Canoing at the Fort?"

rudetreehill

Mouseketeer
Hey, kids and kiddettes!

Planning my first trip to the Fort (I'll admit it, I'm a "resort snob" who usually considers the Wilderness Lodge to be as close to "roughin' it" as I wanna come) this March. Three cabins (comin' with 8 adults and three kids, heaven help me).

I've often said I'd love to do a trip to Disney during which I skipped theparks in favor of just, you know, relaxing, hanging out for a week. This will probably be the closest I come. We have park hopper passes, but I think the kids (2, 4 and 6) will LOVE the Fort and all the activities there.

Man, I'm rambling! "Get onto the question, Richard!"

Okay, so one of the people in my party used to stay at FW all the time when he was younger. (I didn't even know Disney was around that long.) Anyway, he seems to remember that he used to rent a canoe and go paddling around. (The very thought... oh, kids, if you knew him, you'd be laughing VERY hard right now. Let's just say he's more Victoria & Albert's than Hoop De Doo)

So the question (and yes, there is one, but come on... you're at least being entertained for the price of admission, right?): Can one still rent a canoe at FW? Having never been... are there waterways in which to paddle?

As always, have a good one and thanks in advance...

Richard

Ah, you may just find that the Fort ruins you for all other resorts. ;)

You can indeed rent canoes and paddle around the various canals and waterways. From the AllEars site...
Where do I rent bikes, golf carts, tennis equipment, etc.?

The Bike Barn (open 8 a.m.-6 p.m.) is located behind the Meadow Trading Post and rents bicycles, canoes, pedal boats, kayaks, and equipment for fishing and tennis. Life vests (provided) must be worn by all guests while in the boats. Gear for shuffleboard is complimentary to guests with valid FW resort IDs. The phone number is (407) 824-2742. Note: Surrey bikes may be rented at the Fort Wilderness marina.

Tons more info on the Fort and activities, as well as links to photos can be found HERE

There's also a sticky on this forum with loads of good info HERE

Hope you have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

I have never rented a canoe here but they are available. I have seen people paddleing around the 300 loop. I would contact the bike barn for info 407-824-2742

I'll admit it: I wasn't stoked about Fort Wilderness at first (mainly because we were originally supposed to stay in a two-story villa at Bay Lake Tower). But now, I thinkt his might be ideal. I think the kids are gonna have SUCH a good time!

If you don't have a good time " shame on you". The Fort is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!An adventure in itself.

Richard,

yes, you can rent a canoe at the Bike Barn across the pond from the Meadow Trading Post along with paddles, life jackets, etc. We usually head right leaving the Barn and loop through the canals of the Fort in a circle (HINT: keep turning right) and come in by the 1500 loop, tennis courts, and swimming pool back to the Barn. It takes maybe 30-45 minutes tops. The first 15 minutes is through campsites and trailers but once you pass near the dog park then you're a little more in the open. Check the map you are given of the Fort when you check in; it is more or less cartographically correct.

Enjoy it! I would also suggest renting a pontoon boat for your group (seats 10 so you may need to do this while someone else is off doing something else) and enjoy crusing around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon (they offer an AAA discount of 10% if you have your AAA card).

Bama ED

I think the kids are gonna have SUCH a good time!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Be sure to get a schedule of all the activities when you check in (a few times we haven't automatically gotten one) and just spend time exploring - barn/ponies, beach, playgrounds, campfire, movies, pool, trails... The Fort has a TON to offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter