Carry on luggage, a few questions, Please need a bit a help.

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
We travel and normally check at least one bag. But this year we have several trips planned, some long weekends, but no non-stops are offered when our time frame is. We are wanting just to carry on, so each one roller bag, then some sort of personal bag.

Here's the first question..

We have a friend that travels weekly and he has a rolling Garment bag that he carry's on, and I have seen these going through security and getting on the plane. I have thought is that allowed? It looks like a regular garment bag ( think a tux's bag but sturdier more structured) it has a solid bottom and top and wheels and pull up handle with shoulder strap. It would lay flat to pack then folds in half, and has some kind of zippers to secure. It looks like a oversized lap top, computer bag. He carries this and a traditional style wheelie carry on. I know that the measurements are larger than the typical carryon, he said it doesn't matter it the total square measurement that counts. I just saw a man when I was leaving New York with one, he put the garment bag over the shoulder and rolled the other right on the plane.

Anyone know if this type bag is allowed?

Next questions,

What is consider a liquid? shampoo/ conditioner which is really a cream and does not pour out only when the tube is squeezed. Bath shower gel?

What about cream makeup in a jar or tube? and the gel type moisturizer?

Toothpaste gel ~ paste?

The reason I asked this as when going through security they made my friend throw away her gel toothpaste but my regular toothpaste was fine. They were both the travel size? Also the lady in front of us they made her throw out her shampoo and conditioner in a tube while over the size limit, the shampoo/cream ( John Frieda) was a cream not a traditional liquid like ( Sauvé), and you could tell that the tubes where not full, the TSA agent said I go by what's on the container..

Last question-
I have very light complexion, so sunscreen is a must, and on top I have very sensitive skin, so I can only use one type of sunscreen, I use a sports spray on... any issue with carrying on full size of these, We would carry on one in each bag.

Final question...really

We have our own snorkel equipment can this be carried on?

Thanks

Call the airline.

I went on line and reading through the TSA rules my goodness... nothing is defined. There not a defined list.

When I called and spoke to a real person well I thought they were real... I got a vague answer and then he was like really it depends on the TSA employee and how they are feeling? and you need to look it up on line, and did I know the definition of liquid. That the airline doesn't make the rules. So basically a wasted call.

We travel and normally check at least one bag. But this year we have several trips planned, some long weekends, but no non-stops are offered when our time frame is. We are wanting just to carry on, so each one roller bag, then some sort of personal bag.

We have a friend that travels weekly and he has a rolling Garment bag that he carry's on, and I have seen these going through security and getting on the plane. I have thought is that allowed? It looks like a regular garment bag ( think a tux's bag but sturdier more structured) it has a solid bottom and top and wheels and pull up handle with shoulder strap. It would lay flat to pack then folds in half, and has some kind of zippers to secure. It looks like a oversized lap top, computer bag. He carries this and a traditional style wheelie carry on. I know that the measurements are larger than the typical carryon, he said it doesn't matter it the total square measurement that counts. I just saw a man when I was leaving New York with one, he put the garment bag over the shoulder and rolled the other right on the plane.

Anyone know if this type bag is allowed? You are allowed one carryon type bag (such as a roller bag) and one personal (backpack or purse). They must fit under the seat or in the overhead. If they are too large they will make you gate check them, especially if it's a full flight and overhead space is at a premium.

Next questions,

What is consider a liquid? shampoo/ conditioner which is really a cream and does not pour out only when the tube is squeezed. Bath shower gel? They are all liquids and must go by the 3-1-1 rule.

What about cream makeup in a jar or tube? and the gel type moisturizer? Liquid and 3-1-1 rule

Toothpaste gel ~ paste? Liquid and 3-1-1 rule

The reason I asked this as when going through security they made my friend throw away her gel toothpaste but my regular toothpaste was fine. They were both the travel size? Also the lady in front of us they made her throw out her shampoo and conditioner in a tube while over the size limit, the shampoo/cream ( John Frieda) was a cream not a traditional liquid like ( Sauvé), and you could tell that the tubes where not full, the TSA agent said I go by what's on the container.. Most TSA agents do not go by what is left in a large bottle, but make you still follow the 3-1-1 Rule. Someone was lucky when they were allowed the larger container to pass.

Last question-
I have very light complexion, so sunscreen is a must, and on top I have very sensitive skin, so I can only use one type of sunscreen, I use a sports spray on... any issue with carrying on full size of these, We would carry on one in each bag. 3-1-1 Rule applies to this as well.

Basically, if you can spill, spread, pour, or squeeze the substance it falls into the 3-1-1 Rule.

Final question...really

We have our own snorkel equipment can this be carried on? Yes, if it fits in a bag that can be stowed under your seat or in the overhead.

Thanks

If a substance keeps it shape, when removed from the container, TSA doesn't consider it a 'liquid'. A container has to be 3.4oz in order to go in your carry on bag. If the container is 6oz but only half full? Nope. Has to be 3.4.
Toothpaste, shampoos/conditioners, creams, etc. are all considered liquid. Heck, some TSA people consider Chapstick, lipstick and mascara 'liquids'.
If you can't get by with this size, I would recommend shipping a box prior to travel.

My MIL had to throw out a small yogurt she had packed for the flight. Can you buy it at your destination?

This is based on what I've seen at the Atlanta Airport and what I've read about the 3-1-1 quart size bag issue.

For the 3-1-1 issue - As long as the container for each liquid is 3 oz. or less and in a quart size bag that closes - it is ok to go in your carry on - you get one per person. The toothpaste thing that happened to your friend was strange - as long as it was less than 3 oz. and in the quart size bag, it should have been ok. Guess the TSA person was being extra picky that day.

Peanut Butter - buy the small individual package things and put them in a quart size bag and as long as it's your only one, I would think it would be ok - I put one of these into my 3-1-1 bag and it was fine but it was only one little individual package thing. Witnessed a person having to throw away a small container of peanut butter at the Atlanta Airport because it was a no-no for the carry-on bag.

Sunscreen - personally witnessed several people having to throw away full cans of sunscreen - they were spray on and not allowed in their carry on.

Garment Bags - witnessed 2 men on the last flight I was on have to gate check them. They were bigger than the allowed size. Neither man was happy about it.

Are people pulling out their 1 quart bag and sending them through separately? Or are they leaving them inside the carry-on for x-ray and then TSA is pulling them out accidentally. I often forget to pull out my eye drops, leaving them in my fanny pack, and I've never been stopper over that. Usually they're the only liquid I'll have.

The airlines are a good source of info but sometimes they mess up too because it's up to security. From my experiences...

Don't take expensive toiletries in carry on. it's not as painful when they toss the Bed, Bath and Beyond 3 for $10 lotion. Pack the stuff and let security decide, be prepared to buy when you get to your destination. i don't think I've had anything thrown away except my tweezers. 'this is a hijacking, nobody move or I'll do your eyebrows!"

The airlines are a good source of info but sometimes they mess up too because it's up to security. From my experiences...

Don't take expensive toiletries in carry on. it's not as painful when they toss the Bed, Bath and Beyond 3 for $10 lotion. Pack the stuff and let security decide, be prepared to buy when you get to your destination. i don't think I've had anything thrown away except my tweezers. 'this is a hijacking, nobody move or I'll do your eyebrows!"

Let's not forget lighters are allowed but matches aren't and you can take all the liquids you want so long as they are prescription drugs or items needed to keep prescription drugs cold and they don't need to be labeled.

I was curious about this because due to some recent health issues I will now have to carry injectable medication with me and was wondering how that worked while traveling. According to the TSA website I can take all the preloaded syringes I want and they don't even have to be labeled. But all you people trying to take more than two days worth of toothpaste are suspect.

Anyone know if this type bag is allowed?

It depends on the airline. Usually, 45" total is allowed, but with some airlines you need to make sure it fits the specific space they have to test and make sure it's within their carryon guidelines.
http://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/

Next questions,

What is consider a liquid? shampoo/ conditioner which is really a cream and does not pour out only when the tube is squeezed. Bath shower gel?

What about cream makeup in a jar or tube? and the gel type moisturizer?

Toothpaste gel ~ paste?

The reason I asked this as when going through security they made my friend throw away her gel toothpaste but my regular toothpaste was fine. They were both the travel size? Also the lady in front of us they made her throw out her shampoo and conditioner in a tube while over the size limit, the shampoo/cream ( John Frieda) was a cream not a traditional liquid like ( Sauvé), and you could tell that the tubes where not full, the TSA agent said I go by what's on the container..

