Canadians...anything we should know about?

Summerl30

Mouseketeer
I just found out last night that as a Canadian, we can't check in at the airport, even though we are taking the transfers.

Anything else we should know about before our online checkin?

We are staying in the hotel in the airport.

Anything we should know about disembarkment?

we don't want to be blind-sided on vacation.

Just a different line for customs- it actually often moves faster than the US passenger line. I can't think of anything else that was different. Oh... Except for the fact that it was -40 back home while we were cruising.... THAT was certainly a huge difference :)

Just a different line for customs- it actually often moves faster than the US passenger line. I can't think of anything else that was different. Oh... Except for the fact that it was -40 back home while we were cruising.... THAT was certainly a huge difference :)

The best piece of advice I received on the boards was to look for the Non US sign when checking in at the Port. There was no one in this line and we received boarding number 3. :thumbsup2

Here's something you should know....I think Canada is an absolutely beautiful country!!!!!

I read somewhere today that Canadians are being offered 25% Canadian resident rate...don't remember where I saw it tho :( But it was restricted...I think out of Miami and for Bahama cruises? Could be wrong tho...

Ok, so this is news to me that we can't check in at the airport...I had confirmed that we could with our DCL TA a week or so ago...:( Maybe I didn't make it clear to her what I was asking...

So, we do all the check-in at the Port, and there is a non-US check in line there?? And keep our fingers crossed that our boarding number isn't super high:confused3?
Thanks for any clarity that can be provided!!

Ok, so this is news to me that we can't check in at the airport...I had confirmed that we could with our DCL TA a week or so ago...:( Maybe I didn't make it clear to her what I was asking...

So, we do all the check-in at the Port, and there is a non-US check in line there?? And keep our fingers crossed that our boarding number isn't super high:confused3?
Thanks for any clarity that can be provided!!

Yes, check in at the port. There will be a Non-U.S. line. There are usually far fewer people in that line, so it moves a lot faster! If in doubt as to the location of the line, just ask one of the CMs in the check-in area of the port building. There are a number 'directing traffic' for the lines.

If this is your first DCL cruise, be prepared to have your ship's i.d. photo taken by the CM who checks you in. (You may want to comb your hair before the photo)!

In years past, non US couldn't check in at the welcome center at MCO. However, this spring, there was a "non-US" line and counter designated there. Since I didn't use it, I can't tell you whether it was a full check in or just a document review, but it looked like full check in.

SO, my thinking is that you CAN check in at the Welcome center, but this could be wrong.

If you can't, there is a "non US" line at the terminal which usually has no people in it!

At disembarkation, there is a separate "Non-US" line which moves MUCH faster than the US line. The only other thing I know is that international flights can't do the on board check in.

kpaulson said:
I read somewhere today that Canadians are being offered 25% Canadian resident rate...don't remember where I saw it tho :( But it was restricted...I think out of Miami and for Bahama cruises? Could be wrong tho...

It's the Miami sailings from Jan 5 to Feb 2 I believe!

oh I wish! That is only for cruises leaving from Miami in January I believe! It was offered after we bought our flights. :(

In years past, non US couldn't check in at the welcome center at MCO. However, this spring, there was a "non-US" line and counter designated there. Since I didn't use it, I can't tell you whether it was a full check in or just a document review, but it looked like full check in.

SO, my thinking is that you CAN check in at the Welcome center, but this could be wrong.

If you can't, there is a "non US" line at the terminal which usually has no people in it!

At disembarkation, there is a separate "Non-US" line which moves MUCH faster than the US line. The only other thing I know is that international flights can't do the on board check in.
Yeah, we are flying in and out of Buffalo. Its only just over an hour from my house. :) And the flights are over half the price (Its takes an hour to drive to the TOronto airport anyway...may as well cross the boarder!) :cool1:

on our Royal cruise, that's what they told us and we decided we would never fly out of an "international" airport after a cruise again. The airport was a disaster that time.

Oh, I hope this is true! Hopefully someone can confirm this soon! :)

Yeah, we are going in January. We are fully expecting that. That won't be fun. Hopefully the memories of the trip will keep us warm!

and i hope that info is right too, but at least I know not to expect it to be right, just HOPE! I'm ok with that. I would have been a little upset to find that out at the airport when I got there.

My travel agent just did a last minute cruise in September. Because it was fairly last minute, she got a late port arrival time when she did on-line check-in. Even though they got an early bus from MCO, they ended up just sitting around at the port waiting for ages before they could board since her boarding number was tied to her original port arrival time (and she didn't benefit from taking DCL transport), so I don't think anything has changed on that front. She's a DCL veteran, so I trust her completely.

What I took from this is that I do need to make sure we do our on-line check in early to get a good port arrival time, even though we too are staying at MCO Hyatt and planning on taking DCL transport. Good to hear the non-US lines are shorter though -that helps!

If anyone is interested, I called today and they said that All Non-US citizens must check in at the port. But if your final destination is domestic (we are flying in and out of a US airport), then you can use the onboard airline check-in.

True you must check in at port. We are Canadian and have had to do this both times. However it has never affected the time we board the boat that has always stayed true to our port arrival time. Ie on our last cruise we were #6 and were on the ship before 12. The international line is really short and if you do all the online registration for any kids you might be traveling with that line is quick too

This is totally unrelated to checking in, but one thing we always prepare for is that there's no Gravol in the US! We tried to find some one time on a trip to California and the pharmacist looked at me like I had two heads and said "gravel?" I don't know how you can go on a cruise without that lovely medicine that stops the kid's nausea AND puts them right to sleep! And no, stemitol is no substitute. So if you use Gravol for motion sickness for your kids you'll need to bring your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter