Cape May Cafe vs. Garden Grove's Friday Night Seafood Buffet?

I wanted to see how many of you all have been to both Cape May and the seafood buffet at Garden Grove and could give your opinion as to which one you preferred. Cape May Cafe is one of two restaurants to have made our list every trip, so I kind of want to keep that up, but I know Garden Grove has characters and a slightly different variety. I'm from Maryland so I know good seafood when I have it :thumbsup2 so that plays a role in my decision. I heard that Cape May has gone downhill a bit since my last trip, but I tend not to hear too much about Garden Grove, and my budget only allows for one or the other.

Thanks so much! :)

You will always hear that about all restaurants at one time or another, but we have been going to Cape May for many years, the last being in April, and it's as delicious as ever.

That's not to say there has not been changes - all the restaurants have changes over time. As for going downhill, no way, it's about our most yummy place to eat there. (I'm a Louisiana girl and we too love our seafood).

It's not exactly the way we prepare it, but not too many restaurants prepare seafood the way we do (we always carry extra seasoning with us). But, it's still one of the best seafood places we've gone to at Disney.

Well we ate there tonight and it was the Seafood Buffet. The waiter said that is the only buffet that they kept.

How was it? And can you describe what was on the buffet and how the lobsters were prepared?
Thanks! Trying to get there this Friday and wondering what to expect:)

How was it? And can you describe what was on the buffet and how the lobsters were prepared?
Thanks! Trying to get there this Friday and wondering what to expect:)

It was ok. The crab legs were very hard to get out of the shell- maybe over cooked? The crab legs at Cape May were better They also had clam chowder, peel and eat shrimp, broiled chicken, a meat carving station, salmon. They brought a basket of fried shrimp and stuff to the table also. Each adult got half a broiled lobster. It was a little plain, but the stuffing was good. Our reservation was for 7:00 and we were seated right away. The place was a little more than half full. They ran out of some of the desserts before we were done and said they wouldn't be putting more of those particular desserts out. I was a little surprised by that bc it was only a little after 8:00. My boys were upset bc they wanted to try the chocolate domes. Overall I was glad I tried it but wouldn't go back.

Thanks for your review :) I think we'll stick with it and give it a try. This is a quick down and back trip for us (three days - down Thursday back Sunday a.m.) and we're staying offsite which we rarely do. We're only hitting the waterparks and downtown disney. We're also usually on the dining plan so we're eating at places not included in the dining plan. Plus with our DVC discount it will be $28 as opposed to cape may which I believe is around $10 more pp. My boys love seafood. I just hope there was an off night with the crab legs bc they can love eating them. I think we'll try to go early based on the dessert issue. That's odd that they would run out and not replenish so early? To me 8pm is too early to run out of dessert.
Appreciate it! Hope you had a great trip otherwise.

I have never been to the Garden Grove but would like to try it. We went to the Cape May Cafe years ago and enjoyed it. Is it still the same as in the 90's? Does the Garden Grove have sushi? My kids love sushi. Do they both cost about the same? thanks.

Do they still have characters at the Friday night seafood buffet? How much is it per person?

We went last Friday. It's 35.99 for adults plus $3 for a drink. They do have a 20% AAA and DVC discount. Our total bill for two adults two children and an infant (5 drinks - and my husband said the chocolate milk was some of the best he's had!) was $100.34 before tip and after 20% discount. I took a ton of pics and will try to do a full review. Characters are there and probably among the best we've had. Chip, Dale, Pluto and goofy and they came around literally 4-5 times. Kids loved it. Enjoyed the salads. Food was ok. Dessert was AMAZING.

We went last Friday. It's 35.99 for adults plus $3 for a drink. They do have a 20% AAA and DVC discount. Our total bill for two adults two children and an infant (5 drinks - and my husband said the chocolate milk was some of the best he's had!) was $100.34 before tip and after 20% discount. I took a ton of pics and will try to do a full review. Characters are there and probably among the best we've had. Chip, Dale, Pluto and goofy and they came around literally 4-5 times. Kids loved it. Enjoyed the salads. Food was ok. Dessert was AMAZING.

Thanks for the info. I never thought about my AAA discount. That is awesome. Was the seafood good? Have you been to Cape May to do a comparison? Love that you get characters with the meal and you do not at Cape May dinner.

You were charged for a regular soft drink? They must have changed. We have never been charged for drinks - last time there April '13. :confused3

We ate at garden grove - not cape may. We were down for three days and stayed off property so we did not have the dining plan. After dinner my husband and I discussed which was better and it was a draw for us. Lobster at garden grove was very good. Crab legs not so great - much better at cape may. Desserts much better at garden grove. Less salad variety at garden grove but I liked every one. Prime rib much better at garden grove. Variety on buffet better at cape may.

We were just at garden grove. The seafood buffet was mediocre at best. I figured characters for the kids plus lobster and a dvc discount - whats not to love? It just wasnt good. No one in my family liked it at all and we love seafood. Cape may was better. I'd skip this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter