Canon brand loyalty?

BirdsOfPreyDave

Disney Lover, DVC Member, SSR Fanatic
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Ok, sorry. I'm going to be "that" guy, and swoop in on the photography board from out of the blue and ask the ol' "which camera is better" question. Hopefully my post shows I've at least done a little research on the question, first.

My current camera is a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. This is my second Canon Rebel, upgrading to digital from an EOS Rebel II. I'm feeling the need to upgrade to something more current, but don't know whether to stick with the Canon brand or look at others.

I've got a bit of an investment in lenses and other accessories, albeit some of them are dated and seldom used. The two lenses that came with the kits have been superseded by newer lens purchases, for example.

With the exception of a pop-up flash that sometimes needs a little assistance opening, I've never had any issues with either of my Canons. So I'm not necessarily looking to change for the sake of change. I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on a truly great camera by only looking at a within-brand replacement.

For a little more background, I use the camera mostly on vacations and for family events. Really love taking pictures at Disney. I'm far from a professional and probably not even up to the bar of a true enthusiast. I do rate myself above a typical point and shooter, though.

For additional insight into the Canon investment, here's everything currently in my camera bag.
  • Digital Rebel XT (DS126071)
  • Lenses
    • Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II w/ Canon Circular PL-C (my workhorse lens)
    • Canon EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM w/ Sunpak ultraviolet (another lens I get a lot of use out of)
    • Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II (my "dark ride and fireworks" lens)
  • Seldom used lenses
    • Canon EF80-200mm 1:4-5.6 II
    • Canon EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 III w/ Promaster Spectrum 7 1A + C-P.L
    • Promaster Spectrum 7 19-35mm 1:3.5-4.5 w/ Spectrum 7 1A
  • Several other filters
    • Canon UV Haze
    • Tiffen Soft/FX 3
  • Misc
    • Promaster FTD 5700 flash
    • Extra Battery
    • Multiple 2GB CF Cards
    • Canon RC-1 wireless remote shutter
    • Canon EH-18L semi-hard leather case

I was originally thinking about the EOS Rebel T3i -- pretty much a straight upgrade from the entry-level XT. But when comparing it to the EOS 60D on snapsort.com, the 60D certainly seems to be worth the extra $200 (even if I might never know what to do with all the buttons.)

If I stay with Canon, I'm thinking of buying body only. Or would the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens that comes with the kit be enough of an improvement over the non-IS 18-55mm I mostly use now to warrant an additional $200?

Really love the semi-hard leather case vice carrying a camera bag in parks. Anyone know if the EH-18L will fit on the 60D? I'm guessing not, since the dimensions are different.

One last Canon questions. Read a comment about the T2i that it doesn't include a wireless shutter release option. Can't find specifications to tell me if the same's the case with the T3i or 60D. Will my RC-1 work with either of these cameras? Not a show-stopper, as there's always the timer.

Now to the thread title... Canon or not?

What makes me nervous about staying with the Canon is that when I compare either of these two Canon cameras (T3i or 60D) to compatible Nikons, the Nikons seem to score much better -- especially in image quality. I also notice the Nikon has a continuous auto-focus during video shooting. Would appreciate any comments on limitations of Canon's manual focus for videos. I'm hoping to have a single camera, and eliminate carrying the Flip Mino HD. I'm not a big fan of the FlipShare software required to use it, or the need to download every hour.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've got a bit of an investment in lenses and other accessories, albeit some of them are dated and seldom used. The two lenses that came with the kits have been superseded by newer lens purchases, for example.

I am one that plans on sticking to my brand of choice for the simple fact that I have an investment in the accessories and lenses. I did my homework before I purchsed my first body and I am still happy with my choice.

For the most part all cameras have the same baseline functionality. The manufacturers do everything in their power to market the bells and whistles and the slight differences between competitor models.

Just my 2 cents.

You have a lot of money tied up in the Canon lenses. It is hard to switch brands when you would have to layout a lot of money just to make the move. Also, new camera are always coming out and for the most part any camera you go with can give great results if you know how to use them.

You have a lot of money tied up in the Canon lenses. It is hard to switch brands when you would have to layout a lot of money just to make the move. Also, new camera are always coming out and for the most part any camera you go with can give great results if you know how to use them.

Agree.
I have a canon 500d. Love it. If you switch brands you are basically scrapping everything you have and starting over. You have some ef lenses, you could buy a full frame canon and be good.
There is more to "quality" and "sharpness" than just a Brand. A decent lens, good body, and photographer that knows what he is doing will produce a good picture. A kit lens, especially a zoom, is not always as sharp as a prime lens, especially once you add a filter or two on the front.

The latest cameras using the new Sony 16MP sensor do have the best high ISO performance and dynamic range. This is true. However, as has been stated the difference isn't night and day and newer technology is always on the way.

Provided you are still happy with Canon, get a Canon. The 60D would be my recommendation over a Rebel.

I am a long time Nikon person but with the equipment you have I would have a hard time changing. My only suggestion once you decide on the body you want to, start upgrading your bag with some better or faster glass.

One last Canon questions. Read a comment about the T2i that it doesn't include a wireless shutter release option. Can't find specifications to tell me if the same's the case with the T3i or 60D. Will my RC-1 work with either of these cameras? Not a show-stopper, as there's always the timer.

I did a quick Google search on the Canon RC-1, and the-digital-picture.com states that the wireless shutter release works for the Canon T2i, Canon T3i, AND the Canon 60D. (link)

Here's a list of Canon cameras that the Canon RC-1 is compatible with:

• Digital Rebel T3i 600D
  • Digital Rebel T2i 550D
  • Digital Rebel T1i 500D
  • Digital Rebel XSi 450D
  • Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 400D
  • Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 350D
  • Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D
  • Canon EOS 60D
  • Canon EOS 7D
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark II

What makes me nervous about staying with the Canon is that when I compare either of these two Canon cameras (T3i or 60D) to compatible Nikons, the Nikons seem to score much better -- especially in image quality.

Do Nikons really score "much better" than Canons in terms of image quality? I tried looking on dpreview.com (a Website dedicated to reviewing digital cameras), and it appears that the image quality of both brands' equivalent dSLRs are about the same. I didn't realize that 1 brand's image quality was that much better than another's.

So back to your question of whether you should switch brands or not, ultimately it's up to you. It would seem like a HUGE hassle to sell off all your Canon equipment (would you get full price for selling all this?), and then to build your lens collection up from scratch.

And what if you did all this switching to investing tons of $$$$$ into Nikon products, and suddenly Canon comes out with a "better" camera than Nikon. Then what do you do? Do you sell off all your Nikon stuff and switch back to Canon? :confused:

It seems that Canon & Nikon often leapfrog over each other...this year Nikon has more "bells & whistles" to its camera, then next year Canon will have even better "bells & whistles", then next year...etc.

If you've already invested this much $$$$$ into Canon, then I'd say stick with Canon. While there *are* differences in different brands' cameras, I don't think they are major enough differences to warrant a complete overhaul of your camera collection.

Do Nikons really score "much better" than Canons in terms of image quality? I tried looking on dpreview.com (a Website dedicated to reviewing digital cameras), and it appears that the image quality of both brands' equivalent dSLRs are about the same. I didn't realize that 1 brand's image quality was that much better than another's.

This is news to me ... the last few reviews I've been reading are all about features, not IQ. I doubt anyone could look at the results of any of the modern DSLRs and determine which came from which based on IQ alone.

They're all good. :goodvibes

It's largely just the "feature-set" package that each camera comes with that distinguishes them, now....

IMO the photographer and the glass have a whole lot more to do with any differences in image quality than the body does with today's DSLR's.

I'm a long time Canon user, but I wouldn't call myself brand loyal really. I used a 35mm Rebel G because it fit what I needed at the time. I wanted a Rebel XT for my first DSLR, again because it fit. And I got the 50D because by that time I had a good collection of glass, not unlike the original poster's, that I was comfortable with so I stayed Canon. And the 50D's features fit what I needed. Now I have my eye on the 1D mark IV (shhh, don't tell my husband). Though admittedly I'm torn between it and the Pentax 645D (really don't mention that one to him LOL) because like I said, I'm not brand loyal and the Pentax might fit what I want better at this time. Now are you seeing the trend that it's all about what fits me?

If you're happy with your glass and the feel of the new Canon's (do go play because the new Rebels and the XXD line feel a little different than the old XT) then I'd stay Canon. If not, then change. It's that simple. But the thing is, no one here can tell someone else which choice is right for them because it's like buying shoes, or a car, we all want different things and are comfortable with a different fit. We can make suggestions based on specs and what features a camera has, but only the person who is going to use the camera will know if it's the right camera for them.

I doubt you will see a noticable difference in the switch you're talking about. Additionally, the drawbacks and hassles of said switch probably outweigh the benefits.

I agree you need some faster glass in your lineup.

the 60D certainly seems to be worth the extra $200 (even if I might never know what to do with all the buttons.)
Something to seriously consider. There's a lot to be said for ease and enjoyment of use unless you're willing to put in the leg work to learning to use all the buttons.

Good luck.

There's quite a difference between "brand-loyalty" and sticking with a brand. What you are describing is a logical, financial decision based on current investment in equipment...a logical and sane thought process. Straight brand-loyalty is often much more misguided, and based on passionate, illogical reasons. Choosing Canon for you isn't about some sense that they are better than other brands, or that other brand shooters are ignorant...you already know other brands make fine cameras too. In fact, you may even be a bit too generous in feeling perhaps that some other brands might be better and you're missing out. Don't worry about it - all of the brands are basically equals - so close in performance and capability that 99 out of 100 people could never pick out a photo taken by one brand of camera. Sure, one day camera A ranks higher than camera B in some particular performance spec...the slight increase in low light performance looks big on a graph, but in the real world is miniscule, and the lens, the exposure, and the photographer will all be much bigger influences on the shot.

I'd advise you to stick with Canon based on very logical, reasonable information - you have a fairly significant investment of decent lenses and accessories, and unless you have a very specific issue with the camera design or functionality that makes it undesirable, another camera has to be not only better, but better enough to justify the expense of selling off all of your lenses and equipment and rebuilding them with another brand. I don't think that any other camera is that much better than the newer offerings from Canon...in fact, I don't see a single brand standing clear head-and-shoulders above the others - they are all so close overall, and in any given year one brand slightly leapfrogs another by some almost immeasurable statistic...trying to chase the best camera would have you switching between 4 or 5 brands every 6 months to get a .5% improvement in something!

Just an FYI I am currently on the fence about switching to a Nikon system...not necessarily because its the "better" camera...just because I've had some extremely frustrating issues with Canon lately and they've pushed me to the brink. Selling lenses isn't all that tough online...but its not for everyone.

From seriously looking at both brands I still think Canon's glass options can't be beat. Sure there are some Nikon lenses that match or best it on a lens by lens comparison but Canon has so many options its really quite fantastic.

Nikon does generally have the body lead. However, that doesn't mean they have the lead always on ergonomics. There are some silly things(IMO) with the D7000 body that slow down its performance.

do what you feel is right.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful insights. You've certainly validated my initial thought that I should stick with Canon. I guess I was giving a little too much weight to one particular side-by-side comparison. They rated, based on something called a DxOMark benchmark, the overall picture quality of the Canon sensor as a 66, and the Nikon as an 80. I'm now assuming that at my level, such a distinction will have a negligable impact on the end results.

I've decided to go with the Canon EOS 60D, which I know I'll be very happy with. I'll stop on my way home from work tonight to see how it feels in my hands before purchasing.

I've purchased several DSLR how-to books over the course of the past few years. Perhaps for this new camera, I'll take the next step and look into a photography class.

Thanks again!

Thank you everyone for the wonderful insights. You've certainly validated my initial thought that I should stick with Canon. I guess I was giving a little too much weight to one particular side-by-side comparison. They rated, based on something called a DxOMark benchmark, the overall picture quality of the Canon sensor as a 66, and the Nikon as an 80. I'm now assuming that at my level, such a distinction will have a negligable impact on the end results.

I've decided to go with the Canon EOS 60D, which I know I'll be very happy with. I'll stop on my way home from work tonight to see how it feels in my hands before purchasing.

I've purchased several DSLR how-to books over the course of the past few years. Perhaps for this new camera, I'll take the next step and look into a photography class.

Thanks again!

Snapsort is interesting....it tries really hard but really falls flat with cameras. If you trusted snapsort only you might consider the D5100 a better DSLR than the Canon 7D. Go try them out, they are completely different beasts. The image quality of the two high ISO wise is pretty darn similar. Go to dpreview and compare. At most there might be a one stop improvement that could be argued. The 7D resolves a bit more detail and has better ergonomics/buttons.

Try them out in the store. Handling is a lot of a DSLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter