Car Rental Questions

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by KathleenlovesMickey, Jan 30, 2014.

1. KathleenlovesMickey

KathleenlovesMickey Mouseketeer

We usually rent from Alamo and have been happy but I was wondering what others use. I really would love to get the best price for a mid size car. Also has anyone used coupons recently that worked?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tow-mater-1

tow-mater-1 DIS Veteran

We usually use Budget because we get it free from our Airmiles program but they are way more expensive than Alamo. I did like the convenient location of Budget for the drop off at the port and the free shuttle. Our Airmiles program has Alamo too and the points needed are 1/2 what's needed for Budget so I was looking at using them this time. Do they have a shuttle that will take you to the terminal? If they do then it's hands down... I will switch to Alamo.

4. KathleenlovesMickey

KathleenlovesMickey Mouseketeer

Alamo's desk is far down the hall but you go right out the door cross the street and pick up the car. It is so easy and fast! Returning is just as easy except you have to use the elevators to get into terminal. As I said we have never been disappointed with Alamo I just am looking for other cheaper options or codes people used that worked to lower those fares.

5. TinkLoverSam

TinkLoverSam DIS Veteran

For discount codes I always check www.mousesavers.com they have up to date coupon codes and they have worked for me pretty consistently as of dec 2013

6. edeneye

edeneye Mouseketeer

It's not a coupon exactly but on a recommendation via MouseSavers I booked our hire Car through Alamo via Nova Car Hire. They're a European-based site which give some fairly significant discounts to travelers. I stacked it up against all available coupons and it was easily the best deal & with the most inclusions. We got unlimited mileage, CDW & theft insurance, liability protection, up to 3 additional drivers, a full tank of fuel (with no refill required) and roadside assist for 12 days and it only cost us just over $400 for what wound up being a Dodge Charger after a free upgrade (that we didn't even need!). We paid a $5 deposit and the rest on pickup.

MouseSavers said you need a UK licence to qualify for the discounts but I'm Australian and it didn't matter so I'm not sure if that's a half-truth and you still have to be International or just one example but that could be an option worth pursuing, doesn't take long to get a quote. They ask where you're from on the site and US is certainly an option.

7. samily

samily DIS Veteran

I've had good luck with Budget BCD code Y937800 .

8. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

Budget Code X474200 always saves me some money.

9. Zoom

Zoom DIS Veteran

Does Alamo or Budget gives free shuttle to the port?

10. tow-mater-1

tow-mater-1 DIS Veteran

I do know that Budget has a free shuttle as well as Hertz but I don't know about Alamo but I would like to know too.

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

yes....I am a Budget rapid rez member for 10 years and after the past two experiences with the Budget desk/office in Cape Canaveral I will do all i can to avoid them in the future....

12. AniLee

AniLee Earning My Ears

What were your issues?

13. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

i've posted this a couple of times....its more the incompetence of the Budget office in Cape Canaveral versus Budget themselves:

1) departure day, Aug 2012: get to Budget around 12 to drop off the car...the line is already around the back waiting for a shuttle to take people to the port....rain clouds gathering....finally decide "the hell with this, lets take a taxi" which are hovering around the Budget office like vulchers...thank gosh we did as five minutes later the clouds burst open....i take a bit of responsibility as i got there to drop my car off a little later than i wanted...

2) return day, Aug 2012: wait in line 20 minutes for a shuttle to take us from the ship to the office to pick up the car....wait 20 minutes on the line to get our car...get to the front and they don't have enough cars so we wait another 20 minutes for cars to arrive from MCO and be readied...slightly my fault as I said I would be picking up the car later than we arrived at the office...

3) departure day, 2013 (the clincher)....get to the budget office before 10AM to drop off the car...we have family vacationing in Cocoa Beach who follow us to the Budget office and will drive us to the Fantasy once we drop the car off...already a long line (20-30 minutes) in the office for pick-ups and drop offs...i walk to the front and explain i pre-paid for the car and want to drop it off....they tell me "you still have to wait on this line!!"...i don't cause a scene but politely tell them to screw themselves as the car was pre-paid, the tank is full of gas and I have people waiting outside to take me to the ship...they start threatening me that if i leave i will have no recourse if they charge me for "extras".....i give the keys to the attendant outside and say "toodles"....