Car rental or not, for DL & Huntington Beach?

azarine

Mouseketeer
We are going in April and spending 5 nights at the Howard Johnson right outside DL, and then 3 nights at the Hyatt on Huntington Beach. I think we'll need a car rental for at least the last part - we want to go whale watching then at some point. Should we rent a car at the airport (thinking we'll fly in and out of SNA), or take an airport shuttle then, and rent a car somehow the day we leave Disneyland?

Thanks for any advice :)

Things to consider: will you have carseats with you to use in a rental car or drag on a shuttle? How much is the cost difference between a car for an extra 4/5 days (probably making it a full-week rental) vs. an airport shuttle for 4 people? Howard Johnsons has free parking at least. Would you use the car at all during your DL days, like to do a snack/grocery run when you get there?

There is car rental in DTD if you decide to get a car at the end of your Disneyland days, an Alamo on the west end.

While the Hyatt is close to downtown Huntington Beach, if you are doing anything else, I'd definitely have the car to get from DL to HB to activities, and back to airport.

PHXscuba

PHXscuba has some good points. I would recommend getting a car from the airport and returning it to the airport. Typically, if you get a car from one place and return it to another it is more expensive, then add shuttle costs to that. This will also give you the flexibility to check out some of the other cool beaches in this area - Crystal Cove, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, etc.

Thank you - appreciate the replies! I'm leaning toward having a car the whole time - going to check prices. We will need 1 carseat and 1 booster so will have to bring those with us anyhow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter