Castaway Cay 5K First Timer Support Thread

I did it!!! My first 5K. Tuesday during our Dream cruise.

I started couch to 5K in mid-August, and ran the Castaway Cay 5K in 36 minutes. I finished in the middle of the pack. There were plently of people combining walking and jogging, and the cast members stuck around until the last person finished, around 56 minutes. We got medals, and they had plenty of t-shirts left. I didn't buy one because the are unisex...I wrote on my comment card that they should make women's cut castaway cay 5K t-shirts. I"d buy that!

They had a large crate to store your beach bag, and plenty of water stops, and appropriate signage.

When I was finished, I changed into my swimsuit and immediately ordered a Konk Cooler (there is a convenient drink station right behind the finish line). Later, at Serenity Bay, I had a Shin Splint. DH and I ate at Remy that night, too. It was THE PERFECT DAY.

I ran a little around deck 4 one morning. It wasn't too crowded. It's also really nice to go up to the exercise room in the Spa and run on the treadmill overlooking the ocean. We did that another morning.

Enjoy!!!

Congratulations to those of you who have run the CC5K for the first time!! In less than 2 weeks, it's my turn!!!

Keep on running everyone!

I know you will do great! I am glad you will have someone to run with - I was little lonely - just me and the lizards at the end :) Enjoy!

Does anyone here have any experience or advice for running on the ship? I understand that Level 5 has a wraparound promenade. can you run on it or is it too crowded.

Yeah it's on deck 4, and it was never that crowded. The first morning there were a few runners and a lot of walkers, but I was alone the next day. You'll probably dodge more workers cleaning the deck, especially early in the morning. Running around the ship while the sun is coming up is a pretty awesome experience.

Yeah it's on deck 4, and it was never that crowded. The first morning there were a few runners and a lot of walkers, but I was alone the next day. You'll probably dodge more workers cleaning the deck, especially early in the morning. Running around the ship while the sun is coming up is a pretty awesome experience.

Awesome, I was hoping there would be a place to get a quick run in on board :)
One question though for those doing C25K in colder climates: how do you plan on dealing with training at home in the cold yet running in the heat? Right now I can still run outside, but I'm quickly moving to the treadmill. I read that adding a 1 degree incline to the treadmill simulates outside resistance, but what about the heat? Do I start running with a lot of clothing on lol? We will be in Florida for 5 days before embarking on the 3 night cruise, but I doubt that's long enough to actually acclimatize to the temperature difference.

Congratulations to those of you who have run the CC5K for the first time!! In less than 2 weeks, it's my turn!!!

Keep on running everyone!

Which cruise are you on? I am on the 10/27 Fantasy. I plan on doing the 5K also. I did my first one this last weekend.

Which cruise are you on? I am on the 10/27 Fantasy. I plan on doing the 5K also. I did my first one this last weekend.

We are on the 10/25 Dream and I'm running out of time!!!

Need to get the T-shirts made!!!

Congrats on doing your first 5K!

My husband and I will be on the Dream Dec 2-6 and I really want to do this 5K! I have done several 5Ks and while I am still very slow (fastest time 48:20 so far) I really love them. This will be my first CC5K but my second time visiting CC. Last time I went (Oct 2010) I didn't even know there was a 5K. So I'm super excited!

Random question...does anyone know what size the t-shirts go up to? I wear a 2X on a good day, 3X if I want it comfortable. Just wondering if I should plan that $21.95 into my budget or not. :)

thanks!!

DW and I were on a double dip in July and did the 5 K on both stops. It was our first time doing the 5 K. It was a great time. But I would rather do it now than in July. It was hot then but I'll bet it is beautiful now. Had a great time and while I am NOT fast I don't think we'd ever miss a chance to do it again.

If I recall correctly, the t-shirt went up to at least 2x if not 3.

Akkkk! I just found out that DCL is already exploring other options for our Dream cruise (sailing Thursday) due to Sandy. :scared:

I don't wanna miss my first 5K!

Quick, everyone turns your fans so they blow southeast and lets keep Sandy away!!!

I did it!!! My first 5K. Tuesday during our Dream cruise.

I started couch to 5K in mid-August, and ran the Castaway Cay 5K in 36 minutes. I finished in the middle of the pack. There were plently of people combining walking and jogging, and the cast members stuck around until the last person finished, around 56 minutes. We got medals, and they had plenty of t-shirts left. I didn't buy one because the are unisex...I wrote on my comment card that they should make women's cut castaway cay 5K t-shirts. I"d buy that!

They had a large crate to store your beach bag, and plenty of water stops, and appropriate signage.

When I was finished, I changed into my swimsuit and immediately ordered a Konk Cooler (there is a convenient drink station right behind the finish line). Later, at Serenity Bay, I had a Shin Splint. DH and I ate at Remy that night, too. It was THE PERFECT DAY.

I ran a little around deck 4 one morning. It wasn't too crowded. It's also really nice to go up to the exercise room in the Spa and run on the treadmill overlooking the ocean. We did that another morning.

Enjoy!!!

What do you do with the kids? Since the club isn't open on the ship on CC days, and the club isn't open on the island yet when the 5K starts. My husband and I might try for this but if there is no place to drop the kids only one can :(

Sorry if this was already answered, I didn't look through every post.:rolleyes1

TempusFugit said:
DW and I were on a double dip in July and did the 5 K on both stops. It was our first time doing the 5 K. It was a great time. But I would rather do it now than in July. It was hot then but I'll bet it is beautiful now. Had a great time and while I am NOT fast I don't think we'd ever miss a chance to do it again.

If I recall correctly, the t-shirt went up to at least 2x if not 3.

Cool- thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I just started running last month, and I started at a 16 min mile. Last Thursday, i ran my first 3 miles ever in my life at 13:00/mile. This past Saturday, my time for 3.2 miles was 38:47. I have a sprained calf right now so I'm taking it easy, but I never in my 35+ years thought I'd consider myself a runner and I'm absolutely LOVING it now.

Our 3 night cruise is in Feb 2013. DS and I plan to go parasailing. I really want to run the CC5K and have it be my first ever official 5K race. I really hope that it doesn't conflict with the parasailing, and that we'll still have time for snorkeling with DS and Gamma afterwards. My fingers are crossed! :yay:

I finally finished our T-shirts - now let's just hope Sandy doesn't change our plans!

800x600

Just started the C25K training yesterday in hopes of running the 5K on the member cruise in Jan. hope they still do the run, if not I'll be we'll prepared to run in sept.

I'm running my first CC5K in November. I started running because of this race but ended up falling in love with running and have gotten a lot more ambitious. Now I'm planning to run the WDW Marathon in 2014.

When I started, I could barely run a mile and a half. Now I'm running up to 5 miles and getting better every day. Weird, since I hated running. I'm slow as molasses but I'm just starting out. I even started a blog to keep track of my progress and keep myself accountable. Its called The Fat Runner. :rolleyes1

afatrunner.blogspot.com

It's pretty amazing how a little race can motivate so much people.

Missypyxi said:
I just started running last month, and I started at a 16 min mile. Last Thursday, i ran my first 3 miles ever in my life at 13:00/mile. This past Saturday, my time for 3.2 miles was 38:47. I have a sprained calf right now so I'm taking it easy, but I never in my 35+ years thought I'd consider myself a runner and I'm absolutely LOVING it now.

Our 3 night cruise is in Feb 2013. DS and I plan to go parasailing. I really want to run the CC5K and have it be my first ever official 5K race. I really hope that it doesn't conflict with the parasailing, and that we'll still have time for snorkeling with DS and Gamma afterwards. My fingers are crossed! :yay:

I just ran it on Oct 20th. We met on board at 8:30 and it started at 9:00 so you will have plenty of time for other things. Make sure you go right over to Buy the seashore shop to buy your t-shirt they were hanging outside and there weren't very many. Good luck!

I am considering running the CC5K on our Feb Fantasy cruise. I just started running a month ago, I had started the C25K program last spring but stopped after week 5 for a number of reasons. Friends of mine talked me into doing a 5K mud obstacle run on 10/13 and I had only 3 weeks to prepare - I had a blast! We plan to do more of these races next spring/summer so I'm going to continue training. I am running on the treadmill right now but am finally feeling confident enough to take it outside (there are a lot of runners in my area). My goal in the next couple of months is to get down to a 10 min mile.

Good luck to all those running soon!

uziel5000 said:
I'm running my first CC5K in November. I started running because of this race but ended up falling in love with running and have gotten a lot more ambitious. Now I'm planning to run the WDW Marathon in 2014.

When I started, I could barely run a mile and a half. Now I'm running up to 5 miles and getting better every day. Weird, since I hated running. I'm slow as molasses but I'm just starting out. I even started a blog to keep track of my progress and keep myself accountable. Its called The Fat Runner. :rolleyes1

afatrunner.blogspot.com

It's pretty amazing how a little race can motivate so much people.

First of all ... Hola Boricua!

I think it's awesome your training for the 2014 marathon. I just got the bright idea to try the 5K and then a day later decided I want to work my way towards a 1/2 marathon. However this Cali-Rican hasn't run since high school! I'll be reading your blog. Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter