Carry-on Question

Believe me - you are fine. The FA were very helpful with rearranging the items in the overhead bins. They had no problems putting some bags wheels out and not in. Flying AirTran was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had flying recently. I was very apprehensive reading the posts here.

Thank you for your response. I am not familiar with Airtran, so it is nice hearing from someone that has flown with them and dealt with their policies. Thanks!

Once again I agree with Bavaria!!! If you can't lift it in and out of the bin then don't do carry on. It isn't someone elses responsibility to lift your luggage. If you can't do it you delay boarding and exiting for everyone while you think you are saving time by carrying on the luggage.

Lifting the bag is not an issue. I do not pack anything I cannot lift myself, even though DH is traveling with us and he can lift more than his share and often helps others with their bags. I am not sure why this keeps coming back to whether or not I can lift the bag. I am not packing anvils or bowling balls, so it is definitely managable.

Well I have seen plenty of folks on airplanes that couldn't lift their carryon into the bin and expect someone to help them.

I also wouldn't go by one experience on AirTran on how they handle the luggage. I have seen my fair share of FA's get upset when they have to help with the luggage.

Thank you for your response. I am not familiar with Airtran, so it is nice hearing from someone that has flown with them and dealt with their policies. Thanks!

I also fly Air Tran pretty much exclusively and for the last year I have heard regular gate announcements prior to every flight telling people that if their carry ones will not fit wheel first, to bring them to the desk as they must be checked. Flying from Atlanta to Dallas last January I saw a man who kept trying to force his oversized bag into the bin, moving everybody elses stuff around to do so. The flight attendant saw him and told him the bag was too big and would have to be checked. He got very argumentative and said he was familiar with Air Tran's policy and the bag was exactly 55" and would fit. Excuse me, no way was that big bag fitting. After much arguing he finally handed the bag over to be checked. I've posted before that I've seen people's carry ons measured and how the airlines always seem to measure on the side of the airlines, not the consumer.

My suggestion is since you are determined to listen only to the people who are telling you what you want to hear, to go ahead and try to use the bag and then report back to us what happened when you get back. Good luck!

My suggestion is since you are determined to listen only to the people who are telling you what you want to hear, to go ahead and try to use the bag and then report back to us what happened when you get back. Good luck!

Actually I welcome both sides of the argument from anyone with experience with Airtran and their carry-on policy, including yourself. Since I do not have any experience with this airline I have been looking for constructive feedback, not a personal attack simply because I looked at the airline's website and based my question on the info they had posted. Because to me it seemed very generous and raised the question. If I was just going to "do my own thing" I would not have come here looking for input. Once again these boards have proven to be a wealth of (non-judgemental) information! :rolleyes:

As a Flight Attendant I can tell you that carry on bags are a huge problem in my flying day. My philosophy is "you pack it, you haul it" and I make sure I stick to that rule with my flight bags. If you are injured or for some reason unable to lift your bag and have packed appropriately (ie lightly) then I dont mind assisting. However, if we fly say 3 flights a day, with 170 plus people on each flight, that can potentially mean a a lot of lifting for us and potential for injuries. I can tell you that one of the highest injury rates for flight attendants is lifting injuries!
The only time I see "measuring" going on is visually....we can spot an oversize bag at a distance as can the gate agents which is when they will usally measure the bag.
I use either a 21 inch travelpro rollon or a 22 inch both of which fit wheels in to an overhead bin.....do not stuff the outside pockets because no matter how much you want that bag to fit and no matter how much you complain that it fit onthe last flight..it wont fit!!!!.
With fuller flights and more people opting to carry on bags I would personally bring on a smaller bag which can fit easily or at least get on the aircraft first!
Oh and be nice to your flight attendants...its not our fault that your bag wont fit...and you never know we may find a secret little spot to put that bag in!
Happy travels
:cloud9:

Once again these boards have proven to be a wealth of (non-judgemental) information! :rolleyes:
#1 FYI, sarcastic comments on a message board tend to be met with sarcasm back...... or at least some readers will inject sarcasm when reading..... things go both ways...

#2 This is a discussion board. Things tend to go on tangents..... Many people have varying reasons as to why they want to carry on such a large bag. Some want to save on the baggage fee, some don't trust baggage handlers, some just want to be able to skip baggage claim all together... who knows... but the conversations within a thread always tend to go in all directions.

#3 I have flown Airtran. Their carry on policy is very generous and I am not sure why it is so big. BUT, just because it is what it is, doesn't mean that a bag that big should be carried on. As stated, a large bag that is 27" long will not fit straight in. It will have to be put in sideways and will be taking up the majority of the bin space. I suggest to anyone.... use some common sense and be respectful of others around you. If you can't fit a bag wheels in, then don't carry it on.

Last year, there was discussion on another board I frequent saying that someone was going to carry on bowling balls. They have a 3 ball rolling bowling bag that fit within the guidelines. Do the math. 3 bowing balls at 15 pounds each, plus the bag, plus shoes and accessories comes to about 60 pounds. Now, I am a big, strong man, but I could never lift that into the bin without hurting myself or someone else! Not saying anyone here is going to do that, but it was suggested over on another board. Consider the weight alone in the overhead bin.. I wouldn't want to sit below that if we hit severe turbulance!

Have a nice day!

Duds

Oh and be nice to your flight attendants...its not our fault that your bag wont fit...and you never know we may find a secret little spot to put that bag in!
Happy travels

My favorite post, ever!!!! :thumbsup2

As a Flight Attendant I can tell you that carry on bags are a huge problem in my flying day. My philosophy is "you pack it, you haul it" and I make sure I stick to that rule with my flight bags. If you are injured or for some reason unable to lift your bag and have packed appropriately (ie lightly) then I dont mind assisting. However, if we fly say 3 flights a day, with 170 plus people on each flight, that can potentially mean a a lot of lifting for us and potential for injuries. I can tell you that one of the highest injury rates for flight attendants is lifting injuries!
The only time I see "measuring" going on is visually....we can spot an oversize bag at a distance as can the gate agents which is when they will usally measure the bag.
I use either a 21 inch travelpro rollon or a 22 inch both of which fit wheels in to an overhead bin.....do not stuff the outside pockets because no matter how much you want that bag to fit and no matter how much you complain that it fit onthe last flight..it wont fit!!!!.
With fuller flights and more people opting to carry on bags I would personally bring on a smaller bag which can fit easily or at least get on the aircraft first!
Happy travels

Thank you for your response. It is helpful to hear from someone in the business that has dealt with this from a different perspective. Thanks again!!!

Lifting the bag is not an issue. I do not pack anything I cannot lift myself, even though DH is traveling with us and he can lift more than his share and often helps others with their bags. I am not sure why this keeps coming back to whether or not I can lift the bag. I am not packing anvils or bowling balls, so it is definitely managable.

Probably because it is an issue many people fail to take into account until they are on the plane. OFTEN people who are not frequent fliers do not even think of some issues (like getting a heavy carry on into an overhead bin, or the possiblity of not being seated with their party, etc.). It can be helpful when someone here throws out possibly relevant information and the novice flier is then alerted to a previosuly unforseen issue.

Happy travels

:worship:I see FAs put up with about as much as Disney CMs. 95% of the time I am so impressed by how FAs handle everything. The other 5% are jsut the usual bad apples in any profession.

#1 FYI, sarcastic comments on a message board tend to be met with sarcasm back...... or at least some readers will inject sarcasm when reading..... things go both ways...

#2 This is a discussion board.

#3 I have flown Airtran. Their carry on policy is very generous and I am not sure why it is so big. BUT, just because it is what it is, doesn't mean that a bag that big should be carried on.
Duds

Thank you for your response. Sometimes it is difficult to not inject sarcasm when you feel like you're being attacked for asking a question. It seems that people are quick to judge and assume you're trying to cheat the system when it goes against what they believe or what the other airlines allow.

I was going by the 55 inch statement on their site. I thought that was large too, but I also thought maybe their overhead bins were larger. That is why I posted and asked about it. Truly to get information regarding Airtran, not looking for ways to "beat the system".

These boards are not always the friendliest and it is hard to "discuss" topics when you're getting slammed.

I just wonder how many people don't listen to the good advice given here? Then when it happens the way they were warned about on the DIS do they think hmmm they were right?

I like this woman, and not just because she and I use the same bags on flights. I hope she stays and continues to post...

:goodvibes

Happy travels

I will probably just go ahead and use a smaller bag. I believe the one I have is 24". I am flying with my husband, 2 children and in-laws, all in assigned seats next to one another. Since I know my kids bags are smalller and it is relatives in front and back of us, I wasn't trying to inconvience other travelers for overhead space. I know who is there and what they are carrying on. I wasn't trying to pull one over on anyone but just wanted to know if NWA/Delta really does measure their bags. I figured the 2 inches would be forgiven within the compartment with the smaller kids bags and I wouldn't hurt anyone else. Sorry about creating such a hot topic issue.

I like this woman, and not just because she and I use the same bags on flights. I hope she stays and continues to post...

:goodvibes

I do to. I actually said, "I love you" in my response, but then edited it out since I really didn't know the poster was a woman....... no need to start any more rumors around here! LOL

I will probably just go ahead and use a smaller bag. I believe the one I have is 24". I am flying with my husband, 2 children and in-laws, all in assigned seats next to one another. Since I know my kids bags are smalller and it is relatives in front and back of us, I wasn't trying to inconvience other travelers for overhead space. I know who is there and what they are carrying on. I wasn't trying to pull one over on anyone but just wanted to know if NWA/Delta really does measure their bags. I figured the 2 inches would be forgiven within the compartment with the smaller kids bags and I wouldn't hurt anyone else. Sorry about creating such a hot topic issue.

Everything can be a hot topic around here......

I did want to add that many people stated that they have never been measured. I have never been measured ever, but then again, I have always been within guidelines. The big thing is anyone "could" be checked... as our new flight attendant stated, they can spot an oversized bag a long ways away. I just wouldn't want to worry about something like that on a trip.

Personally, I use a normal backpack as my carry on. I hate having to get up to take stuff out of my carry on during flight. I keep my laptop and other stuff in the backpack and put it under the seat. If I am flying with a roll-a-board, I put that in the bin and forget about it until I land....

Have a nice day!

Duds

I do to. I actually said, "I love you" in my response, but then edited it out since I really didn't know the poster was a woman....... no need to start any more rumors around here! LOL

Meh - Bavaria just married someone in another thread. It's all good.

21" or 22" bags will generally fit in the bin wheels in. I don't think a 24" bag will fit.

A FA might require oversized bags get "gate checked". The first question is if the airline will charge the normal checked bag fees. The second question is if the passenger has enough time to remove items that don't belong in a checked bag. Medicine, electronic equipment etc.

Try not to feel too attacked:flower3:. This is just a board where people tell it like it is. Whose tag says "there is no pixie dust on the transportation board?" :confused3

It sounds like you have it all figured out now, so that is good. I do want to point out (for those others who may be reading this--obviously it is a non issue for you with the two smaller bags) that you do not "own" the overhead bins above you. You might get to use those bins (and I think it is very rude when people walk on the plane and stick their stuff in the first available bin rather than going near their own seats) BUT not everyone has a bin in their area (some are taken up with flight equipment, etc.) so taking up extra bin space can take that away from anyone on the flight not jsut those seated in the rows around you.

As a Flight Attendant I can tell you that carry on bags are a huge problem in my flying day. ..., that can potentially mean a a lot of lifting for us and potential for injuries. I can tell you that one of the highest injury rates for flight attendants is lifting injuries!9:
Flight attendants need to start a fad. If asked to help with a bag, use just one hand halfheartedly to get a feel for it. If the bag seems too heavy, have the passenger temporarioly shove it behind a seat and then "go to get help" in the form of another FA.

Big guys with back problems need to start a fad. If asked to help ... (copy the words above up to ) ... form of another big guy (after first getting one's own baggage and family settled).

Wives of big guys with back problems need to start a fad. Help make the previous paragraph come about because men don't ask for directions on their own and this may include not asking for help either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter