CARNIVAL CRUISE for $80.00 PP!!!!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by JerJan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. JerJan

JerJan <font color=blue>I need the sunshine to SURVIVE!<b

You MUST call CARNIVAL to book this deal, it's not available on their website! :banana:
    Due to damage from Hurricane Katrina, Carnival Cruise Lines has moved their "Carnival Conquest" ship from New Orleans to Galveston, TX. The ship is mostly empty, and they are reportedly selling cabins for a 5-night cruise which departs September 5 for as low as $80/person (double occupancy) for an interior room and $179/person (double occupancy) for an ocean view. Great deals may be available for other lightly booked cruises in the near future as well. Ports of call include Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cozumel. This deal is not listed on their website, you must call them (1-888-CARNIVAL) to book this.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kelleigh1

kelleigh1 <font color=purple>Disney Baby<br><font color=gree

If I was a wealthy person, I would book it for a couple victimized by Katrina. Then they'd at least have a place to stay for a few days and be able to get away from it all.

4. angiedora

angiedora Loves Kermey

My parents want to go. What airport is closest to Galveston? Thanks

5. moonvine

moonvine Earning My Ears

Houston is closest to Galveston. There are two airports in Houston, Hobby and Intercontinental. I would fly into whichever I could get a better deal going into, but if they plan to go at the last minute the expensive airfare might make it not so worth it.

Personally I can drive to Galveston, but I can't get time off work with this short notice.

6. SamIAm21

SamIAm21 Mickey's #1 Fan

Houston-Hobby is the closest airport to Galveston.

7. Pamlur

Pamlur <font color="green">newbies DO get tags!!</font>

I thought that ship was going into drydock; what happened?

8. MMPC123

MMPC123 Mouseketeer

I can't help but keep thinking that this would be a really great idea but would need some help to get it to happen. I could not afford to send a couple of peolpe but i could manage 1 person or at the very least the $40.- if someone would split it with me. Just think... 5 days with food, heat/AC, running water/toilet and a quiet comfortable place to sleep. It does not look like those at the convention centers have any of thoses things.

How would someone go about organizing this? Any ideas?

9. KCMiller

KCMiller Has decided she does not need anonymous approval,

Well, I just got off the phone with Carnival - went up to a supervisor, even - and they had no idea where this price came from. The cheapest fare they have for the 9/5 sailing is just a hair under $500.

Sorry!

KC :sunny:

10. michellejed

michellejed DIS Veteran

It was probably $80 per night/per person!

Better yet, why doesnt Carnival offer a ship for the people to use, maybe a few more cruise lines can follow! Would be much better then sitting in the dome!

11. marcyinPA

marcyinPA <font color=blue>I'll never forget the strong, pun

Boy, wouldn't that be a nice thing to do!! :goodvibes

12. DMRick

DMRick I prefer to be tagless!

Carnival and the government is trying to work out the logistics of doing just that. It's been on CNN several times today.

13. RichNKatHolly

RichNKatHolly DIS Veteran

Wow, that would be something!

14. rockyroad

rockyroad DIS Veteran

Please consider that Sensation,the smaller of the two Carnival ships that were sailing out of New Orleans and just moved to Galveston, employs 900 people. Most of these people work primarily for tips, 10 to 12 hours per day, 7 days per week for 7 months at a time. Taking Sensation out of service would eliminate the primary support for nearly 900 families somewhere.

This time last week, my family was on Sensation heading toward New Orleans. The water was getting rough and people were starting to watch the weather reports. So much has happened in less than a week. Last Saturday morning New Orleans seemed so normal.

Anyway, for an example, the lovely young lady who was our assistant waiter was the sole support for her 4 year old daughter and her mother in Eastern Europe. You can bet that she would not be away from her child for 7 months at a time and work those kind of hours if she didn't really need the job.

I think the ships being discussed for housing are ships that are not currently in service.

15. DMRick

DMRick I prefer to be tagless!

I don't think anyone mentioned any certain ships on CNN or here, and with the expense of feeding and caring for all these people, as well as the expense of the ship workers, I'm pretty sure the government wasn't looking for Carnival to do it for free.

16. MMPC123

MMPC123 Mouseketeer

I just read the news story that Carnival is indeed offering 3 of her cruise ships to house those in New Orleans. I think this is GREAT!

17. jennifer293

jennifer293 <font color=green>SHHHHH , but we live in the stic

Yes I saw that on the news and they are offering 3 cruise ships which will give over 7000 people temporary housing. I think it is wonderful that they are going to do this.

18. rockyroad

rockyroad DIS Veteran

It is nice, but they are being paid 249 million dollars for the use of Ecstacy, Sensation, and Holiday plus a car ferry for six months. Ecstacy and Sensation will be pulled from service Monday; Holiday will be pulled Thursday. All cruises on those boats have been cancelled.

Apparently, FEMA was moving too slow, so they turned over procurement of the ships to the navy, who got it done right away.

It seems that Ecstacy and Sensation will be in Galveston and Holiday in Mobile.

It will be housing, but it will make for difficult living conditions. The cabins sleep four, two twins and two bunk beds that pull out of the ceiling and need to be put back up in the daytime to protect one's head. There is one small wood chair,a small built in desk with several small drawers, a small open space for hanging garments, a small cupboard, a small console for life jacket storage, a wall mounted tv, a small bathroom with a small shower, low ceilings, and none of the interior cabins have a window.

19. 2angelsinheaven

2angelsinheaven Loves making dreams come true!

I would much rather be on the ship than in a regular shelter.

20. skiwee1

skiwee1 DIS Veteran

Carnival isn't doing this for free. They are getting paid a lot to lease their boats.

21. J&D

J&D <font color=red>Tag Fairy's Tag Assistant!<br><fon

I had called earlier in the week about the cruise that was leaving on 9/1. It was $99 as stated on our local news, but by the time I had called those rooms were already sold out.