Canon T5 or PowerShot?

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
I'm unhappy with the Sony Cybershot I bought two years ago. It was an impulse purchase and I didn't read any reviews first. I feel it is really slow to respond, especially when using flash. Like a couple of seconds between pressing the button and the picture.

My co-worker just bought a PowerShot that she brought in to show me and it does seem a lot quicker. I've also briefly used my SIL's DSLR and it is of course super fast.

The Powershot my co-worker has is $279 and the Canon T5 DSLR is $399 (and Amazon's #1 seller in DSLR). I really have no interest in using different lenses or learning about a bunch of manual settings. I'm a casual user but frustrated with for instance taking DD's homecoming pictures with her friends and having to say, Wait, Hold It...

I also don't want anything big and heavy (but I like the chunkier style rather than the slim rectangle shaped cameras). Amazon says both of the above choices are lighter than my Sony though.

Any advice? Is the DSLR worth the extra $120?

I love my canon powershot. It has just enough settings for me.
Snice you aren't interested in manual settings I would think that the powershot would be just what you need.

I agree about the Sony Cybershot. I had one too and wasn't very happy with it. But I also had the Canon and that camera did not last very long. I now have a Nikon Coolpix. I've had this one the longest and so far like the best.

I agree about the Sony Cybershot. I had one too and wasn't very happy with it. But I also had the Canon and that camera did not last very long. I now have a Nikon Coolpix. I've had this one the longest and so far like the best.

Can you tell me which model of Coolpix?

I have the Canon T2i dslr and I love it. I picked up the T5 and to me it felt to heavy for my hand. But I love the canon brand.

I'm unhappy with the Sony Cybershot I bought two years ago. It was an impulse purchase and I didn't read any reviews first. I feel it is really slow to respond, especially when using flash. Like a couple of seconds between pressing the button and the picture.

My co-worker just bought a PowerShot that she brought in to show me and it does seem a lot quicker. I've also briefly used my SIL's DSLR and it is of course super fast.

The Powershot my co-worker has is $279 and the Canon T5 DSLR is $399 (and Amazon's #1 seller in DSLR). I really have no interest in using different lenses or learning about a bunch of manual settings. I'm a casual user but frustrated with for instance taking DD's homecoming pictures with her friends and having to say, Wait, Hold It...

I also don't want anything big and heavy (but I like the chunkier style rather than the slim rectangle shaped cameras). Amazon says both of the above choices are lighter than my Sony though.

Any advice? Is the DSLR worth the extra $120?

Another satisfied user of Canon Powershot! I like the quality of good pics without all the settings hassles. DH, on the other hand has a very expensive Canon which has plenty of interchangeable lenses and of course lots of settings ability. It's Canon all the way with us.

I really have no interest in using different lenses or learning about a bunch of manual settings.

...snip...

I also don't want anything big and heavy (but I like the chunkier style rather than the slim rectangle shaped cameras).
These two points make me think you'd be happier with a high-end point-and-shoot (i.e. the $279 option).

I'm with you on the Sony. I had one years ago and it stunk - switched to Canon and am very happy (I have a T3i with a few lenses). :)

I had to chime in here. I bought a Nikon Coolpix one year ago. It is by far the worst camera I have ever owned. I bought it right before our Disney trip last year and many if not most of the pictures were blurry or ruined. What a disappointment!

I have been using digital cameras since 1999. I have taken thousands and thousands of photos since then... for ebay, of kids and grandkids, etc, with my old cameras, but this Nikon Coolpix is absolutely terrible! There is not a clear, crisp shot in any of my pics no matter what setting I use. Forget any type of close up and if anyone moves at all, it is one big blur. I will never buy anything Nikon again. I guess not all Coolpix are created equal because my Nikon is most un-cool.

I loved the Kodak Z camera I bought in 2007. It has lasted this long, still takes great pictures, but can't keep a charge too long. I think it was a Z12, but it's late right and I can't check right now. The Kodak gave me consistently crisp, clear, pix and wonderful close ups. I never had the kind of problems with the Kodak, that I am having with the Nikon Coolpix. I wished I would have returned the Nikon when I had the chance. A total waste of money and now I'm trying to save for a new camera again. I wish I could find today's equivalent of the Kodak Z12.

There is also another canon that is somewhat new. I forget what they call it. It is a DSLR, but it is very light weight and it is suppose to be very easy to use. And it is a little smaller also. If you ask a salesman I am sure they know and you can look at it.

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ70. $297.00 minus $50 instant rebate = $247. at BH Photo. If you live outside New York there isn't any sales tax and all orders over $49 ships free. Highly reputable dealer. I live in Illinois and I get my order in 2 business days. Ships UPS.

It is 60x optical zoom ( 20mm to 1200mm at 35mm equivalent).
Wide Macro: 0.39" (1 cm) - Infinity
Tele Macro: 4.92' (1.5 m) - Infinity

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/996038-REG/panasonic_dmc_fz70k_lumix_fz70_digital_camera.html

I have had a wide variety of cameras, from basic point and shoots to several DSLRs I use in my photography business.
I love my Panasonic Lumix! It's a small point and shoot that does an amazing job, especially in low-light situations and backlit situations. It's the camera I always have in my bag, and unless I really need the flexibility of the DSLRs for photography jobs - the Lumix is always the camera I grab to use.
The one I have is the DMX-ZS25 ($379 on Amazon, but I got it when it was the deal of the day for $110). It's an older model now, but the new model DMX-ZS45 ($220 on Amazon) is likely very similar.

I just upgraded from a Canon Rebel T1i to a Canon Rebel T6i.......love the rebel. Easy to use.

I have had a wide variety of cameras, from basic point and shoots to several DSLRs I use in my photography business.
I love my Panasonic Lumix! It's a small point and shoot that does an amazing job, especially in low-light situations and backlit situations. It's the camera I always have in my bag, and unless I really need the flexibility of the DSLRs for photography jobs - the Lumix is always the camera I grab to use.
The one I have is the DMX-ZS25 ($379 on Amazon, but I got it when it was the deal of the day for $110). It's an older model now, but the new model DMX-ZS45 ($220 on Amazon) is likely very similar.

Love my older Lumix also. It was somewhere in that $300 price range when new and I've had it a few years.

We had a group shot done at 'Ohana pre breakfast and I handed my Lumix to the Disney photographer as I knew I wouldn't buy their photo.

She snapped a picture and handed me back the camera. They brought the photos to the table and serveral were purchased. Later on our way back to the house family owns I stopped at CVS and had a few 5x7 copies made and gave them to family members. In comparing the 2 pictures both taken by the Disney photographer, the Lumix pic developed and printed at CVS was the favorite.

Panasonic just came out with the FZ300 and it is splash proof. That means you can take pictures in the rain.

The other plus is it's a 12MP sensor. People get all caught up in thinking the More pixels the better. If you are printing 8x10 12 MP is more than enough. The other plus is there are less and bigger pixels on the 12MP sensor than say on a 20MP sensor. Here how it works. The more pixels you pack on a sensor it's light gathering ability goes down. That's because the pixels are smaller. When you reduce the number of pixels they are bigger and they gather more light. That means better low light pictures.

I have an old Panasonic 9mp 10x zoom. Boy does it take great pictures. And I printed 8x10 with no problem.

Looking at some of their cameras (wanted longer zoom) I noticed they have lowered the MP from 18 to 16 on some.

The FZ300 has a Leica lens. The f2.8 is constantly (widest opening) the same whether you are shooting 25mm or 600mm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter