Can't Plan for Baby? Better Plan for Disney! -- PTR

I just can't get over how courageous you are to want to travel with a few weeks old baby!

I think your reasons for staying offsite make sense, though I do hope you can somehow buy DVD instead. :)

Good luck tomorrow (or Thursday!)

I think you'll really appreciate the extra space if you stay off site. Babies require so much STUFF, and it is nice to not be cramped into a small hotel room.

Driving around the world is actually really, really easy. I general hate driving and I have no sense of direction, and I am completely comfortable driving around WDW. Its like a big circle, and there are lots of signs, so if you miss a turn, don't worry, you'll be able to swing right back around.

Also, with a really little baby, you might not want to be doing a lot of sitdown meals, since you are going to have to be really flexible. It would probably be a better not to be tied to a meal plan, but if you had the TIW card, it would be the best of both worlds, you'll have flexibility, and you'll still save money.

I just can't get over how courageous you are to want to travel with a few weeks old baby!

I think your reasons for staying offsite make sense, though I do hope you can somehow buy DVD instead. :)

Me too! Looks like we won't be taking a baby in Dec, though. =( I suppose that is just one more month to save money for DVC!

Hoping for positives results this week!! Are you going to go this Dec if you do have a baby?
December is such a great time to visit the world!! I love the Christmas season!!

We will go in Dec if we have a baby, since it will be due in Oct. However, that isn't going to happen, so I am now looking at January/Feb. I will get a December trip to the world sometime-- it just won't be this year!

Sending some Baby dust your way! pixiedust:

I have a friend who is a Doula. Amazing work! I wanted to use one when I had my YDD, but there just wasn't anyone in my area at the time! :sad2: I LOVE babywearing, with my fake Moby wrap! :) Word of warning though… some babies don't like to be worn! My oldest is HIGHLY independent and HATED it. :confused3 Broke my heart, but my second LOVES it! :cloud9: We snuggle up and go anywhere!

I had a friend that took her 6-8 week old (I don't remember how old he was at the time) and they did it in JUNE! :eek: I think you would be going at a better time.

Thanks for the info! I definitely think the winter is a good time to go. You can always put more on-- you can only take so much off! :rotfl2: I am glad you like the Moby! I am thinking about picking one up (or making one) and looking into the Beco as well.

You sound like you have a solid plan! We stayed off property once. What we liked most was the space we had. We stayed at Floridays. It was also a beautiful resort.

What I didn't like was -
Paying for parking however, if you have an AP though, you don't have to right?

Not having the dinning plan. We spent waaay more not having it but that is because my dh just gets what he wants anyway. If you have TIW and you don't get the most expensive item on the menu then I am sure it could be a much lower amount and a great way to save some $$ too

Believe it or not, not using the Disney buses. Having people who all wanted to be somewhere at different times, it is hard to say ALL of us have to go to the parks now or ALL of us have to leave the parks now. Letting my teens (and dh) travel by himself is much easier for us.

Floridays did not have a breakfast (not that on property hotels have breakfast included)and I think that is definitely something that would have been a plus for us. Just to be able to grab a pastry and go would have been nice.

Good luck on tuesday/thursday!!!!

I will have to look into Floridays! Thanks for the info! With APs you do get parking at the parks. I can see how the buses are convenient for splitting up. Another plus is that we wouldn't have to bring 4 carseats with us. My husband is in love with the Dining Plan, so that is a consideration as well.

your sister's family is adorable! And Awww your nieces for this TR are also very cute! That treasure idea is a great one! Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks! I will be updating the TR portion later this week!

Hi I'm finally here! :cool1:

I've never stayed off-site, but it sounds like it would make sense for you...driving around the world is no problem, then again, we always stay on-site so we always have those helpful purple Disney signs to point us in the direction of where we're going! :thumbsup2

Buying a DVC resale sounds great, I wish I could do that someday!

Good luck with your testing this week, hope everything goes well! :woohoo:

Thanks! I am glad driving around the world isn't too much of a pain. =)

Good luck tomorrow (or Thursday!)

I think you'll really appreciate the extra space if you stay off site. Babies require so much STUFF, and it is nice to not be cramped into a small hotel room.

Driving around the world is actually really, really easy. I general hate driving and I have no sense of direction, and I am completely comfortable driving around WDW. Its like a big circle, and there are lots of signs, so if you miss a turn, don't worry, you'll be able to swing right back around.

Also, with a really little baby, you might not want to be doing a lot of sitdown meals, since you are going to have to be really flexible. It would probably be a better not to be tied to a meal plan, but if you had the TIW card, it would be the best of both worlds, you'll have flexibility, and you'll still save money.

Thanks for the info! The space is definitely a good thing to have! I also appreciate the information about meals. I don't really have to be flexible right now, and I need to be prepared for that!

Will be sending you lots of positive baby vibes!

Thanks! I can use those vibes next month!

Good luck on Thursday! (Or Tuesday! :) )

Thanks, Jenny!

A Kink in My Planning

I should have recited the title of my TR over and over again these past two weeks.

I guess you really can’t plan a baby. I’m not pregnant this month, which means that the December trip is officially cancelled. Sure, the official “you are not pregnant” test comes tomorrow, but still… I can see the writing on the wall and the two negative tests in the trash.

I was SO excited to see WDW at Christmas. We planned to see the decorations in December of 2011, but I cancelled that trip because we wanted to step up the fertility treatments, which meant more money.

GAH! I have shed my share of tears today, now onto a new plan.

Plan A is to get pregnant next month and have a mid-November baby. I still want to take my kid when he/she is small, so maybe we will plan something for the January when crowds are low. Sure, we will miss the decorations and MVMCP, but that gets us to WDW sooner than Oct 2013.

I have decided to make a back-up plan as well, since I love planning so much. Plan B: if we do not get pregnant next cycle, we will take a month off. I do not want a December baby (we already have 3/10 of the “grandkids” born in December), and if we get another negative we will need a break.

Come April, we will evaluate our options. I think I mentioned adopting through our church before, which would cost a large amount of money. However, my employer offers assistance up to $5,000, and I believe the tax credit for adoption is about the same.

Adoption through my church is relatively cheap as it is subsidized by the tithes and offerings of its members. It costs 10% of your income, with a minimum of $3,000 and a maximum of $10,000. We will probably have to pay the full $10,000. Additionally, we would probably need to pay for the expenses of the birth mother (co-pays, etc.). However, with the credits and adoption assistance, we would ultimately only have to pay for the birth mother’s expenses. Sure, we would have to come up with the $10,000 and get reimbursed, but knowing the money would come back to us eventually is a good thing.

I have thought about IVF, but I don’t know if it’s for me. I would rather pay $10,000+ and be “guaranteed” a baby through adoption…. Although I know nothing is guaranteed until the adoption is finalized. ;) That being said, it is possible that we will not be chosen by a birth mother. If that takes a while, I think I would consider IVF. That costs more than $10,000 and the medications sound downright awful. I don’t know if I could do it. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

There is a bright spot at the end of the tunnel, though! If we do not get pregnant the next cycle with a November baby, we could move the trip with Doug/Wendi/the kids to this October (2012 as opposed to 2013). If I get pregnant in late April or early May I will be in my second trimester, which is a good time to go. The only sad thing would be me not being able to ride certain rides. I know there is a lot to do, even without Splash Mountain and the like. However, I want to experience those rides with my nieces and nephews—not just sit on the sidelines.

That being said, we could probably do a lot more if we only had to ride the E-ticket attractions once, as opposed to twice (using the stroller swap program). This could be a good thing, especially since they are starting to enforce the FastPass return times. Argh!

Additionally, I could help with the other kids, as opposed to trying to focus on my one while still helping Wendi and Doug as much as possible.

Decisions, decisions….

:hug::hug: Just cause I know you deserve a couple. I am very impressed with your attitude. I hope you can get your bfp this next month!!!

I'm sorry to hear you are not pregnant this month. My friend went through 2 and a half years of trying before finally getting pregnant through IVF. Good luck next month!

Aw I'm so sorry to hear the negative baby news. Sorry but I forget, this cycle was an iui? How many have you had? Have you looked into ivf options? I only ask because when we were meeting with the RE it was a possibility to move on to iui and/or ivf and i was looking into pricing. The place I went to was more like $6000 for 3 ivf cycles. I thought that was pretty decent, all things considered (though of course still a ton of money!). We had also considered adoption but for us we really wanted to go throuh as many options as possible first. However, adoption is a fantastic wonderful thing and a child would be so lucky to have a great family like yours ro be welcomed into. :)

I'm sorry about your December trip cancellation. It was so hard to plan for trips and such while trying to get pregnant. 2011 was like that for us. We planned a relaxing trip to prince Edward island but other than that were waiting for baby to plan anything big. Not that going to Disney preggo would be bad, but there is definitely a window of comfort during pregnancy you'd want to hit!

Anyway :goodvibes sorry again about your news and hope you plan the October trip you're talking about!

I'm sorry to hear you aren't pregnant this month. :hug: Sending some pixie dust your way for next cycle pixiedust:

I'm sorry you didn't get pregnant this month.:hug:

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that calculates when they would be due and takes a break certain months. We tried all summer to concieve but once we got back around to having the due fall in the summer we had to take a break. I work as a per diem x-ray tech and work almost full time April- Sept., but hardly work Oct-Feb/March. A huge majority of my income falls in the summer months and it just doesn't work for me to have maternity leave at that time. Sometimes I feel like I am being too picky though and should just let it happen as it will.:confused3

pixiedust:Pixie dust for next month.

I'm so very sorry to hear that this cycle was a bust :sad2::hug::hug::hug: Praying for you that you get your BFP this go round!

I am back! I needed a break from all internet/social things for about a week and a half. I am caught up on all my subscribed threads and I am feeling much less depressed. Don't know why this cycle got to me so much, but it did. I am doing all right, I guess. I appreciate all your well wishes.

Onwards and upwards! We have another IUI this week and hopefully that will do the trick! If not, we will take a few months off and decide what to do. In the meantime, Facebook will continue to suck. I have four friends who announced their pregnancies on Facebook within the last week or so. I deactivated my account for a few days last week, but they all decided to announce AFTER I reactivated! :confused3

I would have kept it deactivated for longer, but I am handling my niece's wedding dress and apparently she doesn't want to email. I have to use this emoticon again, because that just baffles me. :confused3

:hug::hug: Just cause I know you deserve a couple. I am very impressed with your attitude. I hope you can get your bfp this next month!!!

Thanks, Ann! I appreciate it!

:hug: Sending baby vibes for your next cycle. :hug:

Thanks so much!

I'm sorry to hear you are not pregnant this month. My friend went through 2 and a half years of trying before finally getting pregnant through IVF. Good luck next month!

Good to know that there is hope! I love hearing success stories. =) We are actually considering IVF now. Not sure who would want a doula who hasn't given birth. Maybe I can write off IVF as a business expense? :rotfl2:

Aw I'm so sorry to hear the negative baby news. Sorry but I forget, this cycle was an iui? How many have you had? Have you looked into ivf options? I only ask because when we were meeting with the RE it was a possibility to move on to iui and/or ivf and i was looking into pricing. The place I went to was more like $6000 for 3 ivf cycles. I thought that was pretty decent, all things considered (though of course still a ton of money!). We had also considered adoption but for us we really wanted to go throuh as many options as possible first. However, adoption is a fantastic wonderful thing and a child would be so lucky to have a great family like yours ro be welcomed into. :)

I'm sorry about your December trip cancellation. It was so hard to plan for trips and such while trying to get pregnant. 2011 was like that for us. We planned a relaxing trip to prince Edward island but other than that were waiting for baby to plan anything big. Not that going to Disney preggo would be bad, but there is definitely a window of comfort during pregnancy you'd want to hit!

Anyway :goodvibes sorry again about your news and hope you plan the October trip you're talking about!

Thanks so much! I am still hoping to go with my husband soon. I think we could use the break. I would plan a trip sooner than early next year, but I don't know if I can handle the heat and I don't know what this fall will bring. We should know in a couple of weeks!

We did do IUI last cycle, it was our second one. This week will be our third. I have been on Clomid for several cycles now, and it isn't good to be on Clomid for so long.

I haven't looked into IVF that much, but the clinic with the highest success rates here in AZ is $10,000 for one cycle-- and that doesn't include meds or any "extras" like ICSI if that is needed. There are some three cycle plans, and some with 100% money back guarantees, but those are more like $26,000 packages.

Maybe I just need to move to a state where IVF has to be covered by insurance. My job would let me telecommute, but Evan's wouldn't, so that would be difficult. We shall see. I just need to tell myself that this cycle isn't going to determine my future and that I don't need to make a decision within the next 10 minutes. I get a bit crazy about things like that!

I'm sorry to hear you aren't pregnant this month. :hug: Sending some pixie dust your way for next cycle pixiedust:

Thanks! :hug:

I'm sorry you didn't get pregnant this month.:hug:

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that calculates when they would be due and takes a break certain months. We tried all summer to concieve but once we got back around to having the due fall in the summer we had to take a break. I work as a per diem x-ray tech and work almost full time April- Sept., but hardly work Oct-Feb/March. A huge majority of my income falls in the summer months and it just doesn't work for me to have maternity leave at that time. Sometimes I feel like I am being too picky though and should just let it happen as it will.:confused3

pixiedust:Pixie dust for next month.

Glad we are not the only ones as well! I suppose a December baby wouldn't be too awful, I mean, a baby is a baby, right? However, we could use the break and it's a great excuse. Three out of the 10 grandkids on my side have December birthdays, so it would be nice to have a kid in month without a birthday! If we get pregnant this cycle, it would be due mid-December.

I'm so very sorry to hear that this cycle was a bust :sad2::hug::hug::hug: Praying for you that you get your BFP this go round!

Thanks! I really appreciate the support! :thumbsup2

Day 1: Part 2—Cinderella’s Royal Table

When last I posted, I had just taken a nap. Even after the nap my head was killing me…. And I was starting to get nauseous.

I knew that vomiting would probably make me feel better, as it usually does. So I did, and it worked! I took a couple more Excedrin and decided to go to dinner.

We met Carol, Steven, and the girls in their hotel room. They were all ready to go! Autograph books were in the backpacks, pin lanyards donned, and wheelchair was ready to roll!

29.jpg

Here is a picture of their family outside their room. We requested rooms near each other, but Evan and I were on a completely different floor!

30.jpg

We decided to take the boat over to MK, since it is more exciting than the bus. Love Chloe’s face here. She looks completely baffled by the thought of taking a picture.

32.jpg

We are here! We are really, really here!

33.jpg

As part of the countdown chain, the girls received a lanyard with 25 pins. I never really “got” the whole pin trading thing until I saw how excited the girls were. The first cast member encountered at MK prompted a pin trade. They were trading all week! I wish I would have bought more pins, as near the end they liked all their pins and didn’t trade as much.

35.jpg

On our way up the ramp and into the castle!

36.jpg

The first item of business was meeting Cinderella! The girls weren’t too excited about the concept of characters. They thought, “they are just people in costumes, why should I care?”

Well, the second they saw Cinderella they started to care! They were excited about getting autographs for the rest of the trip! Here is Cinderella signing one of their books.

40.jpg

The girls and Cinderella. I love the PhotoPass signature borders. I wish they had them for each character!

42a.jpg

We got two pictures since we were a group of 6. This one was with the entire family!

When we go with my sister and BIL, we will get three pictures! I can’t believe we will have that many people with us!

42b.jpg

Carol really liked the theming inside the waiting area, so she took this picture. I really like the tapestries because they are nice and subtle. They don’t scream DISNEY!

43.jpg

Coat of Arms on the fireplace:

38.jpg

We were finally let up the stairs to our table. Since we had a large group, we were stuck on the second “tier”, to the side. Curtains were over the windows, so we wouldn’t have been able to see Fantasyland anyway, so we were fine with this location.

The girls were SO excited about their magic wands and wishing stars!

44.jpg

They could barely pay attention to their menus. They were having so much fun waving the wands and looking around the restaurant.

47.jpg

The girls loved doing the activities on the menus, even though they knew all of the activities by heart as our trip neared its end. They loved to circle what items they planned to order, so they wouldn’t forget when the waitress came around.

49.jpg

Bread! I was still rather awful at this point, but I was able to hold down some bread.

53.jpg

Waiting to order our food… better take more pictures!

54.jpg

I ordered a child’s appetizer because I wanted something bland for my stomach. I ate the grapes and some of the cheese. It got me ready to eat the rest of my meal and made me feel a bit human again.

55.jpg

Both of the girls ordered the salad for their appetizer. I think they liked it, but I don’t really remember.

56.jpg

Evan and Steven ordered the cheese plate for their appetizer. My husband always orders the cheese plate for his first course on our first night. It has become something of a tradition. Next time we go, I will need to make a reservation for a restaurant that serves a cheese plate!

57.jpg

Carol ordered the salad. I should have written down the actual descriptions, but I didn’t.

58.jpg

I had to get a picture of Carol with her first bite of Disney Food!!

59.jpg

When I explained my situation to the waitress and ordered the child’s appetizer, I assume she felt sorry for me. She brought out this extra appetizer “just in case” I wanted something “real.” I don’t think I ate it, as I wasn’t feeling well, but I think Steven enjoyed it.

60.jpg

Day 1: Part 3—Princess Parade

At this point the Princesses started coming around. As you can tell by June’s face, they were a hit! (Even though they are “just” people in costumes, LOL!)

65.jpg

A picture of both girls with Belle! I love Belle in the blue dress… I prefer her to the yellow dress Belle.

68.jpg

Aurora was next!

74.jpg

Snow White came around to do her thing.

82a.jpg

The girls were happy to see another princess!

84.jpg

At this point, we were all ready for our meals. We were still in a pretty good mood, and I was slowly starting to feel better.

89.jpg

The girls both ordered the Chicken Tenders meal.

90.jpg

I had the fried chicken with Mac and Cheese, as did Steven. NOT GOOD. Everything was lukewarm and the oil from the cheese had separated from everything else so it was pretty gross to look at. That being said, I love CRT and would eat here again… maybe I will try lunch next time!

91.jpg

Evan and Carol both had the beef with the cheese mashed potatoes. They both liked theirs, so I must have just ordered incorrectly. This was the first time of many that Carol and Evan ordered the same dish. They definitely grew up in the same family!

92.jpg

After we received our meals, Jasmine made her way over to us. The girls had this running joke that they were going to tell her how immodest her outfit was, and that it was inappropriate! Carol didn’t want the girls to say anything, but I did! I wanted to see how Jasmine reacted and if she could stay in character. Maybe I will convince one of my nieces to say something. Alyssa (6), is rather sassy, maybe she will do it.

93.jpg

My posed picture with Jasmine didn’t turn out. I have two—one where Jasmine is looking at me, and one where the girls are looking at me (see below). Maybe I can figure out a way to photoshop the other head onto this body.

98.jpg

Dessert time! All of the adults chose the sampler. It was pretty good… I think the chocolate thing was the best.

101.jpg

The chocolate thing:

102.jpg

This was berries with some sort of creamy custard concoction. I thought it was pretty good. Nice and light.

104.jpg

This cheesecake “bite” was just okay. I remember wanting a thicker crust and a thicker filling. The ratio of topping to cheesecake was disproportionate.

103.jpg

The girls both ordered the make-your-own-Sundae. I don’t know how many times they ordered this dessert on the trip. It was crazy! They made me take a picture of them with their sundae every single time. I really wanted them to order something else to add variety to my food porn collection! June and her creation:

106.jpg

Chloe and her creation:

107.jpg

Since Evan’s birthday was two days before, he received a cupcake. Not very good—he preferred his “real” dessert. His birthday is coming up again this week! I can’t believe it has been a year since this trip!

108.jpg

Me and Evan in CRT. I think this is the first picture of me from the trip. My head looks really small because my hair is a bit too short. Should have gotten it cut two weeks before the trip, as opposed to the night before! =)

110.jpg

One our way out we took a picture of the girls with the suit of armor. They were getting pretty good a posing at this point!

111.jpg

Although MK was open for another hour or so, and the fireworks had yet to start, we decided to go back to the resort. We wanted to make sure we had plenty of sleep. The next morning we had to join the Toy Story Mania marathon!

114a.jpg

We decided to stop in the lobby and get our refillable mugs. We had to pass by the totem pole on the way to our rooms (they were in the Villas section). I told both of the girls to rub the bear’s nose so that we would have a good trip! They thought this was pretty funny.
116.jpg

117.jpg

Up next: Will we make it to our morning ADR? Would the wheelchair get trampled in the TSM marathon?

Staying Off Site? Heck No!

When Evan and I were at Disneyland a few weeks ago, I casually brought up the idea of staying off site in October 2013 (as he didn’t know that I was planning a December 2012 trip at that time).

Anyway, I mentioned that we could have more room off site and that it would be much cheaper, even figuring in the cost of renting two vans.

He was adamantly opposed and wanted to pay thousands more to stay on site for several reasons.

1) Driving—I have to agree with him here. ;) He drives 100% of the time whenever we are together. In California he was super stressed finding out where we needed to go--- and we have been to DLR three times in the past four/five months. Sure, I was navigating, but he couldn’t find the hotel even though we had driven there several times! It was stressful for me because he was freaking out, and I can only imagine that it will be stressful for the group as a whole. We could borrow GPSs for the trip, but I don’t know if it would alleviate that frustration. I have heard GPS is rather useless at WDW.

2) Convenience—he said that if one of the kids were to throw a fit or get sick, an adult could take him/her back to the hotel and not interrupt the day for the rest of the group. He makes a good point, and I have thought about this several times since Ann brought it up.

3) Meal Plan—my husband LOVES the dining plan. Loves. He loves paying for things ahead of time and not having to worry about how much things cost, whether or not he will like something, etc. Now, I don’t know why money/pre-paying is an issue for him, as I manage our finances, pay the bills, etc. (We combined money/accounts when we got married 10 years ago. When you have 0 + nothing, it isn’t that big of a deal to have the same account, LOL!). Anyway, he likes the freedom of the dining plan.

Me? Sure, I like pre-paying for stuff. However, ideally I would like to eat one counter service each day (lunch) and two table service each day (breakfast and dinner). There is no meal plan that offers that. Additionally, we could save just as much with TIW. We don’t always need an appetizer or dessert, or a drink for that matter. I suppose that we will just have to decide where we want to eat, calculate the costs based on the most expensive things on the menu, and go from there.

I am still torn about the whole thing, but nothing needs to be decided right away. We have a long two week wait coming up!

For the next update, I will post pictures of our first Disney movie night with the kids. This took place last Aug or Sept when we thought we were going in 2012.

What movie did we watch? Wait and see!

I thought I had commented, but I guess I forgot to! Sorry to hear it wasn't this cycle. It will happen when the time is right.:hug:
Love the girls' expressions with the characters! So cute! My girls are the same way about wondering what the big deal is with the characters, but then they fall in love.

I am so glad to see you back here. I really will continue to pray that the remainder of your ttc journey is short and you get a bfp soon. That being said, I realize that this is a stressful time....and so :hug: just in case you need one... and :hug: to hold on to for a moment that you definitely do.

And.. your updates...

I love that the girls were not into the characters until they saw Cinderella. Such great photos of them. Interesting how different the princesses can be cast. Our Belle in December at CRT was much older than yours... :rolleyes:

I am sorry you were not feeling well. Never fun to be sick while on vacation...especially when you have a special meal planned.

As for staying off site...

I agree with your dh... You could have been writing that for me... I drive all the time... don't want to drive on vacation. I like the flexibility of being able to leave part of the group behind (in the park or at the room) I just wish the transportation was a tad more reliable...time wise. And paying up front with the dp does take away the stress of how much something is or am I going to like this. There was a cupcake at DHS that dd got in December. Cutest little cupcake but it tasted HORRID. I would have felt so bad if we paid oop for it... but since it was off the dp.. some how it allowed me to be able to see that it was cute and neat to try yet not get stressed out when ultimately we chucked it into the nearest garbage can.

cant wait to read more popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter