Can't decide on Dec resort.

mrsp1030

DIS Veteran
I've decided to take our youngest of 3 DS to WDW for a 4 night stay in early Dec. He will be 3.5 and since we had to choose a specific time frame due to DH job, resorts are limited although I'm aware of them opening up as people cancel. We've stayed at AKL, WL and VGF in the past 5-6 times we've gone. My choices are AKL pool or savannah view, WL (no special for one night), yacht club, split stay one night at WL, 3 at poly.

Any advice? My mom is coming and has only done AKL with Us before. Concerns are AKL just further away, WL construction.

We've done the WL/Poly split stay before. WL is gorgeous during the holidays, unsure what the Poly will do since the lobby was recently renovated.

WL is undergoing major refurb. Even though the villas are getting the refurb, the entire resort will be affected. The letter that Disney is sending out states that noise will be an issue after 9am until 7 pm. The nature trails, fire pit, playground, and beach will be closed. The movie under the stars will be moved inside to community room. The health club will not be performing any spa services due to noise. Plus, just the general ugliness of construction. Construction starts in Oct until 2017.

Even though the YC is the bomb, AKL with its Xmas decor is jaw dropping. AKL is only about 5 miles further away to MK than most Disney resorts. About equal distance away to EP/HS as most Disney resorts. And of course, closest to AK. The extra 5 miles isn't that much longer. Also, AKL is the only deluxe that doesn't share buses. They have great buses compared to other deluxes.

I'm big into split stays and do them about 90% of the time. Sometimes triple split stays but I'm there for 2 weeks. I wouldn't suggest doing a split stay for only a 4 night trip, especially with a little one.

Last edited:
I believe that WL will be in the midst of construction adding the waterfront cabins - so, lovely as it is at Christmas, I'd personally give it a pass this year. Why not try the YC? It's so convenient to Epcot and DHS and it looks like you haven't stayed at an Epcot area resort so it would make a nice change for you, especially considering your other options. 4 days seems awfully short to do a split stay, especially with a 3 yr. old. I 'm your mom's age probably and while I love AKL, for a short trip the easy in/out to the countries at Epcot at Christmas you have w/ YC is a real plus.

We highly prefer EPCOT resorts over AKL. During the holidays we had terrible bus service to and from AKL. With EPCOT resorts you have the ability to walk to two parks or take a boat, only needing a bus to AK and MK.

I actually have a Savannah room on hold right now....but have just changed dates by one day and now more options are available...boardwalk,beach club and a poly studio (a little pricer but there)...I am horrible at decisions!!!!

So switched the AKL savannah room last night to a Poly studio. It was either that or BC as we wanted to try something different this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter