Cannot go to DW :(

rmvite

Earning My Ears
First of all, I'm asking you all please do not Blast me like they did on the Weight Watcher boards when I tell you what happened.
I tried to get money out of my Retirement Fund to help me & my family come to DW. The request for withdrawl had to be approved by a committee. They denied my request. I realize this is not the most prudent use of retirement funds but we really wanted to go. We do have $1,000 right now. We could probably raise $1500 by Sept. 1. Any suggestions. We live in St. Louis and were really wanting to fly. My mother (73) was going to come & I don't think she could take 2 day car ride. I guess the trip is out this year.:(

Thanks,
Becky

I am not going to Blast you, but I do understand why the committee would not give you the retirement funds. Generally early withdrawals are due to hardship and in reality, while it may feel like hardship, not going to Disney is not a hardship.

My suggestion, would be to start saving for a future trip that you could go on without hitting up things like your savings or retirement fund.

You could do things like EBAY and put all the money into a special "Disney" account. It might take a while, but I think that you know that you need to come up with the money first and then take the vacation.

Please understand something I've learned in my days on these boards...

If you give anonymous people personal information, you're putting a major target on your head!

In other words, expect it if you choose to give it.

I agree with trying ebay. I started three weeks ago and just this weeks profits have paid for my next trip!

It's not easy money, it does take some work, but it's worked for me and many others. BTW, I learned everything I needed to know on the Budget Board's thread.

Becky,

It may just be me, but I'm reading you to say you want to go with just yourself and your mother, and you'll have about $1,500 to spend if you work at it. Right?

If so, I think you could have a dandy trip. A WDW trip doesn't have to be a 8 day/7 night, in the parks all day, 3 priority seating's per event. Trust me, where there's a will, there's a way. If the above info is true, I'll be glad to write you up what I'd do. I've done trips that cost $3k+ for my wife and me. I've also done several that stayed within that $1,500 range. And September is THE Month to do so....

And I'm going to blast you for looking at your retirement fund. But I'll do it nicely :)

Don't do that! Thank you!

Pat

Thanks, Pat

There still crucifying me (they're being pretty rude) on the Weight Watchers board.

This whole thing started when my uncle said he had free tickets to DW. He's told us for several years that he gets them every year and this year we took him up on it.

He worked for Anheuser Busch and turns out the tickets are really for Sea World.

Of course I find out AFTER we tell our 6 year old daughter we are going to DW. Now I probably wil have to UN tell her.

If we would go it would be me, husband, dd, and mother (73).

Any Suggestions? or wait till next year?

Thank You,
Becky

First off, get off the WW board. People that are supposed to help each other should know better than to mess with each other. Personally, I never tell anyone where my money is coming from. Even here, I'll only say what I have to spend, not where I got it. It's your money!

With four, it starts to get more difficult. The main problem in staying under 1500$ now would be the airfair, which I could find as low as $182. But with fees, that's half your budget right there. Ouch. It's a shame those tickets aren't for Disney. SW is nice, but I don't know if you can spend a week there.

Knowing there's four of you and you have to fly, I have to sadly say 1500 is just not going to be enough. I'd say to do a "budget trip" you'd need at least $2500. I'm figuring $1600 for tickets and air alone. When I had that down to $800 (for just two of you), 1500 gets doable, even comfortable. In fact, the more I crunch the numbers, I don't know if I'd try it without $3,000.

Sorry. I didn't mean to raise false hope. I'm a firm believer that just "being there" is enough, but you have to get there first. You're probably better holding off a year and banking as much as you can.

Some "save money" tricks. I've never tried the EBAY thing, but many swear by it. I've also heard of garage sales being mircles (in both cases, one man's junk is another man's treasure). Amy and I have good years and bad years, financially, as I'm self-employed. So we always try to save for a budget trip, then go whole-hog if the cash is flowing.

Our biggest trick (and this may help you explain to your daughter how much such a trip costs, get her excited, and get her involved): We start looking at things we're doing and make "Disney alternatives." Amy will say "let's go to the Olive Garden." I'll say ok, that's fifty bucks. What were you going to have? I'll go to the grocery store, buy ten bucks worth of ingredients, a seven dollar bottle of wine, and then we'll take the $23 and put it in a jar (so to speak, it all ends up in the bank because interest payments are a beautiful thing). It's amazing what you buy that you don't need -- and how little you miss it -- when you convert it into Disney dollars.

Sorry Becky. I hate not being able to go (just missed a trip myself). But the good news, so they tell me, is that Disney will be there, when you're ready! Keep focusing on September, just make it September 2004. The parks are uncrowded, the deals are abundant, and the weather is still warm (a plus for me, a minus for others). For example, the Marriott DTD often has a fall special for $20 a night. It's an old hotel, but safe, clean, and a great location.

Save, save, save! And get away from people that are rude to you.
Pat

Hi Becky!

As time passes, I'm betting you'll be glad you didn't take out retirement money---after all, you'll want to do WDW when you're retired, too!!! LOL!!!

I do have a possible alternative for you to keep the budget lower: What if you and grandma fly, and Dad and 6 yo drive (if she'll do it alone, just let Grandma fly!). That's only half the airfare cost, and you'll have your own car in Florida and won't need to rent one.

Good luck, this year or next, whenever it end up being!

Patti

I am still voting with waiting. You are going to be cutting it SO close on funds that even if you went, it would be a very stressful trip if you were constantly worried about if you had enough money. Plus tickets for 4 people to Disney for a week can easliy eat up half of the money you think you might have.

Hi Becky,

Though I agree with the retirement committee, I am not going to blast you. It is your money and you should spend it how you choose. It's none of anyones business.

Most people on the forums are awesome, but a few of the posters are rude and obnoxious.

I also live in the St. Louis area (Illinois side) and we drive to WDW. It isn't as bad as it sounds. We just returned last week and my MIL, who is 66, came with us. She had no problem making the trip. We are on the road no later than 4 a.m. and arrive that night in Orlando between 8 and 9. You can do it in 1 day easily.

IMO, plan the trip for next summer and start saving now. That way you won't have to be on a super strict budget while you are there and you will likely enjoy yourself much more.

Good luck.

Teresa

The grandma flying down and the rest driving is a good idea...also any chance one of you is military? You can get some savings there. A part of me too leans towards waiting but I find a lot of times if you do that something always comes up. You may inadvertenly spend the money or God forbid your mom could get sick and then you could miss out on the trip with her.
I hope that didn't seem morbid, but it's a fact when our parents get older......
Good luck on your decision, I'm sure you'll figure out a way...
Oh.....are you getting a rebate from the government for your child? There's another $400. if so!

We were in major financial trouble. We had to chose whether to have Electricity or eat that month. It was bad!! But I found this board and planned and replanned a trip to WDW for 5 years!! Before we found the money to go to WDW. I have some tips for you.

How to get started Planning a WDW Vacation!!

Go to the library and borrow a WDW guide book so you can start deciding Now what are the things that are "must do's" and "must see's." and decide the length of your trip.

Then decide on the tickets you will need, here.
http://www.mousesavers.com/tickets.htm

To keep an EYE on All the discounts for on-site and off-site resorts check here often and sign up for the MouseSavers.com newsletter to get all the best news.
http://www.mousesavers.com/wdw.html

For Air fares sign up at all the Airline Web sites that fly out of your airport that fly to Orlando or MCO in airline speak. Then Check Expedia,Travelocity for airline deals. Also check out the Transporation Board for air,rental car/towncar deals.
http://www.disboards.com/

Start a WDW change jar to save for your trip.[there are many tips on the Budget and Tips board!!]

For your child this is a great site to print color pages and play sets and much more to keep a child busy!
http://disney.go.com/magicartist/index_main.html

Also you can decide where you will want to eat and start making plans to make your food budget and check the Priority Seatings Calculator to know when you can make PS's some are as far out as 730 Days.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/pscalc/dispscalc.html

Also to help decide where to eat you can find menu's at Deb's wdw site,this works 2 ways to see where to eat what,and how much it costs, to finalize the food budget.
http://www.wdwig.com/menu/menu.htm

To keep all this info in one place,here is a computer, Disney Vacation Planner. It will print each day on a seperate sheet. Also check the pull down menu's at the top for loads of info!!
http://www.intercot.com/planner/default.asp.

Well,this should get you started on a thousand more Questions!! So,don't be shy! Ask away!! The kind Vetern members here will share what they know! So,check back often!! And check out the Budget board for more idea's!!

tink2dw

Originally posted by rmvite
First of all, I'm asking you all please do not Blast me like they did on the Weight Watcher boards when I tell you what happened.
I tried to get money out of my Retirement Fund to help me & my family come to DW. The request for withdrawl had to be approved by a committee. They denied my request. I realize this is not the most prudent use of retirement funds but we really wanted to go. We do have $1,000 right now. We could probably raise $1500 by Sept. 1. Any suggestions. We live in St. Louis and were really wanting to fly. My mother (73) was going to come & I don't think she could take 2 day car ride. I guess the trip is out this year.:(

Thanks,
Becky

Becky,

Like Pat said GET OFF THE WW BOARD! What the heck do these people say to you on the weeks you gain...OUCH. (I'm a lifetime member of just about any weight program) So I know how some can be. That being said....the real issue.

I wouldn't blast you for using some retirement! It's YOUR money! You only live once. It's not like your talking about 10 grand here. Now you know your mother better than anyone on here weither she can make the drive. Me...myself...we're having this dilema right now with me and I'm 35. I have Fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis and a bunch of other illnesses. It's hard doing a driving trip if your older or have an illness. Like I said only you know how she'd feel. As for Grandma (73)......I don't think phorsenuf is making a morbid observation. We all grow old...it's the process of life. My mother died when she was 46...I was 26. I didn't make my first trip to Disney until I was 32. Believe me...If it wasn't for my two littleones, all I would have thought about was my mom didn't make it to Disney. Now some may think I'm foolish, but I know my mom and Disney would have been heaven on earth for her.

How long are you wanting to stay? Have you thought about the fairytale package at the value resort? On WWW.DISNEYWORLD.COM I hashed some prices for you for Sept 2-9...with insurance it woul be 1576.00 W/O-1472.00. That's for hotel on property in value and length of stay passes. So that leaves you with Airfare and food. The thought of flying your mom only would be an option. On Southwest with a promotion deal round trip for all 4 of you on your dates would be 782.00 That a total of 2298.00 with insurance. You said you could come up with about 2500.00. Buckle down a little tighter and remember you won't be buying grocries the week your gone on vacation...that's money that can go for food on the trip. Get and orlando guide book COUPONS COUPONS COUPONS...eat off site some. Eat breakfast in your room. Take snack food in your park bag...fruit, granola bars,gum & candy. Drink water. I'm not saying don't eat at Disney...that would be rather hard not to....just cut here and there to do the dis meals you really want. Buy souvenirs at the Disney store before your go ...their having a 50%-75% sale and at mine they put new stuff out every day. There is a way if you want to go that bad. It's just up to you, the reasearch you're willing do to make it happen.

Don't forget that EBAY idea. You be suprised how it can add up.

http://www.mousesavers.com/fairytale.html

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/packages/fairytale2003.htm

They've extended the discount of the fairytale package until 11/20/03. You book 4 days and get 3 free! You have to book by the last week in June. Can't remember the exact date right now. That length includes length of stay unlimited hopper passes for all 4 of you. Also you don't pay for the whole thing up front...[ut a deposit down...thenI beleiev the balance of the package has to be paid 45 day before checkin.

Also...by chance I always throw this in..Interline is a benefit of hughe disounts for airline employees..it also works for FEDEX employees if either of you work there. I know that one's probably a long shot, but I mentioned this to a lady going to disney at the doctors office....her husband works for FEDEX and she will now save a bundle.

And yes we do want to go to Disney when we retire...I think that's the only time DH and I will ever be ALONE there, but I'd rather have one trip with my whole family then just DH and I when we're old.

You keep searching these board. There are all kinds of discount answers to our problems here.

Heck in Dec 2001 I got my hotel off priceline at a rate of 13.00 a night (Ramada)....Not the best hotel, but not the worst. It was clean. Also Dec is a great time to go. The heat won't kill ya and the 1st week crowds are low. If you do decide to go in Sept and stay on property make sure you check in on a value season date. Even if it the last day for value season you get that rate for your whole trip.

Harship withdrawals are limited to specific circumstances (loss of home for example). Vacation doesn't qualify.

Loans usually don't require any reason. You might be able to borrow 50% of your account balance (50,000 max) for any reason. Have to pay it back over 5 years.
Personally I don't suggest doing it but it is something to look at.

Hey Becky one more thought. Grandma is a senior....that could mean senior rates for an off site hotels....Ok now you know...I'm usually very cheap. This year will be my first big splurge at the beach club...there again it's only because DH gets us 50% off rack.

Tammy

This totally depends on how you get paid.
My husband and I get paid on off weeks meaning he gets paid one week, I get paid the next week. So looking at the calender I realized that we get an "extra" pay check in July and October. It really is an "extra" pay check because our bills are always paid with 4 pay checks a month. I am both of these pay checks away for our trip in December.
Something else to look at for tickets is where you work. I work for a company that gets discount tickets.

And let me start off by saying that I am EXTREMELY angry that people would "blast" you for choosing to spend YOUR money however you see fit!! Want to hear something sad? My Dad saved money like crazy all his life - finally retired - was just ready to start traveling with my Mom - was diagnosed with cancer - and dead 3 months later.. My Mom has the money - but money doesn't make memories..

Second example.. My own husband was offered an early retirement.. For many years he worked two and three jobs - and never took ONE unscheduled (ie vacation) day off of work in 38 years.. NEVER.. He took the early retirement and before the WEEK was out, he was diagnosed with cancer - as well as numerous other serious health problems.. He's terminal now - on oxygen 24/7 - and due to many unfortunate circumstances (not to mention the stock market) all of his retirement is GONE.. But you know what? I don't really care.. He's still here and that's all that really matters.. When he's "gone" I'll just do what I have to do to fend for myself.. For all I know, I could unexpectedly die BEFORE him.. Yes - it's good to have something put aside (and hopefully nothing will come along that will wipe it out for you like it did with us) BUT the bottom line is it's YOUR money - YOUR decision - and NO ONE ELSES BUSINESS.. You just have NO idea how angry that makes me.. :mad:

But - now that I'm done ranting, let's talk about your trip.. Right now I'm planning on taking my grown DD and my granddaughter to WDW in December for two weeks (we'll also be doing US/IOA and Sea World).. I will be paying for EVERYTHING.. Now you're probably wondering HOW after I just told you our circumstances, huh?

EBAY !!!!!!!! I'm the one that started that HUGE thread on the budget board and believe me, if I didn't have the money IN MY HANDS I would NEVER believe it was possible!! This is the ONLY way I can come up with the money but I am determined enough that it is going to happen!! I already have a large chunk towards the trip (strictly from eBay money) and I have NO doubts that I'll have the rest in time.. I really, really want YOU to be able to take this trip too - so won't you come over to the thread so we can help you find money you didn't even know you had by selling things on eBay?

Tell me again exactly how much you have now - how many of you are going - how long you want to stay - and if you are willing to stay off-site and cut some corners here and there and I will do everything I can to help you figure it out..

Life is short - sometimes MUCH shorter than any of us could ever imagine - so if it's only a matter of coming up with another $1000 or so I'd love to be able to help you figure out how to do it..

Just say the word...........;)

Originally posted by C.Ann
And let me start off by saying that I am EXTREMELY angry that people would "blast" you for choosing to spend YOUR money however you see fit!! Want to hear something sad? My Dad saved money like crazy all his life - finally retired - was just ready to start traveling with my Mom - was diagnosed with cancer - and dead 3 months later.. My Mom has the money - but money doesn't make memories..

Second example.. My own husband was offered an early retirement.. For many years he worked two and three jobs - and never took ONE unscheduled (ie vacation) day off of work in 38 years.. NEVER.. He took the early retirement and before the WEEK was out, he was diagnosed with cancer - as well as numerous other serious health problems.. He's terminal now - on oxygen 24/7 - and due to many unfortunate circumstances (not to mention the stock market) all of his retirement is GONE.. But you know what? I don't really care.. He's still here and that's all that really matters.. When he's "gone" I'll just do what I have to do to fend for myself.. For all I know, I could unexpectedly die BEFORE him.. Yes - it's good to have something put aside (and hopefully nothing will come along that will wipe it out for you like it did with us) BUT the bottom line is it's YOUR money - YOUR decision - and NO ONE ELSES BUSINESS.. You just have NO idea how angry that makes me.. :mad:

But - now that I'm done ranting, let's talk about your trip.. Right now I'm planning on taking my grown DD and my granddaughter to WDW in December for two weeks (we'll also be doing US/IOA and Sea World).. I will be paying for EVERYTHING.. Now you're probably wondering HOW after I just told you our circumstances, huh?

EBAY !!!!!!!! I'm the one that started that HUGE thread on the budget board and believe me, if I didn't have the money IN MY HANDS I would NEVER believe it was possible!! This is the ONLY way I can come up with the money but I am determined enough that it is going to happen!! I already have a large chunk towards the trip (strictly from eBay money) and I have NO doubts that I'll have the rest in time.. I really, really want YOU to be able to take this trip too - so won't you come over to the thread so we can help you find money you didn't even know you had by selling things on eBay?

Tell me again exactly how much you have now - how many of you are going - how long you want to stay - and if you are willing to stay off-site and cut some corners here and there and I will do everything I can to help you figure it out..

Life is short - sometimes MUCH shorter than any of us could ever imagine - so if it's only a matter of coming up with another $1000 or so I'd love to be able to help you figure out how to do it..

Just say the word...........;)

I like your style....that's what I'm talking about. Enjoying life....WITH FAMILY. So many time we put off and put off until it's too late. You never know what the next day brings. I agree in saving for the future, but life's too short not to enjoy ALL of it an especially with the ones we love.

Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter