Cars Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios?

zulemara

<font color=royalblue>Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!<br
Sources have been indicating for a while that something is coming to DHS, but chatter recently picked up and a source indicates plans are being pushed up!. Apparently Cars Land is on the table to come to DHS. The question is where would they put it? Most agree it the backlot tour and the stunt show in the back of the park would be eliminated to make room for Carsland. The stunt show is also extremely expensive form a labor and supplies perspective, so Disney may be looking for a way to eliminate it. If TDO doesn’t cheap out and does things correctly, this could be a great addition to DHS and help draw some of the crowds away from attractions like Toy Story Mania. Tom Staggs is also known to be visiting WDW this week. The last time he was seen walking around, we got the Avatar Land announcement. Stay tuned as this one develops!

Cars Land looks incredible at DL. given how many years construction will the Cars franchise have enough life if a Cars Land opened in 2015/2016?

Answer: Not Happening
Reason: Costs too much/ no significant attendance bump likely

Consolation prize: more shops/ bibbidi bobbiti boutiques

"no significant attendance bump likely"

I don't think this can be accurately said until we see what kind of attendance changes there have been at DCA as a result. Perhaps they'll be huge; perhaps not....but it can't be firmly stated it would have no positive attendance effects.

I don't think this can be accurately said until we see what kind of attendance changes there have been at DCA as a result. Perhaps they'll be huge; perhaps not....but it can't be firmly stated it would have no positive attendance effects.

The average attendance stay did not increase to disney's estimates/ expectations when they built animal kingdom...from roughly a 5.5 to 6 (days)average up to about a 6.5-7...that extra day is not a lot to offset what was probably 2 billion total on the park and times 2 on the other things in the area built in the run up to AK and aftermath.

that may sound great, but it doesn't justify the overhead to them. And any expansion to a single park is likely to result in most park cannibalizaiton - as in those that may have previous spent more time in the other 3 parks will peel some of their time away to concentrate on the park - presumably studios - that would have the new land...

that is a fact and is closely watched both at Team Disney and by financial analysts.

You will see this when the full magic kingdom expansion opens....attendance will "spike" at MK...but numbers will fall or remain stagnant at the others...resulting in a fairly insignificant overall increase to the property (assuming outside factors like ECONOMY remain equal). EPCOT - in particular - stands to be pilfered...but AK will feel it too.

So it's not really going out on a limb...its the story behind the story that governs far more decisions than most care to admit/realize.

But the proof is in the swamp: they have added no new significant guest areas in terms of serving more capacity since animal kingdom has opened its doors...and if you're fair - have actually reduced those spaces by partially dismantling pleasure island and closing discovery island and river country.
The only "additions" have been hotel rooms and even better guaranteed repeat hotel rooms in SIX new DVC locations since AK...

That's 14 years...its fair to say that its a pattern...i'm giving the reason...based on gut an just a little experience.
Take it as a reasonable theory or complete quackiness - your call:cool1:

Can't WDW do something that is different from DL? Do they absolutely need to copy what DCA has? Why not just do a Pixar-Land which encompasses all pixar movies instead of just Cars.

Jim Hill reported this about a year and a half ago. Good to see it's picking up speed. He had said it was planned long ago, but DL wanted CL exclusively to help boost attendance at DCA. He also said there would be a major difference between DCA and DHS. DHS' version would be based on Cars 2 and feature Tokyo in it's main attraction. He also said it would be part of a huge expansion to Pixar Place. All this makes sense with the supposed scale down from Avatarland to Avatar the attraction at DAK.

As far as Disneyland goes, Harry Potter is coming and he will be large. His castle will be seen as part of the Hollywood landscape. Look for big changes in DL to counter, primarily with Marvel characters. Remember, they can be used out there.

Sorry. He said it would be in DL exclusively for 5 years before opening in DHS. If that's true, construction could start right after the opening of the new Fantasyland.

Ewww, Cars2? It was a fun little movie, but it did not result in any emotional attachment like Cars produced. Plus Cars built on the whole Route 66 that many people relate to. I want to visit Radiator Springs. I have no desire to go to a Japanese party and eat pistachio ice cream ;)

Let's wait and see but I don't think they will make an announcement regarding Cars Land coming to Orlando since it's in its first year over in Anaheim.

However, the stunt show and the backlot tour would offer the perfect spot for an expansion. Plus, Pixar Place could become an entire land, even more if they change the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground to A Bugs Life playground...

jsebsirois said:
Let's wait and see but I don't think they will make an announcement regarding Cars Land coming to Orlando since it's in its first year over in Anaheim.

However, the stunt show and the backlot tour would offer the perfect spot for an expansion. Plus, Pixar Place could become an entire land, even more if they change the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground to A Bugs Life playground...

The backlot has been perfect for expansion since practically opening day...and there would be little reason to redo an outdated 20 year old playground with a dated 15 year old overlay...

The sentiment that Disney wants to do a large scale reinvestment/expansion in studios is not very realistic...based on the history of the park -my opinion.

Park expansion has been piecemeal and sparingly...frankly

If any expansion occurs it'll be a unique one seperate from carsland (although I could see a pixar land with cars elements) so as to keep a draw to Cali adventure and DHS.

umichigan10 said:
If any expansion occurs it'll be a unique one seperate from carsland (although I could see a pixar land with cars elements) so as to keep a draw to Cali adventure and DHS.

My point is why is there any reason to think that they would do such a thing?

Look at MGM for what it was meant to be...a compliment that feeds the bigger
Giftshops...err, I mean - "parks" later in the day.

They have added one decent attraction every 5-7 years in its now 23 year history and seem to have no motivation to do what is being suggested here: a new "land"...

So it's not even a legitimate rumor at this point. I see no advantage to them
Pouring 500 mil and devoting 3 years of concerted construction efforts at studios...

Especially since AK's needs are just as real and probably would have more upside if corrected.

My point is why is there any reason to think that they would do such a thing?

Look at MGM for what it was meant to be...a compliment that feeds the bigger
Giftshops...err, I mean - "parks" later in the day.

They have added one decent attraction every 5-7 years in its now 23 year history and seem to have no motivation to do what is being suggested here: a new "land"...

So it's not even a legitimate rumor at this point. I see no advantage to them
Pouring 500 mil and devoting 3 years of concerted construction efforts at studios...

Especially since AK's needs are just as real and probably would have more upside if corrected.

Why? Because that other Studios park is investing millions and millions of dollars right now and is going to have a lot of the Orlando area "spotlight" very shortly.

Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar, MK has FLE, Epcot is coasting along with new restaurants, eateries and a new Test Track......plus Star Tours 2 seemed to do almost nothing to help the attendance at DHS.

I think at this point, the question is, does anyone in TDO, or more importantly, the main offices have some pride in that recently renamed studios park to invest in it, before Universal takes all of the limelight.

ChrisFL said:
Why? Because that other Studios park is investing millions and millions of dollars right now and is going to have a lot of the Orlando area "spotlight" very shortly.

Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar, MK has FLE, Epcot is coasting along with new restaurants, eateries and a new Test Track......plus Star Tours 2 seemed to do almost nothing to help the attendance at DHS.

I think at this point, the question is, does anyone in TDO, or more importantly, the main offices have some pride in that recently renamed studios park to invest in it, before Universal takes all of the limelight.

As you know full well...universal is not on par or a legitimate threat to disney in orlando...not currently or in the likely future...

And in reality, it would be unlikely to see major investment in Studios.

We are more likely to see large investment in
A. Animal kingdom
B. EPCOT
C. Tomorrowland at MK
...before anything earth shattering at studios.

They have had plenty of tine and justifications to really make a push at MGM - and have passed on every occasion.

Its not realistic to think that now they'll reverse.

Just look at the initial "reaction" to potterville...they responded by throwing large money into the most heavily attended park on earth by a comfortable margin

That seems telling to me.

As you know full well...universal is not on par or a legitimate threat to disney in orlando...not currently or in the likely future...

Right, like I said, its a question of whether Disney has some pride left and wants to do something in the spirit of competiton (not that they ever admit or acknowledge their competition)

ChrisFL said:
Right, like I said, its a question of whether Disney has some pride left and wants to do something in the spirit of competiton (not that they ever admit or acknowledge their competition)

But that would affect the dividend, Stuart Scott's next pity contract at ESPn, and - slightly more importantly - the hundreds of thousands of stock options granted to a tiny group of suits at the top of the food chain.

They have to see a path to longterm profit in any move...it just doesn't seem like there is one at Studios on the level we all have wanted for two decades

Cars Land at DHS? Sounds great! They have the room to do it. DHS really needs something bigger than a single attraction (although we'd take a new attraction).

Here's the problem with this rumor:
1. Bob Igor was recently quoted as saying "We just spent 6 billion dollars on DCL and theme parks. We are pulling the throttle back on domestic theme park spending." This means they'll be far less domestic theme park spending in the near future. A Cars Land project could cost up to 700 million dollars.

2. Cars Land is really going to bump up attendance at DCA. If they create another Cars Land in Orlando that could impact the gate at DCA. It won't be exclusive anymore. I would tend to think DHS would get an exclusive land not related at all to Cars Land in order to keep the turnstile at DCA moving more often.

If you want new spending atDHS it is simple: the fans have to collectively stop spending any money DHS. This is how we got an expansion at DCA. For the better part of a decade the locals avoided DCA. Disney gave it away free to fill the park. During the same years Disneyland did very well. That is how Carsland was built.

Everyone needs to tell Disney they can keep their free dining. We are not interested. DVC members can stay at Disney and visit Universal and the SeaWorld expansion.

Or don't visit Orlando. Go to Dland. The new ships. Joe Rohde's latest ego booster the Aulani! See real quality at Tokyo Disney. Visit the real non-themed world!

This is the only way toget the suits to spend real money at WDW.

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts