jimsubry

jimsubry Mouseketeer

I wonder why Disney doesn't put up a hotel there? :scratchin

8. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

The answer most often given is the bugs are horrendous there after dark. The few people who remain on the island (many of them go home to another small island nearby) have covered, enclosed walkways between the housing/dining areas for just that reason.

9. Husurdady

Husurdady DIS Veteran

.....We are on the 10/1 one ....too...I mean also. :laughing: :lmao:
    .....and don't forget about margarita-ville [Key West] between the two dips. :thumbsup2

10. su_A_ve

su_A_ve DIS Veteran

There are just a couple per year... We got lucky last year doing a 5n on the Dream with a double dip. This also was last minute and got an OGT rate but ended up on a 5e

11. jennylyn_b

jennylyn_b Disney Fan for Life :)

We are on the Oct 1 2014 double dip also! It's our first dcl. Tell me more about Margaritaville in Key West.... How do you get there from the ship?

12. Donna3271

Donna3271 DIS Veteran

It is VERY close to the pier. A short walk, or you can take the hop on hop off trolley.

13. tcecil1968

tcecil1968 Earning My Ears

We are going first time on the Wonder Oct. 6, 2014, which goes to Castaway Cay 2x!!!!

14. Melissa S

Melissa S DIS Veteran

We are sailing on the Oct 20th double dip this year. Last year when I booked on board I specifically asked if there were any double dips in 2013 and was told no. I only learned of this cruise through the DIS board :) Now looking into all the dates listed above for 2014....

15. SuperDry

SuperDry DIS Veteran

Bugs are horrendous in Florida as well. Ever notice on the way from the airport to WDW that many of the homes that back the freeway have back yards that are completely enclosed in mesh to keep the bugs out? Yet, this is not a problem at WDW as they have a resort-wide eradication program.

I think the real reason is that it doesn't make sense financially or logistically. If it were just for cruise guests, it would be a very expensive proposition to have a hotel with essentially as many rooms as the cruise ships do that are occupied only one night. And then the cruise ship would be sitting empty for that night, so guests would essentially have to pay for both the hotel and the cruise ship that night, even if there wasn't a separate charge. Then, how do you move people's luggage, get them checked in, and then out the next day?

To operate it as a hotel not for cruise guests, you'd have to have scheduled or charter airline service with service probably to Nassau, which would mean a connection for people coming from Florida and probably two connections for people coming from elsewhere, unless you also made the airport an international airport so it could fly non-stop to Orlando. Or at the very least a 10-mile ferry and a 40-mile bus transfer to get to Marsh Harbour airport. Not very practical for a short stay. And to make longer stays enjoyable, you'd have to add tons of activities to keep people occupied for a week or so.

16. jcriket

jcriket DIS Veteran

We're on this cruise as well, Key West is easy to get around. You can walk to almost anywhere. It's nice to still be in the U.S at this Port, you can use the phone, feel a bit safer walking around (just watch them chickens), plus they have an awesome sunset.

17. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

We are also booked for next year - Oct.

18. SnowWhite2

SnowWhite2 DIS Veteran

Nov 10th - 4 day Dream - 2 stops CC 1 day at sea

Booked this weekend - Yeah pixiedust:

19. Castillo Mom

Castillo Mom DIS Veteran

The double dip we did last year in June was wonderful! Really enjoyed the two stops at CC and we had lovely weather both times. Enjoy!

20. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

We loved our 5 night Double Dip on the Dream last June. Two stops at CC was amazing and we really enjoyed our day in Nassau also. We had beautiful weather for the whole cruise.

Enjoy your double dips! :thumbsup2