Cape May Buffet and Allergies

MedicGoofy

DIS Veteran
Morning All:)

Wondering if anyone with allergies has eaten at the Cape May Cafe breakfast buffet?

If so, I have some questions for you? How did that work for you? Did you eat FROM the buffet itself OR did the chef come out to you and offer to make you a plate? If you ate from the buffet, were you worried about cross contamination? I know things are in different stations BUT, still one sticky set of hands then touching something else?

My SIL is allergic to peanuts and then...fruit. I know there is a lot of fruit on the buffet and basically the only part of it she can have is the pineapple and maybe oranges if they have them. The rest, she is anaphylatically allergic to.

I believe the MIckey waffles are peanut free (????, please correct me if I'm wrong, Im soooo hoping she can induldge in them!!!), so she can have the rest of the buffet I think.....but worried about cross contamination.

Any thoughts and past experience?? THANK YOU:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We've eaten there for breakfast a few times for breakfast. We've never grabbed our food off the buffet because that's too much of a cross contamination risk, though the chef has walked us through the buffet line to see what there is. The chef discusses with us what options are already safe and what options can be modified to be safe and what else he can make for us.

My kids are only mildly allergic to peanuts. We don't worry about cross contamination with that allergen. Last I heard, most places were still using Bob's Red Mill mix for allergy waffles so I'd check their allergy policy to see how you feel about it. I'd also discuss with the chef about cross contamination on the waffle press. Some chefs use apple sauce and/or apple juice in their allergy waffles. I have no idea if the regular waffles are peanut/fruit free or not. That's something the chef would have to go over with you. We can't have the regular waffles due to other allergies.

Here are pictures of our last CMC breakfast. The chef will customize the offerings based on your particular needs and preferences. This is what we got. The chef did get us seconds of whatever we wanted (thirds of the bacon since we love bacon LOL! mmmm..... bacon......).

Shared fruit (we really only eat these and we can't have citrus; there were other options)
DisneyWorld421.jpg

DD14's plate
DisneyWorld426.jpg

DD11 and I got pretty much identical plates.
DisneyWorld427.jpg

Your plates look so yummy:cloud9::cloud9:

Just out of curiousity, why are you not able to have the regular mickey waffles? gluten allergy? if they are putting applesauce in the waffles then my SIL can NOT have them as she is allergic to apples....in a big way!

As long as they are peanut free, she is fine. She has not gluten allergies.

Gluten and milk are among our many allergies so that's why we can't have the regular ones.

The chefs can use other ingredients besides the apple products. I honestly can't recall which places use that. Some use rice milk instead of milk while others use apple juice. Some use apple sauce instead of eggs while others use Ener-G egg replacer. It varies by location. If the chef here DOES use apple sauce then I'm sure he could use something else as there ARE other options (including eggs). My biggest concern is just over how sensitive she is to cross contamination. If apple has been used in the batter then will the use of the same waffle press be a problem? Hopefully the regular batter is ok for her because that would be much simpler. I hope somebody else can chime in about the regular waffles.

We haven't had breakfast at Cape May, but my peanut/tree nut allergic kids were able to have the regular Mickey waffles at Ohana and Crystal Palace. I assume they use the same mix everywhere. The chef at Crystal Palace told us the waffles were safe right off the buffet line. The kids ate them without a problem. Your SIL's fruit allergy might pose an additional problem with cross-contamination, depending upon where fruits are in relation to other items. We ate dinner at Cape May and the chef was very aware of cross-contamination issues. He offered to make plates of things that were near off-limit items.

We have a person with a severe peanut allergy in our party and ate here last year with no problem. If I recall correctly, the chef offered to bring whichever items we wanted on a plate from the kitchen to avoid cross contamination. The chef also made her special peanut-free Mickey waffles. The most important thing to do is note the allergy when you make your ADR and then ask to speak with the chef after you get your table. We found the chefs at Cape May Cafe wonderful in dealing with our allergy.

We have a person with a severe peanut allergy in our party and ate here last year with no problem. If I recall correctly, the chef offered to bring whichever items we wanted on a plate from the kitchen to avoid cross contamination. The chef also made her special peanut-free Mickey waffles. The most important thing to do is note the allergy when you make your ADR and then ask to speak with the chef after you get your table. We found the chefs at Cape May Cafe wonderful in dealing with our allergy.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the 'special peanut free waffles' was made from a different kind of better? Im worried about this as sometimes they put juice/or sauce in it....usually containing apples. Which, for my SIL, is a major allergen for her. Im hoping that it is just regular batter which we all eat, but is just peanut friendly.

Thank you everyone for your replies:thumbsup2

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the 'special peanut free waffles' was made from a different kind of better? Im worried about this as sometimes they put juice/or sauce in it....usually containing apples. Which, for my SIL, is a major allergen for her. Im hoping that it is just regular batter which we all eat, but is just peanut friendly.

I am not sure about the batter, but you could probably ask special diets. Usually, you will get a standard response from your first question; but if you reply, you can usually get some type of detailed response. I also have heard of people contacting the restaurant directly and speaking with the manager or chef. Good luck! I hope she is able to eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter