Carol's Journey (Atkins - modified!) Comments welcome

CarolA

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I thought I would try the journal thing to work on keeping me motivated.

Background. I am a 43 year old single female living in Nashville, TN. Last year I hit my high point of somewhere around 186. (When the size 14's started getting tight I decided something HAD to change!) I did WW and got down to the mid 160's. Then I changed jobs, bought a house and just generally got off track. I have dated the same guy for over a decade and he lives in Atlanta. He weighs 130 dripping wet and has never had to worry about losing weight, gaining it is his problem!

This Thanksgiving I visited my best friend in Boston and she looked great. She was doing Atkins and I decided to give it a try. I started 1/2/04 and have lost 11 lbs. I am at 164.5 according to my fancy new scale. I think I want to be about 130, but we will just see as I get closer how I feel and look.

The big challenge is that I travel about 60% of the time. For example last week, I was out Wed night thru Friday. This week it could be the same. Between that and my current predisone prescription I know loss is going to be slower then for some people, but I did not get here overnight.

I am not sure if I am posting all the meals here, but... we will see.

Today has been so/so. It is TOM and I am just craving "JUNKE". This is proabably made worse by the three glasses of wine I had Friday night! LOL!

Breakast. Bacon and Eggs. (I got the new Eggland's best eggs!)
Lunch Tuna salad with 1/2 T Light miracle whip (I don't like mayo) and 1/2 T of Mustard. 1/2 Cup salad veggies, 1 oz cheese!

Snacks. (OPPS!) 1 oz cheese, 1 Pria Carb bar (these are GREAT!) and one Atkins Endulge.

Dinner is a Portobello stuffed steak from Costco with some veggies.

I did get out and walk for about 40 minutes since it was a beautiful afternoon. I also bought a new cookbook at Costco and some Salmon to cook later this week.

hey carol, welcome to journaling. i hope that it will be a positive experience for you, as it has been for the rest of us! :)

Carol~Welcome! You're doing well--keep up the good work. I hope you will find journaling helpful. A daily log really helps you keep track of trends.

Journal Day 2

I did stick to the menu yesterday, but added another Pria Carb bar! I just had the munchies. I am down to 10 mg. on the Predinesone for the next four days so that should help. However, since I take it for chonic hives we have no idea if it worked or if I will have to do this again for a week or so.

I did do a 40 minute walk and a 20 min Yoga last night. This morning I got up and did 20 minutes on the Nordic Track and 20 minutes of Yoga.

Today I am working from home this morning while the painter works on the house.

Food

Breakfast Bacon and Eggs

Snack 1 oz cheese and turkey

Lunch Tuna Salad (the same as yesterday!)

The painter is FINALLY gone and I am off to the office. Too much to do that can't be done from here.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Carol, welcome to the WISH Journal board!!

You're doing just fine! I have a DH who is tall & thin - must be nice to eat whatever you want and not gain! :rolleyes: I have sympathy for your dealings with your thin BF!! :D

I noticed your journal title says you're doing a modified Atkins - can I ask what kind of modifications?

Onward and downward we go! :sunny:

My modifications are just a little strange!

I am trying to keep my carbs at around 20 per day. I guess I am in a semi-induction mode. I am pretty much eating from just the induction foods. However, I do travel a lot and refuse to stress out if I have something that is not allowed. So... for example, Friday night we had a very nice formal dinner after a training session with a client. I had steak and lobster with broiled Asparagus. NO problem there. I also had three glasses of wine hmm... and half a breadstick. Now I know that three glasses of wine and a breadstick are not Atkins approved, but that is OK. (It was a really good breadstick!! I did not waste the carbs on something cheap!)

While I know that was not great it probably won't kill me!! LOL! Considering breakfast was an Atkins Breakfast bar and lunch was turkey and cheese I was HUNGRY!

I am also eating the bars and drinking the shakes. Yes, I know there are people who advocate only eating "pure", but..... that is not going to happen with me. I am into quick and easy! I also like things I can pack with me for snacks and breakfast. Cheese travels OK, but meat and veggies are kind of difficult.

I realize that my "slips" and lack of total (or any) control over how my food is prepared are going to make things slow. I know you can quiz the wait staff, but... I don't believe them half the time anyway! However, I do believe that for things to be a lifestyle they can't be too strict. That to me is when it is easy for me to just say OH well, I can't do this.

Gee, Carol, your modifications sound a lot like mine! :p I guess we do "casual low-carb" :teeth: :crazy: . It's working for me - I'm down 14 pounds - so I'm not worried about using bars or indulging a bit now and then. I try for about 60g carbs a day and still lose.

I share your attitude - if it gets too hard, I won't stick with it. If I stop losing before I hit goal, then I'll tweak my eating plan, but for now I take things pretty casually.

Glad it's working for you!

Day 3 of the journal.

Yesteday went pretty well. Still had the TOM munchies, but they seem to be gone today.

For the most part I stuck to my eating plan. I did buy a box of the Russell STovers low carb chocolates. OH DEAR! These have to go, they are too good and not good for me.

I did the 20 min pm yoga last night.

Breakfast today was an Atkins Shake
Snack was some turkey
Lunch was a Black and Blue Salad from O'Charley's. (Off thier low carb selections)
Snack was an Advantage bar.

Not sure about dinner, I had planned over leftover steak with salad, but that sounds just like lunch! Will have to adapt

I probably won't work out today. My legs are sore from the last two days.

Thanks for reading!

hey carol, you're doing a really great job! and i totally understand about the "legal" treats. it seems like since i know i have something legal, i'll tend to eat more of it. crazy! good luck staying away from those chocolates. funny how a box of chocolates just tends to call your name... :p

have a great day today :sunny:

Journal Day 3. 2/4/

Dinner last night wound up being a Pria bar and some turkey and cheese. Sounds exciting doesn't it??

Anyway, I was suppose to get up and work out this morning, but I forgot to turn on the alarm. I rolled over at 7:15 AM!!! So I will have to do something tonight. I have a new Kathy Smith DVD that I might try instead of my Nordic Track.

Breakfast was bacon and eggs. (I was already late! LOL!)

Snack was ham.

Lunch was tuna salad, cheese and a Pria Carb bar.

I am bored at work and that is always when I want to eat.... It is not like I don't have stuff to do, it is just stuff I don't want to do!!!!

Thanks for your support.

I am back.

I went out of town on business and dial up is just too slow to post much.

I did fairly well on my business trip except for excersise. The hotel did NOT have a gym. YUCK!

Anyway, I am really trying to be induction strict for the next 10 days or so before my next business trip. I kind of fell off the wagon at the Girl Scout Cookie unload, but have done pretty well getting back on. Just need a SHOVE!

K, this is me shoving you! :p Welcome back and don't beat yourself up over this. I'm glad to hear eating went fairly well over trip and that you're taking control over you time home. I know you can do this and even if you aren't following a strict Atkins, you're paying closer attention to what you're eating and that will be very beneficial to you. enjoy your time home and good luck! We're all thinking of you so SMILE :) !

Thanks for the shove.

Things are going pretty well

I got up and did 20 minutes on the Nordic Track and AM Yoga today.

However, there was an unexpected set back over the weekend. I went to Disney! OPPS! My Brother and SIL conned me into it. I actually did very well except for a few beers and two homemade Valentine's cookies (my niece and newphew made them and they were so... excited that I just could not turn them down. 5 and 7 year olds do not understand low carb LOL!)

Back on track this week. I do have a dinner party to plan for Saturday, but since I am cooking at least I know the main dish will be good for me. I will have bread for my guests, but I can pretty much ignore that. Desert is a whole different issue! I have to work on that.

surprise trip to disney!!! oh my goodness, i am so jealous! and great job sticking to your food plan through it! those cookies don't count. no way you can turn down cookies from nieces and nephews, especially when it means so much to them ::yes::

dessert for your dinner party...i've heard of low carbers making a sf cheese cake. (i'm not low carb, so i don't know specifics). so if you like cheese cake, i'd look into that! good luck with that :bounce:

Just up and went to Disney! That's awesome! You are doing so well so don't worry about it. Keep up all the exercise--don't make me SHOVE you again! :p :teeth:

I had a "slip" last week. Just could not stay motivated. I am going to blame it on PMS.

SO... back on track.
Breakfast today was an Advantage Shake.
Snack was a Morning Start bar

Lunch was a combo of deli meats and an oz of cheese.

No snack
Dinner was a burger and asparagus. (No bun!)

I had a few Russell Stovers Low Carb Carmel things.. (Not sure what they are really called)

I did get out there and walk/run for about 20 minutes.

ON to the next day,

One at time, onward and downward! LOL!

Carol, I call my pre-TOM the d-zone for danger zone. It is practically impossible for me to stay on plan! :rolleyes: It's in the past now and you look like you're right back on track!

I tried the Russell Stover Pecan Delights (only ate the 2 that came in a package) and had some nasty gas - did the caramels affect you that way?? I'm hoping it was just the pecan delights and I can still find another yummy RS alternative, but I'm scared to try them! :p

One day at a time, Carol! :sunny:

Carol,

You are allowed to blame anyting on PMS.. It's evil. Today is a new day. Enjoy your weekend.
:sunny:
Beth

Took a break from posting. Mainly due to my vacation in Europe. I spent 2 weeks in Paris, London and visiting the D Day beaches.

Let's just say that I cannot go to France without eating. I did not gain much since I also walked MILES!

I am trying to do induction again. It will be a little harder since I have to travel for the next 6 weeks on business, but..

Today went well

Breakfast Bacon/Egg
Lunch Cold Cuts/Cheese
Snacks, Cold Cuts/Cheese
Dinner Hamburger w/cheese (no bun), Broccoli

I forgot to count water, but I think I did ok

Excersise was an hour and a half of yard work.

I plan to get back on my marathon training program tomorrow.

Have a good week everyone.

Hi Carol,

When in Paris... Of course you ate. I hope you enjoyed Europe. Great job using exercise to counteract it. Good luck with induction.
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!