Capital One venture Rewards

princesspooh323

Mouseketeer
Hi. We have the capital one ventures card and have about $500 worth of rewards miles on it. We would like to book our flights for next summer. I just checked southwest, and they come to $1313. I know that if I charge it all to my visa, I will not be able to redeem it for points since it is more then what I have. Does anyone know if I purchase $850 worth of gift cards and put the remaining balance on my capital one if this will work?

Thanks.:cheer2:

Pop Century/BLT Aug 2012
Polynesian/Caribbean Beach Aug 2011
All Star Music/ Port Orleans June 2009
Wyndam August 2002

Can you buy 1 ticket with your miles, then buy the rest of the flights with your credit card?

I don't think so, because Capital One works by having you charge the item and then you tell them that you want to use your points for the purchase. I believe the charge has to be for the same number or few points then you have.

How many flights are you buying? If it is more than one passenger, book them seperately. That way, you'll have enough to cover that airfare. You'll then have up to 90 days from the time of purchase to accumulate more miles to maybe pay off more. Otherwise, you can use the left over miles for any other travel expense. Rental car, hotel charges, etc.

There are several different types of Capital One cards so you should go to the Rewards page on yours and call to check, but this is how mine worked. I bought 5 tickets totaling $1500. When I went into their "redeem for prior purchased travel" option, my Jetblue charge for $1500 showed up. Then it had an option to put in how many tickets were in the charge and then how many I wanted to redeem for miles. I put in 5 tickets and wanted to redeem 2 for miles, so it said I needed 60,000 miles, which I had. If I only had 30,000, I could have gotten 1 ticket credited back. As I said, each type of Capital One card is different (no hassle rewards, venture, etc.) so check with your particular one before you book. I called first and definitely could still book all my tickets on one reservation.

Does anyone know if I purchase $850 worth of gift cards and put the remaining balance on my capital one if this will work?

I have the Capital One Venture Rewards card as well, and while I haven't tried this, I think that would work. The remaining balance of your purchase should show up as redeemable travel.

On another note, I'm trying to find out if I can redeem points for things like the airport shuttle and food/merchandise in the parks. I don't know how liberal Capital One is with what they consider "travel."

If you use your room charge for food in the parks it will show up as a hotel charge, thereby a "travel expense". Not sure about airport shuttle or airport parking.

I guess it depends on what the charge shows up as. If it says Disney Parks or something similar, I bet it would qualify. If it shows the name of the restaurant or store, then no.

I have found that if a charge shows up as something other than travel and you call, they can recategorize it and apply the rewards on their end. I had this happen when I booked a hotel through Hotwire. It came up as "other" and they quickly fixed it and applied rewards. So, if you have a charge in the parks that gets categorized as "other" you should be able to call and tell them that it is a Disney World charge.

Don't forget if you go through their "get more rewards" section on the website, scroll down to Southwest airlines and you can get triple points per dollar spent. If you are flying SW!!!

What if you buy a Disney gift card from Disneyworld.com or Disneyland.com? I'm wondering if you do that if it will be classified as "travel" or if that would require a call to customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter