Carry-on Question

Wow I apologize. Didn't want to hit a nerve or even cause a divorce. NWA has a pretty restrictive 22x14x7 policy (43 inch) policy. I wish it were AirTran which is a generous 55 inch and I wouldnt have any issue at all. Thanks for the information, I am out of the debate.

You didn't hit a nerve. 43"-44" is industry standard. Any bag longer then 22" (and even some 22" bags) won't fit in the bin wheels first. The question isn't if the airline measures the bag, few get measured. The issue is if what happens when your bag won't fit in the bin wheels first.

Airtran doesn't know what they're doing. They have a size limit of 55" but the bag has to fit in the bin. Heavy bags have to be stowed under the seat in front of you. According to a couple of posters some FAs are interpreting that to require all bags fit in the bin wheels in or be gate checked.

Passengers may have grounds to dispute paying to check a bag under those circumstances but are still in the position of having very little time to remove items that shouldn't be checked from a bag.

Look inside the bin. It should list the maximum weight that can safely be stowed. Something like 84 lbs.

ExPirateShopGirl has another bag - and, ideally, the picture of it - that's wedge-shaped and designed to fit under the seatback in front of the passenger. THAT'S what I bring as my carry-on, because (a) it holds enough for 24 hours in case my checked luggage is misdirected and (b) it's light enough, even packed, for me to lift over my head.

That would be this bad boy.... The Samsonite Spacemaster 15.

space15.jpg

Perfect for same day trips as well as those overnight trips where I'm unable to make it to the hotel before I have a meeting. The best part is it LOOKS like a rolling briefcase and not a suitcase. Fits my laptop (or netbook), files, camera, you name it. When we take longer trips I use this as a carry-on for our (heavy) electronics in addition to checked bags.

Perhaps a sign that I need more sleep??

week=few (well, some of the letters are the same):headache:

A nap may be in order. If you were me we could all write it off as a typical typo--but you can usually be trusted to make sense:goodvibes

Wow I apologize. Didn't want to hit a nerve or even cause a divorce. NWA has a pretty restrictive 22x14x7 policy (43 inch) policy. I wish it were AirTran which is a generous 55 inch and I wouldnt have any issue at all. Thanks for the information, I am out of the debate.

Well, the divorce IS being reconsidered now:rotfl: Seriously, we just kidd, it's okay, don't run away.

That is a nice bag:) I have never felt I need so much space--but good to know about in case I should find differently in the future.

Granted, the FA may make a rule regarding carry-ons for his/her flight. S/he might say up front that bags that won't fit wheels first need to be checked. S/he might say that bags s/he points out (perhaps based on eyeballing the size) need to be checked giving only a broad reason of the bins' being full.

Definitely do not hand over valuables. Stop and take them out.

space15.jpg

Perfect for same day trips as well as those overnight trips where I'm unable to make it to the hotel before I have a meeting. The best part is it LOOKS like a rolling briefcase and not a suitcase. Fits my laptop (or netbook), files, camera, you name it. When we take longer trips I use this as a carry-on for our (heavy) electronics in addition to checked bags.

Last year COSTCO offered a 3 piece Samsonite package. The bag (or similar bag) you showed, a roller bag that's sized for the overhead bin and a roller bag sized to check. The bags can be stored nested.

The bags are made OK but not great. Probably not good enough for Bavaria but more then good enough for those of us who fly a few times a year.

I have no idea of the quality of the set offered by Costco (and I believe their items are typically of better quality) but this single piece is quite well-made. It's the only piece of non-TravelPro luggage I own and it's in new condition after 4 1/2 years of weekly to twice-weekly trips resting at, or under, my feet.

Your comments also beg the question... is *anything* good enough for Bavaria? From what I read, her marriages rarely outlast the honeymoon. ;)

Last year COSTCO offered a 3 piece Samsonite package. The bag (or similar bag) you showed, a roller bag that's sized for the overhead bin and a roller bag sized to check. The bags can be stored nested.

The bags are made OK but not great. Probably not good enough for Bavaria but more then good enough for those of us who fly a few times a year.

S/he might say that bags s/he points out (perhaps based on eyeballing the size) need to be checked giving only a broad reason of the bins' being full.

At my airline, the flight attendants in the cabin communicate with the "purser" at the front of the aircraft throughout the boarding process lettingthem know how much room is left in the overhead bins. They are activly moving bags around to make space. When a bin is full we close it so I can look down the aircraft and have a good idea how much space is left. So when we say the bins are full we are usually telling the truth. Believe me, its a lot easier for me, if you stow your bags rather than for me to become involved in the process and to have to check the bag. (theres the "it will fit" conversation, the lets push and shove for 5 minutes workout, the "search for space", the "I wont check it" conversation, the flight attendant "hauling bag from back of aircraft to front" workout, the ask pilots to call for a gate claim tag conversation, the "oh I didnt think it would fit?" conversation with the agent, the agent calling for a baggage handler, the baggage handler running up to aircraft and retrieving bag action!)
In this economy on time performance and efficiency is key to an airlines success, even a one minute delay can have a huge inpact (not to mention the fact that I have to explain that delay to my supervisor) which is why such a huge enphasis has been put on flight attendants (and gate agents) to load a plane and have it ready for door closure as quickly as possible. The bigest hinderence to this is carry on bag stowage.
I do appreciate (and love) those passengers that board with a carry on that fits easily and those that utilize the space under the seat in front of them for their second bag. It certainly makes my day even more enjoyable.:cheer2:

I also like to remember that the flight attendants are there for my safety, not to wrangle my luggage into the overhead bin.

Your comments also beg the question... is *anything* good enough for Bavaria? From what I read, her marriages rarely outlast the honeymoon. ;)

Er, hallo, you are just jealous that I didn't pick you! Of course I went with someone close to the chocolate source.

And :snooty: I just had to order a new Longchamp market bag to replace my beloved fig coloured one which is getting a little worn at the corners and a little stained. Of course, it has been in use almost every day all around the world and it has seen many of the sames wonders I have seen. It doesn't get babied - it is expected to work hard. And my (German) Titan laptop case looks as new as the day I purchased it at the now defunct Hertie in Munich.

And yes, both my Longchamp and my JUMP carry on bags are 'good enough' for me!

I do appreciate (and love) those passengers that board with a carry on that fits easily and those that utilize the space under the seat in front of them for their second bag. It certainly makes my day even more enjoyable.:cheer2:

Someone loves me on this thread at least.

Being a devil's advocate here :stir: if said 27" bag that conformed to the 55" stated on the Air Tran site and had to be put in sideways...thus using up the space of 2 wheel in carry-ons.... but was being used by 2 passengers and between the two passengers, there was only the one carry on AND it wasn't so heavy that the passenger(s) needed to ask the large man sitting in the row behind them to help hoist into the overhead bin ... would that still be objectionable? :rolleyes1

Personally, I would just bring two carry ons since you can probably get more crap into two carry ons than that one bag.

Me? If I'm carrying on clothes and camera equipment, I bring a 21" bag and my messenger bag camera bag that will also hold a netbook (it'll fit under the seat). If I'm checking a bag, I bring my larger knapsack camera bag (it'll fit in the overhead). I hope to high heaven they don't weigh the camera bag because I think it weighs too much ... but I just bought a weigh scale so I'll know for my next trip whether I need to distribute the weight better.

They did weigh my knapsack once... Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. It was good to go....only...it wasn't what I had my camera in. My camera equipment was in a much smaller bag that they didn't weigh...it probably would have gone over but since it was in such a small bag, they didn't bother weighing it. :littleangel:

Being a devil's advocate here :stir: if said 27" bag that conformed to the 55" stated on the Air Tran site and had to be put in sideways...thus using up the space of 2 wheel in carry-ons.... but was being used by 2 passengers and between the two passengers, there was only the one carry on AND it wasn't so heavy that the passenger(s) needed to ask the large man sitting in the row behind them to help hoist into the overhead bin ... would that still be objectionable? :rolleyes1

It would take the place of 3 bags not 2. I don't know how the FA would keep track of which passengers were "sharing" their carryon bag. The question isn't just needing help carrying the bag. The bins have a weight limit.

It would take the place of 3 bags not 2. I don't know how the FA would keep track of which passengers were "sharing" their carryon bag. The question isn't just needing help carrying the bag. The bins have a weight limit.

I've often wondered about that weight limit. As I sit in the departure area surveying all the bags waiting to be carried on and see some that look awfully big, I wonder not only about how the heck it will fit but how much it must weigh.

And yes, I've helped people with their bags and I'm a very short girl. LOL But I'd rather help them hoist the bag up there than have them drop it on my head. (self-preservation is a good motivator) I do get annoyed with people who think it's ok to squish my carry on. If you want to squish it, please ask me first if it's squishable!

If you'll notice the Airtran site reads that items "may not exceed" those overall dimensions AND (here's the caveat) they must fit within the bins or under the seat in front of you. This doesn't give every yoohoo with a 27 inch bag the right to place his or her bag in the overhead bin. Think, people.
Most of the time that 25" or 27" bag won't make it through the x-ray machines at the TSA checkpoints.

Personally, I would just bring two carry ons since you can probably get more crap into two carry ons than that one bag.

Me? If I'm carrying on clothes and camera equipment, I bring a 21" bag and my messenger bag camera bag that will also hold a netbook (it'll fit under the seat). If I'm checking a bag, I bring my larger knapsack camera bag (it'll fit in the overhead). I hope to high heaven they don't weigh the camera bag because I think it weighs too much ... but I just bought a weigh scale so I'll know for my next trip whether I need to distribute the weight better.

They did weigh my knapsack once... Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. It was good to go....only...it wasn't what I had my camera in. My camera equipment was in a much smaller bag that they didn't weigh...it probably would have gone over but since it was in such a small bag, they didn't bother weighing it. :littleangel:

I'll play:upsidedow First of all, some airlines are onto you:cool2: as I noticed this while checking Martinair's policies for my flight on Staurday:
"It is not permitted to count up the baggage exemption of several persons and then, for example, take along one piece of carry-on baggage of 16 kilos"

WHY is this not okay? Well:
1. It is much easier to rearrange several small bags to fit into an area than one or two large ones. The FAs lose a lot of flexibilty to get everything in when a large bag comes along. Along the same lines, what happens if, by the time you board, there are several overhead bins with room for one normal bag; but no one bin has room for one oversized sized bag:confused3 Do we all have to wait for you to move everybody else's stuff around to accomidate your bag? And why does my stuff have to be moved because you did not follow the rules?

2. Larger bags are more likely to be overweight.

3. It is not the flight crew's job to keep up with which passengers go together and which do not to figure out who is or is not allowed the bigger bags. Can you imagine being the poor FA who has to explain to solo passenger X why he could not keep his oversized bag but you can becuase you are traveling with a companion? The arguments would be endless.

That would be no different than showing up to an airline which allows one free 50 pound bag per person with a 100 pound giant bag for the two of you. It is not what is allowed.

I have to come over here and flaunt that DHs entire little rolling carry-on will be full of German chocolate and candy Saturday morning--fish extender gifts for those lucky enough to be sailing with us:upsidedow (maybe some of them oare yoohoos or yodels or yokles or whatnot--don't know:rolleyes: most seem pretty cool though). Bavaria is not the only source of the good stuff:rotfl:

Yah, yah, yah. I just came home from grocery shopping on the other side of the world from most readers with a good supply of Bahlsen Christmas cookies, Lindt Cresta (not found in America - at least not the REAL Cresta bars), and Ritter Sport Olympia (the retired flavour brought back due to popular demand)

:snooty: If you have the right sources, you can find the good stuff outside of Germany too....

Yah, yah, yah. I just came home from grocery shopping on the other side of the world from most readers with a good supply of Bahlsen Christmas cookies, Lindt Cresta (not found in America - at least not the REAL Cresta bars), and Ritter Sport Olympia (the retired flavour brought back due to popular demand)

:snooty: If you have the right sources, you can find the good stuff outside of Germany too....

Yeah but I share with my fellow DISsers so nah nah nah:rotfl:
I am off to repack for the vacation now. luggage policy changed and we are not grandfathered in to what it was when we bought so I have to get us down to four suitcases instead of the five we have (or give up and pay--it may happen). This would not be a problem if we were not lugging 5 liters of German wine with us also (not for random DISsers--for friends who I happen to have net on the DIS)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter