1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Cast away cay activities

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kapoof, May 30, 2013.

1. kapoof

kapoof DIS Veteran

What are your favorite things to do and or book at castaway cay?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. abitagirl916

abitagirl916 Disneymaniac

My DD & I usually just hang on the Family Beach. We rent floats ($6 each) for the day, and just float around in the water, take breaks on lounge chairs, and then of course, eat the great BBQ lunch.

4. Ready4NextCruise

Ready4NextCruise Earning My Ears

A few of my favorites

• Parasailing was an awesome excursion
    • Renting bikes
    • Pelican Plunge slides

5. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

Ditto.

We also like snorkeling.

Nancy

6. TwinPrincessMermaids

TwinPrincessMermaids DIS Veteran

Snorkeling (we bring tails and goggles), Pelican Plunge, Volleyball (yes!), eat ice cream and fruit, make icecream floats, sit in a hammock, watch hermit crab races, do a line dance or two for island party, float on a tube at the end of the day in a mermaid tail while the staff started cleaning up the beach.

Those were all things we did with our day and it was great. We also did a lot of walking. Would have done 5K if Twinkie would have been up for it. (It's DEFINITELY on the itinerary for next year.)

We only paid for a bucket of water bottles to have at the volleyball all day. It was one of the best days we can remember on a cruise, with something for everyone and the Navigator that day is just as busy as the one for the boat!

We thought it was like going to a 5th WDW park out at sea. Just wonderful. I hit the buffet twice, and glad I did! With non stop walking, (we are never smart enough to take the tram first when we see a hundred people get on it), lots of volleyball, beach walking, tons and tons of swimming (it takes a lot to fight the current and get out to where the fish are), I was needing major energy that day. Afterward, we still went and got pizza and chicken tenders at 5:30 after riding Aquaduck and still were ready for dinner at 8:15!

We never made it to serenity bay. I will go there first and snorkel next time instead of the family snorkel lagoon. However, there was PLENTY to see there. You can do a search for a thread that was something like "What's there to do at Castaway" or something from a few weeks ago and a few of us posted some nice photos if you want a preview.

It would be very hard for us to plan another DCL that didn't go to CC...

:beach:

7. jrabbit

jrabbit DIS Veteran

we get the floats (mats/tubes) and kayaking (walking and kayak tour) - too much "guided tour walk - not enough Kayak, but still a lot of fun.

8. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We enjoyed hanging out on the beach - Serenity Bay for us. It was relaxing to just sit by the beautiful water and swim a bit. We also really enjoyed the BBQ lunch. I like photography so had fun taking pictures. And we spent a few $$ on Castaway Cay merchandise! It was an incredible day and we can't wait to go back.

9. DisneyBookworm

DisneyBookworm Earning My Ears

On our first cruise, my family and I booked the bike, float, and snorkel package. We greatly enjoyed the bikes and snorkels, but didn't have enough time to use the floats. On our second cruise, we didn't book any excursions but still found plenty of things to do. We went on the Pelican Plunge slides, played volleyball, played in the water, ate (of course!), and just relaxed! :beach: There is always something to enjoy.

10. Mickey Cruiser 4

Mickey Cruiser 4 Earning My Ears

Is the beach within walking distance when you dock at castaway cay or do you have to get transportation to it?

11. mstinson14

mstinson14 DIS Veteran

You can either walk or take the tram to the beach, but the beach is in walking distance.

12. suffieldhockeymom

suffieldhockeymom DIS Veteran

13. matt&jakesmom

matt&jakesmom DIS Veteran

My family and I will be going for the 1st time a year from now. What would you recommend for 1st timers. We are not looking to do it all but to hit some of the highlights. My thought in some of my researching was the 5K for me and then as a family the stingray interaction. My son really wants to do that.

By the way what is at the BBQ that everyone is referring to. What foods to do they have. And am I too assume that it's included or do we pay extra?

Thanks.

14. TwinPrincessMermaids

We were first timers too, with only 3 weeks to plan our entire trip. Had never been to Castaway and the only thing we knew is that the food was included. (And hadn't been on the forum either.) You are probably over-thinking Castaway a lil bit. Its a really easy day where you can literally do whatever you want (or nothing). Also, many activities you MAY want to do are actually going to be on the Navigator you get the night before.

So do your research, look into things like cabanas or stingrays that you may want to book. Otherwise, see where the wind takes you. You might just decide you want to sit in a hammock half the day, etc. Rather than ask us, if you want to do the stingrays, book that. And then leave the rest opened ended, that's my two cents anyway!

Also the food is sides like potato salad, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken maybe some fish I think, stuff like that. There is a BEAUTIFUL fruit stand and the drinks and ice cream is there, as are cookies (Didn't get any, but hear they are good!)

Think of it as a giant family picnic under the pavilion with lots of families all eating together. I hit the buffet with a lil at 11 when it opened and ate again before snorkeling at 2 just before it closed!

15. ODellfamly

ODellfamly Earning My Ears

The snorkeling is fun and the floats. Wait to snorkel until about 11 or so. There will be far less people doing it! You won't see much until you get out a ways where they have placed things under water!!

16. Mickey Cruiser 4

What is the best "excursion" to do at castaway cay. Or is it best to just have fun at the beach?

17. TwinPrincessMermaids

The only ones I know that you book specifically were the parasailing and stingrays. We did stingrays in Caymans and I don't think ANYTHING can beat that, so we didn't try. (We made our special excursion in Nassau to do the Sea Lion encounter instead. Wow!) And jetskiing. Jetskiing AND parasailing were both cancelled the day we were at CC. So not sure what to advise you except that there is SO MUCH already included that we were hardpressed to fit it all in! And for once, all we paid for were a few bottled waters to keep with us for volleyball.

18. Mickey Cruiser 4

Thanks this is my first cruise.. so i wasnt sure what you could do if you didnt do the excursions.

19. bajadahl

bajadahl I am the Pirate your mom warned you about!!!

Kind of expensive but I Highly recommend the Jet Ski excursion. It is a fantastic way to cruise around the island. I did it with my 8 year old daughter and we had a blast. It was a highlight of the trip for us. They take you around the back side of the island allowing you to go at relaxed pace or as fast as you dare to go with one CM leading at a blistering pace (Technically the excursions are run by Bahamian Contractors but I am using CM for ease here) another CM follows at the pace set by the slowest ski. We stopped at a beach on the back side of the island and played in the water and scoured the beach for cool wild life.

Snorkeling is also great and much cheaper then the Jet Ski's. My daughter spotted a sting ray in the wild which we thought was so much cooler then playing with the ones fenced in at the Sting Ray Adventure. Of course it was much smaller then the well fed trapped sting rays but we must have followed the one in the wild for at least half an hour.

I will see if I can dig up a few photos.

20. TwinPrincessMermaids

You don't have to pay to snorkel, just bring your own mask and fins! It is great snorkeling and very safe! (Although very very tiring.)

I saw a beautiful purple/blue sting ray as well in the snorkel lagoon. Too bad my camera was used up with all the crazy piles and columns of fish we saw!

21. bajadahl

bajadahl I am the Pirate your mom warned you about!!!

A Few Images from CC excursions

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]