You are allowed 1 quart sized bag of products. Whatever the product is, it isn't allowed to be over 100mls. They call it the 3-1-1. Three oz products, must all fit in 1 quart bag, and you are allowed 1 bag per person. They do not care if there is only a small bit of product left in a tube, if the tube is bigger than 100mls, it isn't allowed.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Last question-
I have very light complexion, so sunscreen is a must, and on top I have very sensitive skin, so I can only use one type of sunscreen, I use a sports spray on... any issue with carrying on full size of these, We would carry on one in each bag.

You can, but it has to be the proper specified size of 100mls or less, and must for in the bag. Sometimes, I have seen certain screeners get picky with aerosols.

Final question...really

We have our own snorkel equipment can this be carried on?

I have never snorkeled, but I think so. I mean, it doesn't have tanks, right? That is diving. If it fits in your carryon and one personal item, I would think it would be ok. Unless there's something sharp or that could be used as a weapon. IDK. You can look up specific items here:
https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?src=tsawebsite

Sometimes, you can get a screener that is too harsh. I cannot swallow pills and all my medications are liquids. Majority of the time, they are fine with it, I got one screener that gave me a hard time. I have just shipped things I have wanted to bring to the resort, it makes it a lot easier, depending on what you want to bring.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP here,

For most of our trips we will be traveling in the US, so stopping at Walgreen's or wherever to grab a few things is no problem. But we are heading to the Caribbean on 2 trips, and I know from experience that you can't get certain items. Especially the sunscreen that I use....

As far as the snorkel equipment, fins, mask, and snorkel, dive/water shoes and the pack that holds them. We won't be taking a dive knife or anything like that. Right now at this point I am leaning on maybe driving to Miami and going non-stop from there, and spending a few day in the Keys when we come back, instead of dealing with changing planes. We have had terrible luck with plane changing and our bags.

Are people pulling out their 1 quart bag and sending them through separately? Or are they leaving them inside the carry-on for x-ray and then TSA is pulling them out accidentally. I often forget to pull out my eye drops, leaving them in my fanny pack, and I've never been stopper over that. Usually they're the only liquid I'll have.

Your quart bag is supposed to be out for TSA to see, not in your carry on bag.

As far as what size carry on works, you need to check the airline for that. The size can vary from airline to airline. You do not want to be the person trying to cram a too large bag into the overhead compartment. Or the person hogging the whole compartment.

Let's not forget lighters are allowed but matches aren't and you can take all the liquids you want so long as they are prescription drugs or items needed to keep prescription drugs cold and they don't need to be labeled.

I was curious about this because due to some recent health issues I will now have to carry injectable medication with me and was wondering how that worked while traveling. According to the TSA website I can take all the preloaded syringes I want and they don't even have to be labeled. But all you people trying to take more than two days worth of toothpaste are suspect.
My uncle had to throw away one of his lighters but got to keep the other two LOL

I feel like the more I fly the less I know. Sometimes I just know a certain item is going to cause issues and it ends up breezing through security and customs without a second glance. Other things that I don't think twice about result in my bag being emptied out piece by piece by three different agents. There seems to be no consistency from one airport to the next. Except water bottles. Water bottles are a problem the world over. :laughing: Off the top of my head, things that were and weren't a problem to carry on:

No Problem
Lighters
Matches
Metal pipes
Seashells
Full-sized bottle of champagne
9 manicure sets with scissors
Plants and seeds
100 glow sticks
5 pounds of taffy
Foreign produce
4 foot long tube of rolled artwork
Aerosol hairspray
7 mini bottles of Absinthe
A Maasai Runga (a club used as a weapon)
Luggage over the weight limit
The worlds largest tote that should've never been counted as a personal item

Big Problem
Lighters
Water bottle
An unopened can of Diet Coke
Seashells
1/2 oz. facial lotion that I'd accidentally left in my make up bag
A decorative elephant
Another decorative elephant (I've learned my lesson about buying decorative elephants)
Carry-on bag that was 3/4" too large according to their new guidelines that had been changed two days prior
Gel deodorant that had been packed as a liquid that the agent insisted was a solid

If it can be poured, smeared, dipped,etc it's a liquid. As goofy said above if you remove it from the container and it doesn't keep its shape- liquid. Aerosol=liquid

Sometimes. It totally depends on the day, the location, the way the wind is blowing....last time I flew to MCO (from IND) the only thing they wanted out was laptops. I had all 4 of our 3-1-1 baggies in my laptop case (so that I could easily pull them out) and they didn't say a word. When we flew out of MCO in November, we had a sippy cup of apple juice make it through with no child under 9 (although we were able to point out the 2yo it belonged to in line).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter