Car seats on Magical Express? Help!

snackyx

Mouseketeer
I'm a bit out of my league on this one, as our kids are in/through college, but we are getting the clan together in November and my niece and her husband are flying in from California with a 5 year old and and 6 month old. They are arriving at 10:30pm, and I believe Magical Express only runs until 10pm. I will have rented a car, but they are a party of three adults and the two kids AND car seats, and we originally thought the ME would be a better option.

I noticed in the Magical Express FAQ that car seats must be stowed with luggage and kids must sit in their own seat on on the parent's lap. Is there no car seat law in Florida? I'm in Michigan and kids that age have to be in a car seat. If anyone has some info we would appreciate it. If there is no car seat law in Florida we could attempt to cram everyone in a full size rental, or what are the other transportation options after 10am from MCO to Disney World for three adults and a 5 yrs and 6 month old? Again--what is the car seat situation for these kids in Florida?

Magical express runs 24 hours. After 10 PM and before 5 am, you must collect your own checked luggage. Car seats are not used on the motor coaches.

I believe magical express runs after 10 pm but you have to get your luggage from baggage claim they don't pick it up for you.

But to answer the other question kids must be in car seats in a car but on magical express they do not- I think it is a public transportation thing.

As said above, Me runs 24 hours a day, but after 10 they have to collect their own baggage. The car seats will be stored under the motor coach, and the kids will ride without car seats (same as if the child was on a school bus, public bus, Disney parks bus, etc).

Yes, there are car seat laws in Florida.

The reason that car seats are not used on buses is that buses are different than cars and they behave differently when involved in accidents. In the (extremely rare) event of a bus accident, a car seat will not keep them safer, and in some cases can actually put them (and others) in more danger.

Magical Express is a bus. In Michigan, as in most states, a licensed transportation service (bus, taxi, etc) are not required to follow child seat laws.

I'm a bit out of my league on this one, as our kids are in/through college, but we are getting the clan together in November and my niece and her husband are flying in from California with a 5 year old and and 6 month old. They are arriving at 10:30pm, and I believe Magical Express only runs until 10pm. I will have rented a car, but they are a party of three adults and the two kids AND car seats, and we originally thought the ME would be a better option.

I noticed in the Magical Express FAQ that car seats must be stowed with luggage and kids must sit in their own seat on on the parent's lap. Is there no car seat law in Florida? I'm in Michigan and kids that age have to be in a car seat. If anyone has some info we would appreciate it. If there is no car seat law in Florida we could attempt to cram everyone in a full size rental, or what are the other transportation options after 10am from MCO to Disney World for three adults and a 5 yrs and 6 month old? Again--what is the car seat situation for these kids in Florida?
If you are uncomfortable with them not traveling in a car seat you could take the kids in their car seats and some of the adults that won't fit in the rental car could ride the ME bus. However keep in mind if you plan to use disney buses to get to and from the parks they will not be traveling in car seats there either

Magical Express is a bus. In Michigan, as in most states, a licensed transportation service (bus, taxi, etc) are not required to follow child seat laws.
That may be the case in Michigan, but it is not the case in Florida. Kids 3 and under must be in carseats in taxis and limos.

That may be the case in Michigan, but it is not the case in Florida. Kids 3 and under must be in carseats in taxis and limos.
The Florida law is a little confusing:

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section.

It looks to me like taxis are exempt entirely, but I haven't checked up on section 39.01.

Last edited:
The Florida law is a little confusing:

Code:
The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section.

It looks to me like taxis are exempt entirely, but I haven't checked up on section 39.01.
Taxis are not exempt. Taxi drivers are exempt from punishment, but the parents of the child are not. Read the last sentence.

We checked into this when our first child was born by calling the taxi service directly prior to our trip. Car seats are required in taxis. And if you are traveling without a seat, you can request a car to be sent that has one (although that could end up taking a while when they keep sending the wrong car with the wrong kid of seat).

We have been going to Disney for a while with our little ones....although they are not that little anymore for a carseat, we never needed one on the ME bus, and they will take you after 10. The busses run as long as there are planes flying into MCO with Disney guests on them. You CANNOT have your luggage delivered to your room if your flight arrives after 10 pm. We've had a flight arrive at 9:30 and didn't get our bags till after midnight in the room when trying to sleep, so it's not always a bad thing that late. Just get your bags at Baggage claim then head to the ME.

Taxis are not exempt. Taxi drivers are exempt from punishment, but the parents of the child are not. Read the last sentence.
That's a direct quote from Florida law. It says taxis and any other chauffeur driving vehicle is exempt.

They are arriving at 10:30pm, and I believe Magical Express only runs until 10pm.

Nope, it's 24 hours. They'll just have to get their bags; luggage delivery is what stops happenin after 10pm but the bus still runs. No worries. ME is still a decent choice at that hour.

Yes, but read the rest of it. It goes on to state it is the parent's responsibility.
It's the parents' responsibility to comply with 39.01, which is general child welfare with no reference to safety restraints. The car seat law specifically exempts taxis and even uber. If you want to debate that not using a car seat is a taxi endangers the welfare of a child, you'll need to refer to the legislative intent of the car seat law.

Please also note that car seats are not used on Disney transportation (buses, boats, monorails...).

It's the parents' responsibility to comply with 39.01, which is general child welfare with no reference to safety restraints. The car seat law specifically exempts taxis and even uber. If you want to debate that not using a car seat is a taxi endangers the welfare of a child, you'll need to refer to the legislative intent of the car seat law.
If the state intended to totally exempt taxi's from the law they would have just stated that. Instead they state parents are responsible for adhering to the law.

They could have simply left the last sentence out but they put it in.

If the state intended to totally exempt taxi's from the law they would have just stated that. Instead they state parents are responsible for adhering to the law.

They could have simply left the last sentence out but they put it in.
Except it says that the section does not apply to the vehicle. You're interpretation seems to be that the section only exempts the driver or operator. So, they did simply state that those methods of transportation are exempted.

Except it says that the section does not apply to the vehicle. You're interpretation seems to be that the section only exempts the driver or operator. So, they did simply state that those methods of transportation are exempted.

The law is awkwardly written, I'll give you that. The fact is that parents who don't put their kids in the proper restraints can be considered neglectful. From Florida statute 39.01:
Negligently fails to protect a child in his or her care from inflicted physical, mental, or sexual injury caused by the acts of another.

http://tbo.com/news/politics/new-florida-car-seat-law-takes-effect-jan-1-20141221/
There are exemptions, including children being driven by unpaid drivers who are not in the child’s immediate family, children being transported for medical emergencies and children with a medical condition necessitating an exception. Parents bear the responsibility of putting their children in seats in cabs and limousines, and the operator of the for-hire vehicle is not liable, the law says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter