• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian Buffoon's Hi Low Vacation - South Central Musings

Funny I'm reading a TR right now where the gal talks about her husband's family living there, (she's from the TriState Area of New Jersey) and she was going on about how he lived out in the boonies. I was thinking like Nuevo (if you are familiar with that place), that's boonies. If you have stoplights, you can't qualify as boonies!
Nuevo has gotten a bit bigger sort of, more like Menifee has spread out some over that way.
Used to be that elsinore was the boonies, and heck here in wildomar we were really considered the boonies.lol I work right across the street from the lake and my views are of the lake or the CLeavland national forest and Ortega highway. so I really can't complain about a "day at the office"

Find the DVC Member forum, and there is a sub forum called DVC Mousellaneous, under that is the forum for DVC Trip Reports. There really aren't many for SSR, BUT.....if you click on the link in my signature "The 75% all new trip" We did stay 5 nights at SSR after our 4 night cruise on the Dream. I don't know how helpful it will be, we stayed in a one bedroom in Congress Springs. It worked out very well for us as we had a lot of ADRs at Disney Springs and also had a lot of plans to visit the resorts, so we could just use the walkway to Disney Springs and catch a bus to a resort!
thanks ;) I will head over there tonight

And Kananaskis?
I've heard of it... but that's it!

Check it out sometime! There's really only one hotel there (a Delta - that allows dogs!) so it's very secluded. There are great walking trails and you don't have to deal with thousands of tourists. Plus, it's kind of pretty there.

You're the first person I know who's used them.
Not terrible?
Good enough for me!

When I flew with New Leaf, it was actually on a Canadian North plane. They don't own their own fleet, they just rent whatever is available from other airlines. If you pay for your checked bag in advance online, it's the same price as WestJet/AirCanada but if you wait until you get to the airport they increase the price. You can take a small personal item (a purse or a normal sized backpack) on the plane with you, but you do need to pay for large rolling carry-ons. This makes boarding the plane go so quick, since people are packing lighter or fitting everything into their checked bags. My checked bag also came out after landing crazy fast! I will be using them again.

Or perhaps I just couldn't get a flight
into Calgary on such short notice.
Or maybe it's something completely different.
Or maybe you're completely right.

Tell you what.
If it turns out you're right,
ask me again.

If you're wrong....
shall I deduct points?

Hmmmmm??????

I think that's fair. But if I'm right I do get those extra points!

Under a rock...

At least you had some shade?

We've been fine. Has been a great summer of camping and other travel adventures.

Good to hear.
How far'd you get from the big city?

We bought a new (to us) trailer in the fall, so gave it a good workout starting in the spring. Life sure gets busy sometimes!

Cool.
I floated the idea once to Ruby.
"What would you think about traveling in an RV?"

I got a very emphatic "NO!"

A+ is doing great. She is really happy with her class (and class size) this year. But she has added teaching math for the first time in a lot of years (she is normally language/history/geography) so is stressing a lot over lesson plans.

Stressing over the lesson plans?
I'd be stressing over the material!

"What the heck is this??? Sanskrit???"

Been too long.

Both kids are now in post-secondary - one finishing up this semester and the other one just starting.

:sad2: Man... You're getting old.

Well, no, not really because I'm not in that business anymore. But I still have connections...

Oh... just connections....

SO IT WAS YOU!!!

No, can't be that. They used magic to make the car fly, remember? Now the rest of us could probably use the ability to conjure up Petroleum though... Spectro Petrolum!!! or Fillerupus!!!

I want to know how to do Fillerupus!

I'd like to use that on my bank balance too.

It doesn't rain here.

:laughing: Silly me. I was thinking of Florida's parade.
I hear it rains there.

Different priorities...

Perhaps.

I have to drive down there anyway so I already have the vehicle on hand.

I've driven down too.
Although only once when I've stayed on property.
(The other times I stayed in Kissimmee.)

I also don't mind driving and am rather good at dealing with maps, directions and such, and WDW isn't that hard to navigate.

Ditto.
But I really enjoyed just parking the van
and letting Disney take care of me
(and of the navigation.)

But, at least until this trip,
I've never had a problem with the busses.

The one time we hopped in the van
was when we were staying at POR,
and had an ADR at Boma
and went straight from resort to resort.

Mostly, what makes me nuts is the massive number of folks on the buses and the absolute chaos that the proliferation of ECVs has created (I understand it, but lord those things are a curse). Basically I've just about officially given up on DisBuses

I will admit...
I think I may have even noted it
to write about it,
there was at least one time
when I was running late
that I was hoping there'd
be no ECVs on the bus I
was getting on.

Nothing against folks who use em'
just a need to get going ASAP.

Sorry, Ponzi- minor diversionary hijack here...

No problem!
I'm quite pleased actually,
that people feel comfortable enough
to be able to sit and chat around here.

I like to think of my TR as a place
where people come to sit and put their
feet up while listening to stories and
sharing their own.

yeah it is but I would have preferred the beach lol.

Well, okay.
Still.... no sharks in the mountains.

By the way... a shameless pimping of my brand spanking new TR. ;) Hope to see you all there too.

The ABCs of a Nursing School Graduation Celebration

Go people.
She's a terrific writer.
Knows English better than me.

But come back here from time to time
and visit too, okay?

Check it out sometime! There's really only one hotel there (a Delta - that allows dogs!) so it's very secluded.

They seclude it because of the dogs?
What. Are they barking incessantly?

:rolleyes1

There are great walking trails and you don't have to deal with thousands of tourists. Plus, it's kind of pretty there.

Sounds pretty nice! Maybe I'll have try it out some day.
Certainly the area (or what we saw of it)
looked nice.

When I flew with New Leaf, it was actually on a Canadian North plane. They don't own their own fleet, they just rent whatever is available from other airlines.

::yes:: Knew that.
But... Canadian North?
That surprises me.
I thought Flair was doing their flying.

If you pay for your checked bag in advance online, it's the same price as WestJet/AirCanada but if you wait until you get to the airport they increase the price.

Figured that'd be the case.

I'll be looking into it for future flights,
but it would have to be a minimum
of $50 cheaper since I get 1 free
checked bag with WestJet.

You can take a small personal item (a purse or a normal sized backpack) on the plane with you, but you do need to pay for large rolling carry-ons. This makes boarding the plane go so quick, since people are packing lighter or fitting everything into their checked bags.

Huh. Never thought of that aspect of it.
Makes complete sense, though.

It boggles my mind what people bring
as carry ons.
I've seen what amounts to full size
suitcases as the "carry on"
and a carry on sized bag as the
"personal item".

But I guess if the airline's not going
to enforce its own rules about sizing...

My checked bag also came out after landing crazy fast! I will be using them again.

Now that's interesting!
Wonder what makes that part so fast?

I think that's fair. But if I'm right I do get those extra points!

Okay, deal.
But (if I remember) if you're wrong
and I deduct points, don't come crying!

Conversely, if you're right,
I'm leaving it up to you to remind me.

Game on baby.

There.
It's done.

No, not the update yet, sorry.

At your urging... yes... you.
I sent out a PM (three actually...
you can only send to up to 20
at a time) to everyone
who had posted on the last TR.
Not including those who're already here.

Although you may have gotten it anyway.
I didn't comb through it with a fine tooth comb.

More like a rake.

Anyway, we'll see if anything comes of it.

Now.
All caught up finally
(well, except for Liesa's intro on her TR.)

So now.... now I can get the update started!
And I cannot wait to share some of the deets!

Love the bat signal. I found this tr when you were already 10 pages in. I caught up on all the nebo trip reports and got to say I enjoyed reading them. I lurk more than I comment normally. That said I am quite jealous of you solo trip. I think that would be a blast to go do what I want when I want and not have to wait on anyone. I think I would end up riding Haunted Mansion over and over because it is my favorite and the one ride dd is still scared of.

What the Dis???

I multiquoted a few things and they're gone. I didn't multiquote a lot because, well, I'm trying to play catch up, but I did highlight a few things. Like did we miss you? Well, considering I didn't even realize you were gone... :rolleyes1

But that's on me and my extended absence from the boards. Thanks for the BS before I got hopelessly behind on this one too.

I am here! Not sure how much time I will have to comment but I will definitely be following along.

1. Hmm- I'm thinking you are aiming for the first West Jet flight out of Winnipeg, so around 5:15AM

2. Winnipeg to Toronto- on time
Toronto- MCO- delayed

3. Yes to the stamped passport! I don't know how you feel normally about that, so here's a shot in the dark at your facial expression

untitled.png

4. Pop Century?

5. Magic Kingdom?

6. To the park- 7 minutes
From the park-12 minutes

Got the bat signal so I am joining in! looking forward to reading your adventures.

Is it too late for the questions? I will answer just in case :-)

1. What time is my flight out of Winnipeg?
Hint: I connect in Toronto and plan to (hopefully)
hit a park the same day.

2. Two flights. Winnipeg/Toronto, Toronto/MCO.
On time? Delayed? One of each?

3. I'll be clearing customs in Toronto.
This is always fun.... 50/50. Does my passport
get stamped?
Bonus points if you know the expression on my face.

4. When I finally arrive at the resort...
Where is it? (Yes it's on property.)
Hint: I'm squeezing pennies, remember?

5. So I get there. I go to a park. Which one?

6. I don't know if I'll do a transportation game or not.
But just in case... how long do I wait for transportation
to and from the park.

1. 6am
2. both on time
3. yes stamped, confused expression
4. ASMu
5. Magic Kingdom
6. 11 mins total

Thanks for sending me the link! Glad to see you back. :yay:

So sorry your plans were usurped by the dog. Your wife is the greatest for sending you along anyway!

What is a Banff?

Your longjohn story-- fantastic! Did you have an opportunity to change quickly?

My guesses:
Flight leaves at 5:15 am.
Winnipeg flight is delayed. Toronto is on time.
Leading to your passport being stamped and you are annoyed as you rush to your connection.
You are staying at All Star Movies
Bus wait is 15 minutes.

At least you had some shade?

That's what I like about you. The glass is always half-full

Good to hear.
How far'd you get from the big city?

Furthest afield was probably A+'s brother's place up in Muskoka for a weekend (our shakedown trip). Two weekend trips to our favorite state park near Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks; beautiful park and waterfront sites, but "dry" camping only. Spent two weeks at Charleston Lake PP near here; great getaway as it is in a dead zone with no cell, TV, or other reception. Only one radio station gets through. Unfortunately was also the two weeks of the Olympics, so I missed all that fun.

:sad2: Man... You're getting old.

Gee... thanks for the reminder.

Oh... just connections....

SO IT WAS YOU!!!

Okay, okay, it was me. Guess that probably doesn't win me any bonus points...

I want to know how to do Fillerupus!

I'd like to use that on my bank balance too.

I like the way you think!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter