Can't believe that Disney World is less than Disneyland!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by BensWife, Jan 4, 2013.

1. BensWife

BensWife Mouseketeer

I am in shock! I totally thought that Disney World would be more expensive than Disneyland, but it is actually cheaper!! The airfare from Colorado to Florida is 20 bucks cheaper (not much, but I'll take it), and staying at POR is $1000 less than staying at Paradise Pier in Disneyland. Who knew? Cool!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Tinker1972

Tinker1972 Mouseketeer

We found the same thing when we were planning a Disney trip in October 2011...I checked the price for both, and Disneyworld was cheaper, even with staying 4 extra nights!!! We had the free dining plan too, so it was even less as we didn't have to pay for food. I was shocked. We live in Vancouver, Canada so I figured the airfare was going to be much, much more.Not sure if we just completely lucked out, but we found airfare for $199 return:cool1:
    We were just in Disneyland in October as there were 12 of us and nobody could take more than just a few days off. I'm pretty darn sure we could have spent a week in WDW for the same price!

4. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

It can definitely work out that way.

And, FWIW, as excited as I am for a short stay at POR, it's a motel, with doors that go to the outside, while PPH is a hotel with a proper inside lobby, etc. It's hard to compare the two.

And, of course, FL and CA have very different pricing structures. So in a large way it makes sense that a trip out there is less than a trip to Southern CA.

Airfare, too, is funny, when you can sometimes find long flights that cost less than short ones. That's the luck of the draw, though.

5. kapoof

kapoof DIS Veteran

Someday I would like to see disney land. But it is smaller and only has three resorts. Disney world seems to be a better buy right now.

6. searlproudbottom

searlproudbottom DIS Veteran

And don' for get about ME. There is no ME in California. Ground Transportation from Lax is not cheap. Living in California is not cheap. Gasoline here is about .50 cents higher than on Disney Property. And then there is California sales tax 7.75% vs 6.5 % in Orlando. I could go on and on but I have to get to work to pay my California taxes I mean fees.

7. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

Airfare can vary by wide margins. I remember I had a team meeting for work and it cost twice as much to fly Pittsburgh-Minneapolis than Pittsburgh-Los Angeles. Why? There was no competition to Minneapolis, there was to LA.

I've stayed at both POR and PPH. I would put PPH in the deluxe category. The DCA view is worth the extra money.

8. closetmickey

closetmickey DIS Veteran

Yes, unfortunately, any of the Disneyland onsite hotels are considered more Deluxe. To get moderate or value pricing, you have to go offsite.

9. Canooknic

Canooknic Mouseketeer

We found similar. It is only costing about $800 for 8 days WDW than 4 days at DL.
    The only downside is the much (much) longer flight but hey-ho!

10. GreenCntryGirl

GreenCntryGirl The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Every time I compare prices it is that way. That's why I stick to WDW.

11. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

We just went to DL in Nov... the one factor is everything is in walking distance at DL vs busses etc in WDW. Everything is all together. ( the 3 hotels, the parks and Downtown Disney.)

If you have not been to California.. go for it, it was great to compare the 2 parks.... and we loved Tower of Terror better in Cali. ( along with a few other rides.)

12. disneyworld1977

disneyworld1977 Mouseketeer

Yea thats why I never can stay onsite at DLR. We usually at a value or moderate there at WDW. The three hotels at DLR are Deluxe prices. Oh well, we will stay offsite and walk across to DLR :)

13. Royal Consort

Royal Consort And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in

We did Disney World and Disneyland in the same trip at the end of last year. We spent 9 nights in Disney World and 4 days in Disneyland. I can tell you that Disneyland cost as much during those 4 days as our entire week in the World. It's prohibitively expensive. Next time we won't stay on-site though. It was nice to do but I don't think it's necessary to stay on site and the service just wasn't up the standard I'd come to expect from the World resorts either.