Castaway Cay 5k

I know about the Disney Marathon and Half-Marathon and Princess race and I keep hearing about the Goofy. What's the Goofy? Something about a race and a half I think....

Goofy is were you run the half marathon saturday then the full marathon sunday. :)

What's the Princess????

Thinking of registering for the half-marathon in Jan. Will keep me running after I change jobs in June. I can do a 5K (meaning, I can finish - not a record time or anything), but not sure about a half-marathon - 13 miles just seems so long. And when I looked at the route, I can't believe that you run from Epcot to MK and back to Epcot!!!! That seems like a really long distance!

Nevertheless, CC 5K here I come in June!!!!:thumbsup2

interesting! when I went on the preview cruise they had us meet at 8:45 in O'Gills and we left a few minutes after 9 to start walking.

Congrats on your finish! You deserve that t-shirt! Ours said adult runners and was listed under the adult stuff, so maybe they decided to change it to 12 and up!

Yep. If you look at the maiden voyage navigators on AllEars, the CC5K is listed in the "Fun for All Ages" section...

Do they do the 5K for all of the cruises? I am going on my first cruise in November on Fantasy and am interested in giving this a try!

certificates and water bottles was the "old way" of doing it back before the new changes as far as I know. The first time I did the race we got the certificates, but haven't since we now get medals. Medals = way better than certificates!

my race didn't do a group photo so not sure about that one!

Interesting about the certificates. In another DIS thread, a lady said she did the 5K on her March 26 sailing and they got both certs and medals. Guess it depends on the CM if they want to go to the trouble of doing certs. Why else would they go to the trouble of registering everyone with their name and stateroom number?

How do I sign up to run (Run/walk) the 5K? This will be our 4th Disney Cruise....second time on Dream. We will be there in less than a month....May 13th. I REALLY want to do this...have never done it before--or any 5k run. On my weight loss journey and thought this would be a good way to get in some exercise and what better way to run your very 1st 5K than on CC!?!?!:woohoo:

Is there a link or something on our DCL Check in page or ??????? Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else, but I couldnt find a link with the info.

Just ran the 5K on the double dip April 5th. They had the race on both days and we had bibs and mickey medals! They also took a photo with Goof in his running suit and said we would all get one but never did and didn't remember about it until we were back on land! so sad:(

certificates and water bottles was the "old way" of doing it back before the new changes as far as I know. The first time I did the race we got the certificates, but haven't since we now get medals. Medals = way better than certificates!

my race didn't do a group photo so not sure about that one!

Yesterday we got medals and certificates. The certs were on my fish that night during dinner. We didn't get a group photo.

It's seems like they keep changing things. For awhile there were no medals but now they are back which is exciting!

When I was on the fantasy the first week of December and ran, we only received medals.. Our proctor told us that the fantasy is the only ship that still has medals. they're in the process of switching to a new supplier.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Just off the Dream and ran the 5K. We met at Evolution at 8:15 and received bibs. The Navigator very clearly stated that this run was for 12 and up- but they didn't question my 11 year old and when someone young walked in the CM would say "Tell me you are 12." There were definitely some 7,8,9's running with their parents. Evolution was pretty full by the time we left- they said it was an unusually big group.
We disembarked at 8:30 (as did all the other passengers- we saw family members as we were gathering outside the ship). By the time we were all off the ship and walked together to the start- the race started at 8:58.
Two CMs were running the event. The last member of my party finished at 40 minutes- but they were encouraging people who just wanted to walk it - to do so, so they probably waited for all to finish. We receive certificates when we finished- no medals. There were plenty of shirts to purchase at the finish- no rush/didn't run out.
There were plenty of water stops. We were on a double dip- they did run it both days.

1KKH said:
" There were definitely some 7,8,9's running with their parents.

That really annoys me. I just don't understand why people can't follow the rules and teach their children to follow the rules.

Does anyone know if the nursery is open at this time? We are taking our 2-year old and I'm wondering if this will be an option. I struggled through the 5k last fall, but I've been training (and should have a 10k under my belt by then) so I'd love to have a better run this year:thumbsup2 if not, DH would probably watch DD, but we'd love to run together if that's an option.

travelgirl06 said:
Does anyone know if the nursery is open at this time? We are taking our 2-year old and I'm wondering if this will be an option. I struggled through the 5k last fall, but I've been training (and should have a 10k under my belt by then) so I'd love to have a better run this year:thumbsup2 if not, DH would probably watch DD, but we'd love to run together if that's an option.

Did you leave ship you can drop them off with childcare on the island. However the group will not wait for you so you have to be quick.

There were "medals" on the Magic in August. They are junky!

When I ran the 5K on December 11th, the CM said the Castaway Cay 5K was becoming an official Run Disney event. She further mentioned that a new medal was being created to match Run Disney's standards. Expect a much better medal in the future.

Also in regards to the under 12... Only 12 and older can get a number and officially run the event. Younger child can go with a parent but may not officially run or receive a number. My 7 year old insisted running with me this was his 4th 5k. If we were running in July I wouldn't let him run, because of the heat. FYI...There are ample water stations almost every 1000 feet.

heatherlynn444 said:
I did a recap with photos of the castaway cay 5k on my blog if anyone is curious. There have been some great changes like bib's and medals!

http://www.runningwithsass.com/castaway-cay-5k-take-two/

Excited to see this, Heather! I've followed your blog for about a year now. Just joined DIS in preparation of our 3/24/13 Dream cruise. Fun to see you over here and so excited to find out about this 5K!

Has anyone seen any strollers out there, or is that just super uncool :)

On our December trip, there was a couple with a jogging stroller. They stayed in the back of the group. The run felt like a "fun run" there was every type of runner. Serious ones in the front, casual in the back. There is recognition for doing the run, but since its not a prized event.... You won't ever feel like you are going to be mowed down.

The only problem with the stroller is having to bring it along. If your child is able to go into the Lab or club. They walked past the Cataway Cay outdoor club area so you can check your children in, while you run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter