Car Seat on the Plane........

What do you mean by flip the seat buckle half turn???
Twist the belt 180º so the latch that you lift to release the belt is face down instead of face up, before you hook the two ends together. I THINK is what she means. It works because the tongue part is flat; try it with your car's seat belt - it will still release.

Twist the belt 180º so the latch that you lift to release the belt is face down instead of face up, before you hook the two ends together. I THINK is what she means. It works because the tongue part is flat; try it with your car's seat belt - it will still release.

I would think it would be harder to undo since the release latch would be up against the car seat.

I would think it would be harder to undo since the release latch would be up against the car seat.

Kaytieeldr is correct - if you keep the seat belt buckle facing up as normal, then tighten the belt, as it gets tighter it will get closer to the back side of the car seat. When you need to unbuckle it, you won't have enough clearance between the buckle and the car seat back to actually lift the buckle. If you flip the buckle over, this won't happen as there will be a natural space behind the car seat because the lower part of the plane seat back curves away slightly. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever made the mistake of not flipping the belt and then tightened it a lot, you'd understand PERFECTLY.

Kaytieeldr is correct - if you keep the seat belt buckle facing up as normal, then tighten the belt, as it gets tighter it will get closer to the back side of the car seat. When you need to unbuckle it, you won't have enough clearance between the buckle and the car seat back to actually lift the buckle. If you flip the buckle over, this won't happen as there will be a natural space behind the car seat because the lower part of the plane seat back curves away slightly. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever made the mistake of not flipping the belt and then tightened it a lot, you'd understand PERFECTLY.

Ok, I'm trying to understand your explanation. Normally the latch you would lift up away from your body to undo the seat belt, so wouldn't it flipping it when you pull it through the car seat cause you not to be able to lift it due to the release latch will be up against the back of the car seat?

Ok, I'm trying to understand your explanation. Normally the latch you would lift up away from your body to undo the seat belt, so wouldn't it flipping it when you pull it through the car seat cause you not to be able to lift it due to the release latch will be up against the back of the car seat?

No, because you are threading the belt through the belt guides on the back of the car seat. There's no body UNDER the seat belt - there's a car seat OVER the seat belt. If you do not turn the belt buckle upside down, its top will still be facing up away from the plane seat, which by definition means it will be facing the back of the car seat. Short of having pictures (which I don't have), I don't know how else to explain it. Here's a website that says the same basic thing: http://www.flyingrugrats.com/on_the_plane/op_topic3.htm

No, because you are threading the belt through the belt guides on the back of the car seat. There's no body UNDER the seat belt - there's a car seat OVER the seat belt. If you do not turn the belt buckle upside down, its top will still be facing up away from the plane seat, which by definition means it will be facing the back of the car seat. Short of having pictures (which I don't have), I don't know how else to explain it. Here's a website that says the same basic thing: http://www.flyingrugrats.com/on_the_plane/op_topic3.htm

Ok, I see what your saying now. I'll have to look at how ours is set up because I've been using the provided tethers that come with the seat but I do get what your saying.

Thanks for the suggestion because I wouldn't of ever thought of this.

It MUST be in a window seat to not obstruct passengers during evacuation.

I'd call the airline directly and ask. DS only flew once when he was of a carseat in the plane age, and on both legs of that flight, we put him in the center seat with not a word from any of the flight staff....it's best to go directly to the source.

Ok, I see what your saying now. I'll have to look at how ours is set up because I've been using the provided tethers that come with the seat but I do get what your saying.

Thanks for the suggestion because I wouldn't of ever thought of this.

You are welcome - I learned it the hard way! ;)

Make sure the car-seat actually says on it "FAA Approved" with the appropriate PMA # (It'll have a tag on the seat basically saying FAA approved). For some reason people take tags off of stuff and without the tag, its not approved anymore. So make sure it says it on the seat itself :)

Clint
Former Flight Attendant (now Pilot)

Make sure the car-seat actually says on it "FAA Approved" with the appropriate PMA # (It'll have a tag on the seat basically saying FAA approved). For some reason people take tags off of stuff and without the tag, its not approved anymore. So make sure it says it on the seat itself :)

Clint
Former Flight Attendant (now Pilot)

Just to clarify the sticker will not have the phrase "FAA Aproved" on it at all.

The sticker wording will be:
“This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.” It is often in red caps.

Carseats with that sticker are approved by the FAA for use on aircraft.

Its confusing!

According to Delta's website, car seats can not be in an exit row or one row in either direction. They can not be in an aisle seat. As far as window vs. "middle", it CAN be put in the middle as long as a member of the same travelling party is in the window seat.

subscibing...will nd info in the future...my sil just came back and SW made her wake up her ds3 1 hour into the flight to move him... she was furious...they didnt say any rules for her son and then he was soooo tired and stinky it was a llooooong flight home..after that...

subscibing...will nd info in the future...my sil just came back and SW made her wake up her ds3 1 hour into the flight to move him... she was furious...they didnt say any rules for her son and then he was soooo tired and stinky it was a llooooong flight home..after that...

So was he in the middle seat or....?

According to Delta's website, car seats can not be in an exit row or one row in either direction.

That would make sense, since children cannot sit in an exit row, period.

.my sil just came back and SW made her wake up her ds3 1 hour into the flight to move him... she was furious.

That is unfortunate, but it was her responsibility to know and follow the rules.

I went to SWA site and this is what I found re: car seats.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html

Copied to avoid having to click the link.

How should a CRD be used?

Once onboard the aircraft, your CRD must be placed in a seat that is not an emergency exit seat. It is best to place the CRD in a window seat so it will not block access to the aircraft aisle. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for securing the CRD to the seat, fastening the aircraft seatbelt around the CRD as tightly as possible.

So what if you have twins? Window seat & middle?...then parent in the aisle seat?

One helpful hint I can offer came from Delta Airlines customer service about 12-13 years ago regarding the carseat. Buy a small portable luggage cart and fasten the carseat to it. You now have a pull-behind stroller to get you through the airport! Then, when you get on the plane, you can just lift the entire carseat/cart up onto the seat(usually) and fasten it in. When you arrive at MCO(best airport in the world), you un-fasten and hit the road with the little one in tow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter