Carousing Kids?

Disneyfamfan said:
We are taking our first cruise ever on March 17, and I am surprised at the ages of the children who are given free reign in the ships. My DD is 11 and I will know where she is at all times and with whom. Maybe I am overprotective, but this really surprises me! :confused3 We are really looking forward to this trip and we want to enjoy it with our DD with us unless she is in the Lab, but like I said this is our first cruise, maybe if we were more seasoned I would be singing a different tune. :wave:

I haven't cruised, either, so not sure what age I would allow free reign. My older 3 kids will be old enough to have it, though. They will be 13 (almost 14), 16 (almost 17) and 19. I'm sure a lot depends on the child. My son, who is now 11, would be fine and I know that he'd spend most of his time on the basketball court. A year ago, though, he wouldn't have left my side. Also, he's not a kids club type of person so I can't imagine him spending any time there. As a teenager he'll be happier onboard since he can come and go from the teen areas and take part in activities when he wants to.

Where is Sherwood? I'm from southern OR.

T&B

Tigger&Belle, if I'm remembering correctly and you're the one concerned about the teenage hormones, don't assume that nothing more than "necking" is a possibility. With a ship load of many unsupervised teens, there is sometimes more going on than running through the halls and pushing elevator buttons. If you are concerned that your teen is at that age or stage where he/she might participate in underage drinking, more than necking, etc, keep your hand on his/her pulse.

dwkwootton said:
Tigger&Belle, if I'm remembering correctly and you're the one concerned about the teenage hormones, don't assume that nothing more than "necking" is a possibility. With a ship load of many unsupervised teens, there is sometimes more going on than running through the halls and pushing elevator buttons. If you are concerned that your teen is at that age or stage where he/she might participate in underage drinking, more than necking, etc, keep your hand on his/her pulse.

So far my kids have done nothing to disappoint me, but we're talking about a cruise that will be more than 2 years away, so I'm just wanting to cover all my bases, so to speak. It isn't the drinking that would bother me as much (well, that would bother me, too) as sex. Like I said, I'm only imagining what could transpire, not what my rather innocent kids so far have shown me. Maybe I'm reliving my own teen years, but thankfully my kids seem to take after their father. :rotfl:

Disneyfamfan, I figured that Sherwood much have been in the Portland area or I probably would have heard of it. I miss Oregon sometimes, but don't know that I could deal with the rain of western OR again.

T&B

Disneyfamfan said:
We are taking our first cruise ever on March 17, and I am surprised at the ages of the children who are given free reign in the ships. My DD is 11 and I will know where she is at all times and with whom. Maybe I am overprotective, but this really surprises me! :confused3 We are really looking forward to this trip and we want to enjoy it with our DD with us unless she is in the Lab, but like I said this is our first cruise, maybe if we were more seasoned I would be singing a different tune. :wave:

I'm with you. Mt DD just turned 12, and I would want to know where she was at all times. I would want a quick call to the room or on the walkie-talkie to tell me when she's going from one place to another.

T&B, I hope you don't think I was accusing your kids of something, I wasn't. Was just pointing out that there have been incidents of some rather bad behavior with the teens on the ship and wanted to give you a head's up (so to speak) on that.

dwkwootton said:
T&B, I hope you don't think I was accusing your kids of something, I wasn't. Was just pointing out that there have been incidents of some rather bad behavior with the teens on the ship and wanted to give you a head's up (so to speak) on that.

No, I didn't think that you were. :) Just didn't want anyone to think that I was bringing a bunch of wild hooligans on the ship. :rotfl: If anything it will be my youngest that will be the wild one, but he will only be 7yo and unable to be on his own, thank goodness.

T&B

I would want a quick call to the room or on the walkie-talkie to tell me when she's going from one place to another.[/QUOTE]

Walkie-talkies work great. Our 9 year-old DD had lab sign-out privileges but had to inform whenever she left. It's a great way for them to have some freedom while at the same time keeping tabs on their whereabouts.

Maybe I'm overprotective too, but can't imagine dd12 just out with a 2am curfew. True, it's different on the ship than at home but with so many activities during the day, does a 12 year old need to be out that late, unsupervised with other kids that you (the parent) don't know? I imagine it's a great feeling of independence but is it deserved at that age? I don't know, different strokes. I'm sure everyone would give strict rules and read the "riot act" so to speak but if a parent is in the cabin and a kid is roaming the ship in the wee hours, how do you know that they are not out pounding on doors and pushing buttons etc.? My dd is a great responsible kid too but this wouldn't work for us. Plenty of time for fun during the day and evening :)

Jenn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter