Car seats and strollers

firstimeirishman

Earning My Ears
What is the cut off point for needing a booster seat in a car in florida? Dd6 is 48 inches and we are getting a rental?

Also, we don't think she is going to manage with the walking, can anyone recommend a decent cheap, large stroller, ideally available on Amazon that we can leave behind of its cheaper than renting

They sell decent umbrella strollers at the parks. I think they are around $40.

Regardless of Florida law, your daughter is unlikely to properly fit an adult seatbelt. Unless she passes the five-step test (https://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/boosters/5steptest/), she should be using a belt-positioning booster (or a harnessed car seat) to avoid abdominal and spinal injuries in a collision caused by a seatbelt that does not fit properly. Kids generally require boosters until 10-12 years old. Note that a child may pass the five-step test in some vehicles/seating positions and still require a booster in other positions.

I would agree with Muskrat - she still probably needs a booster. My DD is 7 and she is still in a 5-pt harness. My FIL was a traffic accident investigator for the highway patrol so I've heard too many horror stories to risk it. Booster seats are easy to transport and much safer. I've been looking at the new mifold seats for travel as I think they would be helpful for carpool too.

I would bring a booster for her to use. The fact is all children up to 4'9" tall SHOULD be in a booster.

Here's what the florida law says: Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat.

most car rental companies will also rent you a booster seat - though for a week it may end up being as expensive as buying one yourself. Though it would save you some lugging.

The only time we will ever be in an automobile is in the DME to and from the airport. Do I need to bring a booster for my 6yo?

The only time we will ever be in an automobile is in the DME to and from the airport. Do I need to bring a booster for my 6yo?

No. It can't be used on the bus.

A great portable booster is a Bubblebum. It inflates, so it's super portable. We used one recently on a trip with my eight year old grandson and it worked great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!