car insurance- Geico?

hapandpam

DIS Veteran
We just got our car insurance bill and it is over $4,000, so I called Geico for a quote. It was about $2,000 less. I had them email me the coverage, and it is line for line the same as my current carrier. Anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with the company. I am really tempted to switch.

Thanks.

I've had GEICO for two years now. Two weeks ago some hooligans thought it would be fun to pour oil all over my car. No problems, quick and friendly claim. I even got a rental for the day.

we've had it for years-love it
they are less
we had a gas grill hit us one thanksgiving fell off the truck in front of us- cracked our windshield- called them while we were in the car- the rep said- any other damage-i didn't know-we were still in the car- she told me to call when it was safe-
we did- we are not covered for glass in NH.

they are reachable by phone anytime-my dh pays the bill over the phone every month-easy prompts-
we made a good choice-we insure 3 cars-2 adults- one 18 yr old and a recreational vehicle for just about 4000.00
keep in mind the 18 yr old male driver- he's the one that shot the premium up.

I've had them for years, with no problems at all. You can pay your bill online, very easy. They have great customer service when you call with a question or problem. But honestly, for $2,000 less I would switch even if they had a monkey working customer service!! :rotfl:

We have been with them for 18+ years. My DS had a car accident a few months ago (his fault) - thank God no one was hurt. Geico was wonderful. The damage to the other car was minor, but we were all very pleased with the service from Geico.

I just recently switched to them due to their rate being lower than Progressive who DH and I had been with for several years but no claims yet so I don't have any experience with them as far as that goes.

It's always good to "insurance shop" every few years, it can save you a lot of money!!

When I married DH, 18 years ago - he was a GEICO kind of guy - we are still with GEICO for car insurance. I do not recall how many years DH was with Geico when we got married. We've had 1 accident, 1 hail damage incident and 1 windshield replacement.

No issues at all!

I would just be careful about the coverage limitations if you are at fault in an accident. My DH was in an accident when the other driver (Geico customer) pulled out in front of him. My DH had a new huge pick up truck so the repairs were VERY expensive. The other drivers insurance (Geico) had a payout limit of $10,000 so our insurance (not geico) had to pay it then they went after him and his insurance company since he was at fault. Not sure what all that entailed since that is what we pay our insurance company for but I would hate to be out loads of money after an accident if my policy had payout limits. I didn't even know that was legal but I guess the percentage of accidents happening where the repair bills exceed $10K are low.

I would just be careful about the coverage limitations if you are at fault in an accident. My DH was in an accident when the other driver (Geico customer) pulled out in front of him. My DH had a new huge pick up truck so the repairs were VERY expensive. The other drivers insurance (Geico) had a payout limit of $10,000 so our insurance (not geico) had to pay it then they went after him and his insurance company since he was at fault. Not sure what all that entailed since that is what we pay our insurance company for but I would hate to be out loads of money after an accident if my policy had payout limits. I didn't even know that was legal but I guess the percentage of accidents happening where the repair bills exceed $10K are low.

Each state sets a bare minimum coverage person has to buy and that differs from state to state. Any additional coverage a person buys is purely elected by that person and his/her premiums reflect those choices. You are lucky, you had underinsured motorist on your policy that would cover the difference if someone had low limits; not everyone does. This is a perfect reason to do so.

Great company, owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet. No worries whether or not they will stay in business long term or be unable to pay your claim!!!

We have had Geico for years. I only had to file a claim once for a starburst in my windshield, it was very easy.

I have had GEICO for about 30 years. I have had some claims over the years, some my fault, some not mine. They have never raised my rates (other than general rate increases) and always given excellent service.

They started out only insuring Government Employees and are still very picky about the people they insure.

I actually am an insurance broker but my personal insurance is with Geico. Couldn't beat their price, even at my own office. I have been with them for many years and I have had no problems.

I've been with Geico for over 20 years and have never had a problem. I've had a few claims over the years and they always paid immediately.

We've had Geico for close to 30 years. They have always had wonderful customer service and we've never had any problems with them!

I've had them for 18+ years and am very satisfied. Their customer service is great and you can do alot of things online if you don't want to deal on the phone.

You should know, however, that Geico makes auto repairs using "used" parts regardless of vehicle age. State Farm is what I have and they use new or aftermarket parts.

I know this first hand from having 2 teenaged sons.

If you don't care that your 6 month old car may have a 2 year old used bumper, then go for it.

We originally had Allstate then switched to GEICO b/c it would save us about $$800 a year. We even filed a claim in that one year with absolutely no problems. We loved them. Then we got the next years renewal and it jumped up $1000. They told us that they were losing money in NJ and had to increase rates. We switched back to Allstate b/c the were then cheaper.

If I would have read this question a couple of weeks ago I would have said that they have prompt service and low rates... well.. DH, who has had a PERFECT driving record had to make 2 claims- 1, he backed into a dumpster
2, he dinged a car that pulled behind him and parked the car :confused3
(his truck was full of stuff to take to the dumpster). It caused minimal damage to the other vehicle and none to his.
Anyway he was DROPPED all of a sudden. These "accidents" happened 2 years
apart.
We have always paid promptly and have sung GEICO's praises- not anymore.
This seems unreasonable since both claims were 2 years apart and DH doesn't even have a ticket on his record.

Just my 2 cents. Insurance can be very frustrating and we are in the process of finding another company.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter