Car Rental Question

PoohBuddy

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever rented a car to drive to Disney? If so, what company did you use? Also, did you have unlimited mileage or did you have a set daily amount and have to pay the overage? Thanks for the help. :)

We have used Hertz for our trips to the beach when we lived up North. They had unlimited miles. If you are looking at a van check on the miles because they usually aren't unlimited.

It worked out great for us.

Most rental companies have unlimited mileage now.

I have always used National myself. I prefer the rental company being onsite. One less step to getting to Disney.

I also like National for the Emerald Club and being able to avoid the counter and pick my own car.

Other good onsite companies, IMHO are Alamo and Dollar.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

edited to say... sorry! I realize now, thanks to safetymom, that you are talking about driving down! :blush:

Yes. DH and I rent a car for all long distance travel. We always rent from Newark International Airport (Newark, NJ) as the airport rental car prices are always lower than local, and, they are open 24/7. We have rented from all of the rental companies over the years, but Dollar and National usually have the best prices, with unlimited mileage. If you are new to renting cars, be certain to read http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html
We always used our American Express card to rent to avoid having to purchase insurance. Other CCs or even your own car insurance may have coverage, be sure to find out...as insurance can cost more than the rental price! There are many codes and discounts available. But, be sure to be shocked at the price - you won't get the same low prices in the north as you will get at Orlando Airport.

It sounded to me like she was asking to rent in PA and drive to Disney. Many of the larger vehicles do not have unlimited miles.

ncbyrne said:
Yes.
We always used our American Express card to rent to avoid having to purchase insurance.

Check the American Express contract. Their insurance is not primary. That is they will pick up the balance your insurance company doesn't. This is what is said on there site:

Enjoy The Ride — The Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance Plan* provides coverage for theft of or damage to most rental vehicles. This coverage is in EXCESS to your other sources of insurance

I use Diners Club, their insurance is primary!

If the original poster is looking to rent a car to drive from a different state to Florida, they need to check carefully with the rental company, as many car rental contracts do not allow the renter to take the car out of state. YES, there are exceptions - for example, the rental agency wanting to reposition cars. But the renter needs to be open with the agency about where they'll be driving.

We rented a mini-van to drive 7 of us from Manchester to WDW. We chose National and yes, there were unlimited mileage. Make sure to read the fine print. Most companies offer unlimited mileage, but always check.

kaytieeldr said:
If the original poster is looking to rent a car to drive from a different state to Florida, they need to check carefully with the rental company, as many car rental contracts do not allow the renter to take the car out of state. YES, there are exceptions - for example, the rental agency wanting to reposition cars. But the renter needs to be open with the agency about where they'll be driving.

My company of choice is Hertz and they allow you to go across state lines. Not familiar with any others except Enterprise. They allow unlimited mileage, I believe, if you stay in the state, but it is another matter if you cross state lines.

Has the matter with, I believe, Acme about them putting tracking GPS units in their cars and playing policeman been resolved? They assessed you a penalty (fine) if you went over the speed limit. I think they are located in RI or CONN. I think someone took them to court and won.

manning said:
My company of choice is Hertz and they allow you to go across state lines. Not familiar with any others except Enterprise. They allow unlimited mileage, I believe, if you stay in the state, but it is another matter if you cross state lines.

Thanks, Manning - that's the point I was trying to get across!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter