Cast Member benefits

tbssenterprises

DIS Veteran
Hi. Didn't know where to post this...so please forgive. What benefits would a part time cast member get? And, I'm not talking about somone that works at the parks, but perhaps someone who worked at one of their timeshares in HHI or Vero Beach? Thanks.

I would expect that part-time benefits are minimal, and that they really wouldn't change much or at all from location to location (i.e. a P/T housekeeper at HHI would probably have the same benefits as a P/T housekeeper at BLT). I'm not really qualified to answer, so I'll shut up and let someone who is respond.

I believe...don't quote me...

That wdw aligned Itself with the AHCA guidelines...
Which means medicals at 30 hours.
Time off would acrue according to whatever contract is in place...and Disney's perks - I.e. park and discounts are universal for full and part timers.

Disney always had medical for CR cast members. I worked usually 20 hours a week and had medical benefits offered (this was in 2006).

I have been away now for 3 years so I don't know what they are now but you used to have free park access, a maingate pass, access to cast connection and property control, CM discounts for restaurants, cruises and lodging. Stock purchase ability and limited 401K.

FT cast members had a better medical plan (I was FT for a while).

Sounds like Obamacare screwed the CR cast member.

Sounds like Obamacare screwed the CR cast member.

Completely incorrect and one of the worst mis perceptions in American history.

What Disney did...publically for PR...is bump the hours of the 20 something's up to 30 so they qualified before the mandate kicked in.

That's nice...
But what it's really says is "we
Just increased the minimum ON OUR OWN and will pocket lots or overhead cash longterm.

My wife worked for a company that had excellent medical for an average of 17.3 hours per week. got a letter last fall saying "inline with the AHCA; were increasing the minimum to 30 and giving you $500"

Oh...you mean your shaving 28% of your workforce off medical and pocketing a nice number in 8 figures or more?

What it said was that you had to give healthcare at 30...it said nothing about cut out existing policies for those under.

Starbucks...in a brilliant or move...ate $50 mil in costs under the 30 hour threshold and their CFO is out there making it a morale argument. Think their profits went down this year? Nope.

This is not the political...it's the fact. But the spin machine has mucked it up.

Health care should never be linked to one's employer.

Employers don't offer group fire rescue benefits, group police protection benefits, group trash collection benefits or group education-to-the-12th grade benefits, right?

Completely incorrect and one of the worst mis perceptions in American history.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Lots of mis-information being spread from all sides regarding the ACA. I don't think DIS has enough server capacity to handle this debate though, so I won't add on other that to say ACA set minimum standards for employer based programs. Many employers, including my own, already provided much better benefits than the minimum and offered it to more employees (part time working as little as 16 hrs/wk) than the ACA required. NOTHING changed at my employer (largest healthcare provider in the midwest) regarding eligibility except that coverage for working partners/spouses added a surcharge if the partner/spouse elected not to use their own employers program. I know many employers used the ACA as an excuse to cut benefits and reduce costs, but there is nothing in the law that required those cuts.

Now back to the OP, I'm also interested in CM benefits. My son who has some slight learning disabilities insists he wants to work at WDW. Never mind we live outside St Louis. He said our next trip to WDW he is going to fill out an application.

I was curious as to what the CM benefits really are. I know hourly pay is not the best.

j

I was curious as to what the CM benefits really are. I know hourly pay is not the best. j

The key is getting a full time role. Full-Time Cast Members receive some pretty incredible perks. Yes there is the free park entry for yourself, passes for friends and family, discounts on resorts, merchandise, and restaurants. But many local businesses also discount up to 25% off for Cast Members.

As far as benefits are concerned, there are three options for health with varying levels of coverage, and pretty low deductibles (<$2,000). On top of that there is Vision, and Dental. Basic coverage for both is generally free, but getting more comprehensive coverage is incredibly cheap. On top of that, there is long-term disability, group legal, free wellness programs, and FSA/HSA accounts.

As far as retirement goes, the 401k is company matched, plus there is a retirement savings account with is solely company contributions.

It is widely known that hourly roles do not pay well. However there are many opportunities for those in those roles to move up within the company. Heck, the President of WDW started out as a busboy.

You know what's funny...

Even with that impressive list of benefits on 9/18/14...they have declined significantly over the last 30 years in comparison.

And Disney went from a family run entertainment company to an international media and product juggernaut.

Your elected officials and financial planner would term that "progress"

Just an observation.

You know what's funny... Even with that impressive list of benefits on 9/18/14...they have declined significantly over the last 30 years in comparison. And Disney went from a family run entertainment company to an international media and product juggernaut. Your elected officials and financial planner would term that "progress" Just an observation.

I'm a happy employee that has no shame about drinking the company Kool-aid. I've been here for almost five years and love what I do, takes many a lifetime to be able to do what they love.

Just my observation :)

I'm a happy employee that has no shame about drinking the company Kool-aid. I've been here for almost five years and love what I do, takes many a lifetime to be able to do what they love.

That's good...

Even with the paycheck ;)

Get a job that you like and you will never work a day in your life!:thumbsup2

Are you friends with my son? :)

He doesn't need to see this or he'll be harder to live with for the next few years. :worship: He's only a sophomore in high school.

Unfortunately my love of Disney has rubbed off on him... hard. I just need to plan my retirement at about the same time he is mature enough for WDW to consider him. That's the plan.

j

You know what's funny...

Even with that impressive list of benefits on 9/18/14...they have declined significantly over the last 30 years in comparison.

And Disney went from a family run entertainment company to an international media and product juggernaut.

Just an observation.

Good thing you cleared that up, wouldn't want anyone feeling good about Disney or themselves around here.

You know what's funny...

Just an observation.

Wow, you just love spreading joy, don't you? :rolleyes:

OK, so back to the original question. If one was to work part time at a NON WDW property (Think Vero Beach, HHI, or Hawaiian time share)....do you think they would be entitled to this:

...free park access, a maingate pass, access to cast connection and property control, CM discounts for restaurants, cruises and lodging. Stock purchase ability and limited 401K.

Also, what is "property control" and how much are the CM discounts for the restaurants and lodging.

Not worried about healthcare....we've got that covered.:cool1:

Wow, you just love spreading joy, don't you? :rolleyes:

Lol...
You're way off bad on this one. I want better compensation for every single Disney employee.

And I know they don't need cheerleaders to strengthen their own agenda.

I'm a very harsh critic...but not for evil purposes.

Respectfully, you don't understand.

My point was to highlight that they have eliminated and decreased benefits steadily... BUT the rest of American companies buy and large have dipped below them...making them look "good" through the rosé colored.

It's not a Disney thing...as much as a bad societal commentary.

But hey...as long as we're getting frozenland...am I right?!?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter