Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - update 28/06 - Coffee? It's on me!

Guess who showed up on the Disboards out of the blue? Sorry, not Nebo. Would be nice though. At least Smidgy still posts on their behalf.

Guess again. Well I'm sure you've already noticed I posted the link to her NEW TR right below. She wanted me to round up the troops. See you all there.

Laura74 NEW TR.

I posted this over on our (Lady H and myself) TR as well.

I went to check it out. Nice start on the trip report. I'm trying very hard not to sound like Ponzie is not entertaining enough over here. This is only a pre-trip report at this point....

Guess who showed up on the Disboards out of the blue?
Laura74 NEW TR.

I'll be heading over right after this.

I went to check it out. Nice start on the trip report. I'm trying very hard not to sound like Ponzie is not entertaining enough over here. This is only a pre-trip report at this point....

Ah. You're right.
So far this PTR is dull, dull, dull.
But, I kinda figured it would be...
I've got nothing to say yet! I do believe you were all warned!

So... I'm beat.
I posted over on Laura's TR just to say hi.
But I didn't read a thing.

It's been a tad busy.
Three straight nights of recitals of which I volunteered for all of them.
If it wasn't for having to post on my contest thread, I wouldn't be here at all tonight.

No rest for the wicked....
So really no rest for me!

But fear not.
Update coming this weekend... probably Sunday night.

Hey Ponz! Just found your latest and had to join in!

I'm all caught up, but it's way too late for me to remember all that I wanted to comment on.

I do remember that I need to tell you what an outstanding young woman you and Ruby are raising. And yes, I cried too.

Hi Ponzi! Wow! I've been mostly absent for awhile, I missed the start of this one, and here I come back to read about what a beautiful girl Elle is, on the inside and the outside! I'm a little misty (okay a lot) right now. Going back for Chapter 2. I know you are so proud - with all the reason to be! :thumbsup2

ETA: Nice digs for your conference! Sorry about your back. I hope your physio can continue to help.

Have a great adult trip with Ruby! As your children grow up, you find yourself surprised that you still know how to have fun without them! :goodvibes:

This trip report is already seven pages long and you haven't actually gone on the trip yet? I thought you disliked pre-trip reports? That said, only you can make a PTR so interesting.

I loved Elle's story but I have to keep my emotions in check because I'm currently getting a pedicure and I'm convinced the manicurists talk about us in Vietnamese. She sounds like a very special young lady. No wonder you feel comfortable leaving her in charge for a few days.

Also enjoyed your European vacation report even if it made me exhausted just reading it. No wonder your back hurts! My husband has back issues and after he started to go to the gym more often he hasn't had issues like he used to. He also uses those tens things that zap your back. Have you tried those?

Looking forward to more...like an actual trip maybe...

Hey Ponz! Just found your latest and had to join in!

I'm all caught up, but it's way too late for me to remember all that I wanted to comment on.

Hi Shanelopi! Glad you're here.
Although I must admit to being a tad concerned that you just caught up and already forgot everything.

Then again, it wasn't overly memorable in the first place...

I do remember that I need to tell you what an outstanding young woman you and Ruby are raising. And yes, I cried too.

Geez. I'm going to drive everyone away in droves if this keeps up!

From now on! No sentimental stuff!

(but thanks. we think she's outstanding too.
but eventually, we told her she didn't have to anymore and could come inside.)

Hi Ponzi! Wow! I've been mostly absent for awhile, I missed the start of this one, and here I come back to read about what a beautiful girl Elle is, on the inside and the outside! I'm a little misty (okay a lot) right now. Going back for Chapter 2. I know you are so proud - with all the reason to be! :thumbsup2

Hi Tammie! Thanks for joining in!
Yes, I'm absolutely proud of Chapter 2.

What?

Oh, alright. Yes, we're both very proud of our daughters.
But then again, we might be a little biased.

ETA: Nice digs for your conference! Sorry about your back. I hope your physio can continue to help.

It's really helped. Feeling way, way better now.

You are the first person in twenty plus years that's actually called that place "nice".
I've heard bizarre, maze-like, horrible, pain in the you know what, H-E-double hockey sticks... but "nice" is a first.

Have a great adult trip with Ruby! As your children grow up, you find yourself surprised that you still know how to have fun without them! :goodvibes:

So looking forward to it.
It's too bad that Ruby actually has to work during the day, but...
Beats staying home!

This trip report is already seven pages long and you haven't actually gone on the trip yet? I thought you disliked pre-trip reports? That said, only you can make a PTR so interesting.

Laura! Thanks for stopping by!
Interesting? Is that a polite way of saying "similar to watching paint dry"?

And yes, I'm not a huge fan of PTRs... but they railroaded me into it!
They said mean things to me and threatened me with all sorts of unspeakable things!

unspeakable...

I loved Elle's story but I have to keep my emotions in check because I'm currently getting a pedicure and I'm convinced the manicurists talk about us in Vietnamese. She sounds like a very special young lady.

I wouldn't know. I haven't met your Vietnamese pedicurist.

No wonder you feel comfortable leaving her in charge for a few days.

Well, I figure if she can do a good pedicure, she can be in charge for a bit, too.

Are we talking about the same thing here?

Yes?

Thought so.

Also enjoyed your European vacation report even if it made me exhausted just reading it.

Glad you liked it, but sorry it wore you out.

Too much verbiage?

No wonder your back hurts!

Yup. Hunched over a keyboard for hours will do that to you.

My husband has back issues

So does my Dad!
He's got National Geographics that go back decades!

I don't know why he keeps all those back issues, it's not like he ever re-reads them.

and after he started to go to the gym more often he hasn't had issues like he used to.

Subscription ran out, huh?

Kidding aside, my physiotherapist is working on giving me exercises to strengthen my core.
I'm positive that it will help, too.

He also uses those tens things that zap your back. Have you tried those?

Yup. My physiotherapist has been zapping me.
Not last time, though. I'm hoping that means it's because I'm doing better.

Looking forward to more...like an actual trip maybe...

Oh, demands, demands, demands...
What ever happened to "Hello pkondz. How are you?"

NOOOOO.... It's just "Entertain me!"

Well, I'm leaving (on a jetplane) tomorrow. Happy?

Make that 8 pages long!

Oh, great!
Ruined! It's all ruined!
Lucky number seven, no more!

Oh, the ignominy!

It's all your fault that the report hit 8 pages! :lmao::cool1:

Ya got that right!

Wow. I'm in a mood tonight, aren't I?

The details

Whine, whine, whine.
Ya wanna have some cheese with that whine?
Hunh? Do ya?

"Write a TR." They said.
"Oh, I don't know." I replied.
"DO IT!" They cried.
"Fine." I acquiesced.
"And a PTR too!" They demanded.
"Oh, come on now. Don't you think..." I started.
"DO IT!" They commanded.

Hey! Not bad! I've managed to completely alienate and anger my entire group of readers in only ten lines!

cool.

So what exactly am I supposed to do with this PTR thing?
I don't do PTRs!
I haven't done anything to write about yet!!!

"Details! We want details!"

Okay, I got it.
You basically want me to tell you the entire story in advance of it actually happening, right?

Admit it.
You're the type of people who skip to the end of a whodunit before you read it.
Who skip to the last chapter of the DVD first.

Who read.... <gasp> spoiler threads!

Am I right?
I'm right, right?
Right.

So.
Without furthering a dolt, I give you.... (please see title of this update)
(At first I wrote "please see title of update", then thought...
"These are people who are insisting on skipping ahead... better tell 'em this update.)

Geez. I typed all that instead of just typing "the detail".

And now I just typed that, too.

I'm shutting up now.

Day 1. June 30th.
Honest. I don't know how the day starts.
I figure it's one of three possibilities.
1. We go pick up Dee at her house.
(Boo! It's going in the exact opposite direction of where I wanna go!)
2. Dee's folks (either or both) drop her off in the morning. or;
3. Dee sleeps over the night before.

Upshot is, at some point Dee has to get into our car.

After that, it's fairly straight forward.
We drive down to Minneapolis with a probable stop at Albertville Premium Outlets.

Day 2. July 1
It's Canada day! So we'll be out of Canada by then. :confused3
We drive over to Chicago and hopefully, almost certainly meet up with...
Nebo and Smidgy!!
And if we're lucky... Marie too! (mmeb144)

No. I haven't told the girls about this.
Well, I mentioned to Elle that we'd probably meet Nebo...
But Dee doesn't know.
I won't tell her until it's too late for her to back out. (heh, heh, heh)

Day 3. July 2
Free day in Chicago!
Nothing concrete yet, but plans are tentative to do some touristy type stuff.
Maybe a Segway tour, boat cruise, Sears tower (or whatever they're calling it these days.)

Day 4. July 3
This will be a long day.
We'll drive from Chicago to Niagara Falls.
We plan to have a pit stop in Cleveland and hopefully meet up with orangecats2.
(Wouldn't it be easier for you if we meet in Elyria? Let me know after you read this.)
Arrive in Niagara Falls and pass out into a coma.

Days 5-7. July 4-6
It's July 4th! So we'll be out of the States by then. :confused3
It's all about dancing here.
The goyles gotta dance.
I gotta try and hold onto what little sanity I have left. (too late!)
We'll try to throw in a bit of sightseeing, but it's all up in the air, here.

Day 8. July 7
Leave Niagara Falls and head for Toledo to overnight.
But not before spending the afternoon/evening in Cedar Point.
And as was pointed out, I'm hoping my back will let me ride as many coasters as I can 'til I puke.
(Maybe we'll meet o kitty to the power of two here? PM me lady!)

Day 9. July 8
Drive.
That's about it.
We'll drive from Toledo to Madison, WI.
And do... Absolutely. Nothing. ahhhhhh.....

Day 10. July 9
Head back to Minneapolis and let the girls vanquish Mall of America.
I plan on doing very little.
But you never know.
We'll see if I get bored or not.

Day 11. July 10
Back in Winnipeg
Drop off Dee.
Drop off Elle.
Check into rehab.

And that's it!

I have a terrible premonition that this TR will be hopelessly dull.
I hope not... and I hope so.

I mean I hope it's entertaining... but only with good stuff.
I don't want to write a TR that ends quite the same as the last one!

That's it! All done!
Tomorrow I (well, we, Ruby and I), head off to Ottawa.
Hope to have a DISmeet there.
Just waiting on an email or PM to confirm a place and time.
Hope to get it tommorrow??

See y'all if/when I (possibly) post from our Nation's Capital.
(And I'm curious... how many of you (non Canadians) knew that?
Not judging... Just curious.)

That's why I'm here, to have my ignorance exposed. Did not know Ottawa was the capitol of Canada. I'll go hide now. :)

I didn't know, either. Interesting plans for the Niagara trip!:goodvibes Now your PTR is done, so you can share recipes or something. :rotfl2:

Your plans sound fun but exhausting. Reminds me of family vacations when I was a kid and we all, (seven of us, sometimes with a dog), piled into the station wagon and drove every day with a different stop every night. We mostly toured historic sites and indian mounds with the occasional amusement park thrown in. Is it any wonder that we go to Disney every year?

Why no plans in Madison? Need the rest or is that boring? I lived near there when I was a kid. I imagine there must be something interesting to do since it's a university town.

I think this trip is going to be endlessly entertaining. You're going to the Mall of America with 2 teenage girls? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: This thing is going to write itself!

As for your Chicago plans, there are some nice architecture tours/river cruises. I'd skip Navy Pier, it's really just some shopping and restaurants. Did you know that the Museum of Science and Industry has a Walt Disney exhibit right now? We haven't been (going later this summer) but I've heard good things. There's also Shedd Aquarium, the Art Institute (awesome), and the Field Museum to see. I haven't looked into it in a few years, but I know that you can buy a City Pass that gives you entry to the museums and the Hancock Observatory for a discounted price. The museums are all clustered in a "museum campus" and are mostly within walking distance of one another-and they're right on the lake which will give you some beautiful views this time of year. And the girls will likely be happy just walking along Michigan Avenue for some incredible shopping and beautiful architecture. I'm thinking that due to the timing of the trip the Taste of Chicago might be going on as well. It's a really fun way to try lots of Chicago foods, but it can get pricey and crowded.

Now that I've given you enough activity to fill a week in the city, I'll stop :thumbsup2

Here's the City Pass link. It's not inexpensive, but if those are places you're interested in seeing it's a good deal.

Ponzi, Ponzi, Ponzi sigh....where to start?

Yes, of course Ottawa is the capital of Canada.

You're probably not going to WDW next year??? Boo, hiss.
We are most likely going at the end of September. 2015 that is.

As for this summer,,,
I assume you will be taking 80, turnpike in Ohio, from Chicago. It does go right through Elyria. So yes we can meet there. Are you thinking about meeting for lunch? Were you going to try to do anything around here that day?

So are you really going to drive from Niagara Falls, go to Cedar Point, and then drive to Toledo all in one day?

ARE YOU CRAZY?

You will probably say yes,,,but that plan is just insane.
I did tell you that it would take two FULL days at CP to see it all???
And you want to do it in half a day?
And it's $50 per person to get in?

So anyhoo...I might not be able to go anyway. WHAT???
I have a calcified tendon in my right shoulder that just keeps getting worse. Getting dressed can cause pain. I'm not sure roller coasters are in the cards for me this summer. Added to the scoliosis and fibromyalgia I already have and it sounds like a painful no fun day for me.

Also, I don't think I've mentioned...but my DH got laid off at the end of March. He got some severance. He's not looking for a "real" job. He's decided to try freelance illustration (the art thing) from home as his new career. It's going good so far but we're being careful with the budget.

The other news is that I have found a job. However, it is with the school system so I will be off all summer. While that is nice, I won't be making any money. In fact, today is my first day. I'm here right now! Don't worry, I was told I was allowed to use the internet. See, I am a substitute secretary. I haven't gotten a single phone call all day!

So, I definitely want to meet up with you as much as we can or want to. My 15 year old step son will be here when you come through so you'll get to meet him and my DH as well as me. Isn't that exciting!

That's it! All done!
Tomorrow I (well, we, Ruby and I), head off to Ottawa.
Hope to have a DISmeet there.
Just waiting on an email or PM to confirm a place and time.
Hope to get it tommorrow??

See y'all if/when I (possibly) post from our Nation's Capital.
(And I'm curious... how many of you (non Canadians) knew that?
Not judging... Just curious.)

Message sent tomorrow/ er yesterday. DISmeet is on and looking forward to meeting Pkondz and Ruby. I expect that Ruby and my DW aka A+ (a school teacher) will enjoy (?) watching a couple of Disney/DISboard addicts go on about our addictions.

I would be interested in knowing how many of you thought Canada's capital was Toronto. You can play too LisaViolet and any other Canucks!

ZEBRA DOMES ARE ON THE WAY!!!!

I can only hope the dry ice holds the precious cargo safe.

Can't wait to hear about the Pembina pickup and inspection/hopeful consumption.

Aaaaaaannnnnd... We're back!

Hi folks! Just got back last night from Ottawa.
I see people have been commenting in my absence, so I better get busy.

That's why I'm here, to have my ignorance exposed. Did not know Ottawa was the capitol of Canada. I'll go hide now. :)

Oh, relax. I'm not judging.
We see TV shows all the time up here that refer to Washington DC, the White House or even, The West Wing.
So we kind of have an advantage.
Ask me what the capital of Nigeria is and I don't have a clue.
(Well, I do now... I Googled it. Abuja. Ask me tomorrow and I'll have forgotten.)

I didn't know, either. Interesting plans for the Niagara trip!:goodvibes Now your PTR is done, so you can share recipes or something. :rotfl2:

What???? You didn't know????

Okay, just kidding.
Recipes, huh? Hmmm... I'll have to think about that.
Gives me an idea, though....

Your plans sound fun but exhausting. Reminds me of family vacations when I was a kid and we all, (seven of us, sometimes with a dog), piled into the station wagon and drove every day with a different stop every night. We mostly toured historic sites and indian mounds with the occasional amusement park thrown in. Is it any wonder that we go to Disney every year?

I remember those trips.
When I was 8 (?) my relaticks came over from Europe.
Eight people in a van heading across country.
I remember my cousin and I playing chess on the floor of the van.
(seatbelts? We don't need no stinkin' seatbelts!)

No amusement parks. The highlight was Yellowstone Nat'l Park.
(We saw Old Faithful... and a bear!)

Why no plans in Madison? Need the rest or is that boring? I lived near there when I was a kid. I imagine there must be something interesting to do since it's a university town.

Oh, I'm sure there's something interesting to do.
But I'm pretty sure by then we'll all just want to crash and watch TV.
Or soak in a hot tub.
Or stare blankly at a wall with drool dripping down our chins.

Well, at least, that would be me, while the girls scream, run around me and have a pillow fight.

I think this trip is going to be endlessly entertaining. You're going to the Mall of America with 2 teenage girls? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: This thing is going to write itself!

Anyone ever tell you that you've got a mean streak Shan?
No reason.
Just curious.

As for your Chicago plans, there are some nice architecture tours/river cruises. I'd skip Navy Pier, it's really just some shopping and restaurants.

I am thinking of a river cruise, but while I would really enjoy an architecture tour,
I suspect the girls would be bored.
I'd already reached the same conclusion about Navy Pier.
If we're close, if we have time, we might walk it, just to say we've been there.

Did you know that the Museum of Science and Industry has a Walt Disney exhibit right now? We haven't been (going later this summer) but I've heard good things. There's also Shedd Aquarium, the Art Institute (awesome), and the Field Museum to see.

Again, while I'd be all over those, my priority is ensuring my two charges have fun.
Teenage girls... or boys for that matter... tend to get bored without constant stimulation.
(ungrateful brats!)
While the Shedd Aquarium might be nice,
I'm a little leery of going since we might wind up with a group going to Marineland, Niagara Falls.
Too much the same? I'll have to research it.

I haven't looked into it in a few years, but I know that you can buy a City Pass that gives you entry to the museums and the Hancock Observatory for a discounted price. The museums are all clustered in a "museum campus" and are mostly within walking distance of one another-and they're right on the lake which will give you some beautiful views this time of year.

Well you're certainly making a case for it.
More research, coming up!

And the girls will likely be happy just walking along Michigan Avenue for some incredible shopping and beautiful architecture.

I had thought of that, and it's on the "maybe" list.
Stay tuned.

I'm thinking that due to the timing of the trip the Taste of Chicago might be going on as well. It's a really fun way to try lots of Chicago foods, but it can get pricey and crowded.

Oh? I love those. Might be a good way to have lunch.

Now that I've given you enough activity to fill a week in the city, I'll stop :thumbsup2

:laughing: Yeah, that's always a problem, isn't it?
So much to do, so little time.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Here's the City Pass link. It's not inexpensive, but if those are places you're interested in seeing it's a good deal.

Thanks!

Ponzi, Ponzi, Ponzi sigh....where to start?

Yes, of course Ottawa is the capital of Canada.

Well, I thought you might know.
If you throw a rock hard enough from your house,
it has to clear customs before it lands.

You're probably not going to WDW next year??? Boo, hiss.
We are most likely going at the end of September. 2015 that is.

It's definitely not looking good for a Dis trip.
2016? Do I hear a 2016? How 'bout 2017? 2017? 2018?
Sometime before I keel over from extreme old age?

Actually... Hmmmm.....
2016 might happen.
The 100th Indy 500 is that May and I'd like to go.
And that just happens to be almost exactly halfway....

hmmmm....

As for this summer,,,
I assume you will be taking 80, turnpike in Ohio, from Chicago. It does go right through Elyria. So yes we can meet there. Are you thinking about meeting for lunch? Were you going to try to do anything around here that day?

I'll PM you and we can figure out details.
Elyria is about a five and a half hour drive from where we're staying.
I hope to get the girls up really early that morning so we could meet.

I have one, fairly quick, stop in Cleveland that I'd like to do.
But that's going to probably be one of the longest days of the trip.

So are you really going to drive from Niagara Falls, go to Cedar Point, and then drive to Toledo all in one day?

ARE YOU CRAZY?

You will probably say yes,,,but that plan is just insane.
I did tell you that it would take two FULL days at CP to see it all???
And you want to do it in half a day?
And it's $50 per person to get in?

Yes. To all the above.
(You already knew the answer to the crazy part, right?)

I'm planning on getting there as early as I can
(probably in the afternoon) and using their "fastpass" system to skip the lines.

Still crazy?

So anyhoo...I might not be able to go anyway. WHAT???
I have a calcified tendon in my right shoulder that just keeps getting worse. Getting dressed can cause pain. I'm not sure roller coasters are in the cards for me this summer. Added to the scoliosis and fibromyalgia I already have and it sounds like a painful no fun day for me.

Uh. Yeah. I can see you not wanting to ride too many coasters!
I think lunch in Elyria would be really nice, providing we can make it work.
It would probably be tough to communicate at CP.

"Hi! I'm <roar of passing roller coaster>"
"What? I missed your <roar>"
"What?"
"What?"
"Nevermind! Why don't we <roar> and get out of this <roar>!"
"What? Did you say you wanted to <roar>?"
"What?"
"I asked if you wanted <roar>"
"Wanted to what?"
"To <roar>!!"
"What??"

Also, I don't think I've mentioned...but my DH got laid off at the end of March. He got some severance. He's not looking for a "real" job. He's decided to try freelance illustration (the art thing) from home as his new career. It's going good so far but we're being careful with the budget.

Yes. You did mention that.
Glad to hear that it's going well so far.

The other news is that I have found a job. However, it is with the school system so I will be off all summer. While that is nice, I won't be making any money. In fact, today is my first day. I'm here right now! Don't worry, I was told I was allowed to use the internet. See, I am a substitute secretary. I haven't gotten a single phone call all day!

Hey! Congrats on the new job!
While you won't be making money this summer,
come September, you'll be earning again.

So, I definitely want to meet up with you as much as we can or want to. My 15 year old step son will be here when you come through so you'll get to meet him and my DH as well as me. Isn't that exciting!

Yes it is!
It should be fun watching the kids be all awkward around each other. :lmao:

Message sent tomorrow/ er yesterday.

Don't you mean five days ago?

DISmeet is on and looking forward to meeting Pkondz and Ruby. I expect that Ruby and my DW aka A+ (a school teacher) will enjoy (?) watching a couple of Disney/DISboard addicts go on about our addictions.

Well that didn't quite go the way you thought it would, I think.
But we sure enjoyed ourselves!
I won't go into detail now, but I'll save it for a chapter.

But it was real nice meeting you folks! ::yes::

I would be interested in knowing how many of you thought Canada's capital was Toronto. You can play too LisaViolet and any other Canucks!

oooh. I never even thought about that.

ZEBRA DOMES ARE ON THE WAY!!!!

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!
panic.gif
panic.gif
panic.gif

I can only hope the dry ice holds the precious cargo safe.

Not to worry. I'll just use a straw.

Can't wait to hear about the Pembina pickup and inspection/hopeful consumption.

YOU can't wait!!! :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter