Castaway Cay 5K

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by b00kw0rm429, Mar 1, 2010.

1. b00kw0rm429

b00kw0rm429 Mouseketeer

Anyone done this? I assume it is the morning of each docking from what I have read...Might be hot in June, but hopefully ocean breezes will help. Sounds like a fun way to see the island!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AbsyBabsy

AbsyBabsy Disney Diva

I did the 5K in July - yes it was hot but not bad. The worst part is when you are on the landing strip - sun on the pavement! Water is available on the route and during a good portion of it, you can "hug" the trail on the shady side. I recommend it - gives you a good tour of the island and you feel great to start your day. You also will get a certificate for running it.

4. cissy

cissy Yes, I can talk about Disney all day!

Is this done every morning on CC??

5. jackieslp

jackieslp Disney Mama

what time does it start?

6. shmoogrrrl

shmoogrrrl Tigger Goddess

We are considering booking August 16th on the Disney Dream next year and when I heard that I just had to use it as an incentive for my husband!

I'm on week 4 of one of those Couch to 5K programs so I thought that it would be perfect if I could do a 5K on Castaway. Of course, that is over a year away, and I plan to run my first 5K in early June, but what a great incentive to keep running!

7. DisneyWillow

DisneyWillow Earning My Ears

We just recently returned from our cruise and I had also began the c25k last fall with a hope of doing the 5k on CC. I never finished the program, only made it to wk6 :sad2: I was so mad at myself for not being able to do the 5k on CC (I didn't even try), that I have restarted the program and told my dh that we have to go back so I can do it. We are currently considering the Dream next summer :yay:

8. shmoogrrrl

I am on week 4, but I'm hopeful! :) It is getting harder, but I am trying to work through it. I can make all the running (even though the last bit is a struggle) but I just keep telling myself that even though it seems tough, a month ago there is no way I could have run as long as I am now!

We still have snow everywhere here, so I've been running on my treadmill. I have an application that I downloaded for my droid phone that runs the C25K program over my music and beeps to tell me when I should be walking or running. :) I like to say that it is idiot proof. I do need to get outside when we have paths and give it a shot there. I'm running the Race for the Cure 5K on June 5th so I have a goal to work for!

Where are you with the program? I think that a reward of running at Castaway Cay sounds outstanding!

9. b00kw0rm429

b00kw0rm429 Mouseketeer

Good luck everyone! I did my own version of couch to 5k 2 years ago. Last year I did my first triathlon and this year will work towards a 10k. Keep it up...slow and steady. My feeing was if I was miserable, I would quit. So I never let myself get to the miserable point. It's only worth doing if you enjoy it! This coming from someone who never liked to sweat...If I can do it, anyone can!:banana:Keep up the good work!

Laura

10. shmoogrrrl

Man, I hate to sweat too. I have a fan on my treadmill, so I am a bit worried about running outside! I need a fan to follow me as I run!

11. bridget

bridget DIS Veteran

Don't give up! I've been stuck between weeks 6-8 for about 4 weeks, but I keep doing the best I can. I couldn't run for 2 minutes when I started and now I'm running for almost 20 without stopping.

I still need a 30 second-1 minute rest after about 13 minutes, then I can keep going. I don't feel I could run a full 30 without any walking (yet). I've also been stuck inside due to lousy weather, and as soon as it gets nice, I have 2 other running buddies to run outside with, and I think that will help!

I've also been really careful not to push too hard and get injured.

12. Roveer

Roveer Mouseketeer

I did the 5k on our 7 night Tortola back in May 09. For me it was the first time running outside of the treadmill in the basement. Thankfully CC is mostly FLAT with 1 small exception. I was so happy I did it. I lined up with a bunch of seasoned runners who left me in the dust pretty quickly but I finished in the middle of the pack. Everyone recieved a "certificate" which I cherish to this day. A real sense of accomplishment. My wife and kids were proud too as daddy usually doesn't do things like that. I'd recommend it to anyone who is striving for a fitness goal. There is no stress, it's not competitive in any way and just an overall good experience. I'd say "go for it".

13. DisneyWillow

DisneyWillow Earning My Ears

I just finished week 2 of c25k. When I started it last fall, I could barely get through week 1, I stopped after week 6 b/c I really just didn't like running. I really wished I would have tried the 5k on CC. I'm sure I could have finished it, besides, some one has to be last, right?

14. AbsyBabsy

AbsyBabsy Disney Diva

I cannot remember what time it starts but it is as soon as they let people off the boat on CC - I have seen it on every DCL one I have been on. Just check the navigator or do a search for the prior 5K postings.

good luck!

15. shmoogrrrl

I fully intend to be last. :) Well, at least I expect to be.

There seems to be a lot of us doing the C25K thing. Maybe we need a thread on the Community board!

16. Pooh_Friend#1

Pooh_Friend#1 <font color=blue>Check out my year round tan!</fon

I use to do the C25K program until I hurt my knee pretty bad doing it on the treadmill. I am hoping when it gets warmer here I can start up again, just not on the treadmill! I would really like to do the CC 5K in January next year.

17. Jennifer in MI

Jennifer in MI DIS Veteran

I just wanted to encourage all you new runners here!!! You CAN do it! Stick with it. I started running two years ago. I couldn't even run to the end of my block! I've run various races in the last two years - my last one being the CC 5K in January after I finished my first half marathon at Disney!!! I STILL can't believe I did it!!!!

I've never had so much pride in an accomplishment! (Well, except maybe my kids!!)

18. mollygirl13

mollygirl13 DIS Veteran

DH and I are going on a Disney Cruise in May. DH is a Marathon Runner, I, however, am not. I can't even run to the end of the block.

I would love to do the CC 5K with my husband. I started the C25K program today and I finished Day 1. Whew! I hope I can do it!

19. jbm02

jbm02 DIS Veteran

Hi! Several of us did the Castaway Cay 5k last August. It was a double dip - so we got to do it twice! It was hot - much hotter than I was used to in NYS. There is one little spot that if you can't see the leader (ummm...I couldn't!) you could take a wrong turn. And at that point, I was the only one of our group still running. It is perfectly fine to run/walk this 5K! But make sure that you check out the map at the beginning.

BTW, as an incentive to keep running - we also decided to get together at WDW in March 2011 to run the Princess 1/2 marathon. OMG. I've never run more than a 5 K before so this might be an experience...:lmao: (trying to talk my DH into doing the Family 5K that weekend...)

Also, we're booked on the Aug 16 Dream!! In fact, my 5K friend and I both booked our families on the same cruise again. There are a bunch of us crusiing together again - it's going to be a great cruise!! Take a look at our cruise thread!! :goodvibes

20. Jennifer in MI

Jennifer in MI DIS Veteran

Wow! A marathon. I can't imagine. Congrats to your dh.

That said, you TOTALLY COULD do a 5K!!!!!!! Congrats on finishing the first day. Keep it up! Take your time. If you need more time to finish than the 6 weeks, take it!!!! How fun to finish the CC 5K with your dh!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! Seriously - I STILL cannot believe I finished a half!!!! Find a training program that works for you and DO it!!!!! Disney runs wonderful races with lots of time to finish.

I ran the half and the rest of my family ran the 5K. (Well, not the 4 yo!!) We had SUCH a wonderful weekend!! Just DO IT!!!!!!

21. sdchickie

sdchickie Fan of the Mouse!

Hey! you beat me to it, I was going to tell her we had several runners on our cruise too! See ya on our cruise thread. :goodvibes