Canopy pattern

Glynis

<font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t
Hi, I'm a long-time lurker. I stand in awe of your crafting/sewing/scrapping skills. I am in a dilemma, and am coming to you all for some help or suggestions.

We recently bought a canopy bed (without a canopy) for our oldest DD. We told her that if she kept her room clean for a month we would get her a canopy for her bed. I NEVER thought she'd do it, as cleaning is not her favorite thing in the world, but I underestimated the pull of a canopy. The month is up next week, and she's been hinting about a canopy. So, I've looked around for premade canopies, and most of them are the mosquito netting on a hoop. Our bed has the canopy rails, so that won't work. Does anyone know of a pattern for a canopy? Or perhaps you have made one without a pattern and could PM me "idiot" instructions on how to make one. I do know basics of sewing, and I can't imagine that a canopy is too hard.

Can anyone help me?

Canopies aren't too hard, as you suspected. I'm sure they make a pattern out there, but you really don't need one. Just measure the length of the canopy going over the frame and the width of the frame. As I've made these before, I recall that it was somewhere close to 40 x 80". Cut a piece of fabric that dimension plus seam allowances. Choose what length of a drop you wish to have and cut it (with seam allowance and hem included) out. If you have a ruffler attachment for your machine, it would be easiest to ruffle it. Use a 3:1 ratio for fabric (Cut 3 times longer piece than you will be attaching to the top canopy piece, allowing for the ruffling). If you don't have a ruffler, the easiest way is to just put little pleats (1/4") every inch or so across the whole thing. This will allow for the fullness that you're probably looking for. Hem the ruffle/pleated fabric. Leave about 1 inch open at the corners, but attach the entire ruffle/pleated fabric to the top canopy. If you don't want to leave 1" at the corners, you can make a buttonhole there if that is easier for you. All you need is enough room for the pole insert to go through. The great thing about "doing it yourself" is that you can pick any fabric. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with whatever you come up with!

you might want to check the penneys catalog they used to have solid color canopys with the bedding....dd12 has a canopy bed and when we moved we couldn't put it back up because of the ceiling fans so.....we had to get one made out of netting but it doesnt' have a ring with it.....it would have rested on top of canopy .......but we tacked to the ceiling to make it work.hope this helps..... :sunny:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've written down the directions for making one on my own, and I'm going to visit the sites listed. If DD can find one she likes, great, if not, we'll take a trip to the fabric store and she can pick out material she wants. Wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!