Canadian Buffoon's Disney With a Teen Vacation - 08/13 - The Wrap

I've been away for a while. quite a long while.
Sorry... feel bad about that.

Not to worry. Stuff happens.
How you feeling?

Having missed about five updates, there is entirely too much to comment on properly.
And it'd be utterly pointless to even attempt answers in this stage in the contest, but as always
I've enjoyed reading along with your retelling of the family adventures.

You were missed, glad you're back!

Maybe I can get back to abusing you properly in the next update.

Uh....

uh, oh.

I've been touched by similar tragedies.
I've lost an in law to such hopelessness.

Sorry to hear that.

Our local high school lost an otherwise wonderful young woman through very similar circumstances.

And that as well.

I myself have stared deep into the chasm of that awful choice and honestly, nearly didn't not choose to stay.
If offered the chance to relive my youth, I doubt very seriously that I'd even consider it.

I for one (although I'm sure I speak for all)
am very glad you chose to stay.

The things that haunt and terrify individuals are many and varied and in truth we each fight those epic battles in silence and at times utterly alone.

And that's a big part of the problem, isn't it?

We can reach out to others, but only if we know that it needs to be done and even then, we might not be heard and we may not even be enough to make a difference individually.

Yeah. There's that feeling of helplessness.
On both ends of the spectrum.

Life is hard, plane and simple and for some it's harder then we'll even know.

Unfortunately.... yeah.

But the hope displayed in this story is inspiring.

::yes::

And it was quite the story.
I for one am not surprised that you were moved to tears by a piece of music.
This happens to me all... the... time... ("man-card" be damned)
Don't think I've ever seen a performance that my son was a part of that didn't result in such.
and usually there isn't the added emotional element or immense gravitas associated with the presentation.
Music just grabs hold of my sole and turns the dials in way that I can't control.

Music doesn't often move me to tears,
but it does bring up waves of memories.

Thankfully, most of them good.

congrats to the kids for having such huge hearts...
for the hard work they put forth...
and for the humanity they display.

Well said.

We should all be so inspired.

Amen to that.

sigh.. I (we) have been away far too long. so sorry. life intervenes. and now I see I have come back at a sad time. my prayers go out to this family..
I'll try to catch up a bit.(. we have been busy with nebo's recuperation.. )

sigh.. I (we) have been away far too long. so sorry. life intervenes. and now I see I have come back at a sad time. my prayers go out to this family..

It's great to hear from you, Smidgy- Nebo has a LOT of good wishes & prayers here. Hope you both are doing well!

Good news and bad news.
The good news is that all the points
are tabulated and the photos
are almost done.
So I'll be writing the next update soon.

The bad news is that I'm super busy
so I've fallen behind on your TRs/PTRs again.

<sigh>

I'll do my best.

Your bad news is helpful! I haven't been here in a week. And likely won't be back for another. But luckily you haven't updated much! So I am not that far behind!

$10,000 is just amazing.

sigh.. I (we) have been away far too long. so sorry. life intervenes.

Hi Smidgy! :wave:

This is so weird.
I've been thinking of you guys a lot lately.
On another TR I was discussing something about Chicago.
On another thread we were talking about recuperation.

I must find the time to call.
But I already know it won't be for a day or two at least.

But I am thinking of you guys.

and now I see I have come back at a sad time. my prayers go out to this family..

Thanks Smidgy.

Thanks for swinging by. Say hi to the big galoot
and tell him I'll call him as soon as I can.
(Might be even able to drop by in the Fall.... maybe.)

Your bad news is helpful!

I'm so glad my pain is your gain! :laughing:

I haven't been here in a week. And likely won't be back for another. But luckily you haven't updated much! So I am not that far behind!

Nope. I had high hopes of updating more.

:sad2:

$10,000 is just amazing.

Yes! Isn't that great?

Another random thought I felt the need to share!

Last night, my wife and I were talking about parents traveling with their child without the other parent and such, and we were reminded of your near disastrous experience at the border without a letter for Kay.

I don't know if you guys heard of it, but in the spring of 2015 (I can't remember the month exactly, but it wouldn't have been very long before August) there was actually a parental child abduction in Quebec. My Dad knew the Dad, worked with him, and he'd mentioned him before, how he had a two year old daughter who was pretty much attached to his hip, whom he'd been raising alone because the Mom had some issues (drug, alcohol, mental problems that she refused to take medication for). He had full custody, and the Mom had visitation days.

The Mom was from Czech Republic (ironically, Amber knew her, they'd been taking French classes together), and her parents had a pretty decent amount of money. They got a Czech passport made for the kid, and during one visitation the Mom took her by car across the border from Quebec to New York, met up with her parents, and they flew back from New York to Czech Republic. It was a really long ordeal. The Dad just finally brought her back to Quebec a couple of months ago, because he had to get through the whole legal process over in Europe, since the ruling for custody was only valid in Canada.

So, that might have something to do with the fact that they were a bit more intent with asking for letters at the border so little time after that happened? I'd think every custom agent got a talking to to be like, "Guys, really, you NEED to ASK for the letter, no exception". I'd think that's in their training anyway, but that kind of an event has a way of making things even more strict.

Just read about Molly. Its so sad that people think they're life is so bad, that they feel they must end it all. Usually not the one we would expect either. In the end, I'm glad things are working out for her and that so much money was raised to help her and her family.

I tried to get Lady H on here. The division she works for at her work place (my former work place) go out to schools teaching about the dangers of suicide and how to hopefully prevent it. Warning signs, how to get help and to help others. I'll see if I can get her on here to share some more.

I did know that about Heather.
I'd be thrilled if she popped in.

:genie: See what happens when you say my name too many times?! :rotfl2:

Anywhoo. Sorry I have been so absent. Good thing is that T-Man has been keeping me up to date of your trips and your shenanigans. I've been so busy with all the traveling and presenting that we are doing and now is even worse, as I am working on a youth camp for our TDV awareness campaign groups next week and then a full 2 day Summit at the end of the month. Talk about crazy busy!!!

T-Man did tell me about the suicide issue, and I haven't gone back to read your full statement on it, but from what I have been told, I can only imagine what her family and yours have been going through. The horrible fact is that too many who decide to take this drastic measure do not think outside the box of what is going on in their head. It does hit more than just the immediate family.

As T-Man said, I do work closely with the youth in our state on matters pertaining to TDV and in some cases Mental Health Awareness. We have an amazing outreach person in our office who is certified to do more in depth presentations on Suicide Prevention. One thing I have learned from her is "It is OK not to be OK. It is even better to get help!"

I could easily go on and on about this topic, but I will not totally hijack your thread. I did want to at least post a video to my co-workers recent TedxABQ talk about what she does in terms of mental health awareness and suicide prevention. It is 5 minutes, but definitely worth a watch. It's amazing how little we as a society know and do about this danger.

I hope you and your family are getting through this alright, and I also hope that for her family.

On a lighter note. I look forward to hopefully having more chances to get on here so I am not just a ghost that pops in from time to time. xoxoxox

I can't believe I've waited THIS long to read this TR. I also can't believe I've finished it in a day. I have so many things to say - but I'll just say, I've really enjoyed your TR thus far. It's definitely one of the best I've read on here. I really enjoy your sense of humor, and it's made for very enjoyable reading. Thank you for taking the time to share your trips with us.

They raised just over TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Just trying to get caught up around here but.....WOWZA!!!! That is seriously awesome!!! I'm totally like you were at every school fundraiser my kids do...but that is serious make a difference money. Amazing.

Another random thought I felt the need to share!

That's what we're here for!

Last night, my wife and I were talking about parents traveling with their child without the other parent and such, and we were reminded of your near disastrous experience at the border without a letter for Kay.

You remembered that?!?!?
I don't remember the drivel I write.

I don't know if you guys heard of it, but in the spring of 2015 (I can't remember the month exactly, but it wouldn't have been very long before August) there was actually a parental child abduction in Quebec. My Dad knew the Dad, worked with him, and he'd mentioned him before, how he had a two year old daughter who was pretty much attached to his hip, whom he'd been raising alone because the Mom had some issues (drug, alcohol, mental problems that she refused to take medication for). He had full custody, and the Mom had visitation days.

The Mom was from Czech Republic (ironically, Amber knew her, they'd been taking French classes together), and her parents had a pretty decent amount of money. They got a Czech passport made for the kid, and during one visitation the Mom took her by car across the border from Quebec to New York, met up with her parents, and they flew back from New York to Czech Republic. It was a really long ordeal. The Dad just finally brought her back to Quebec a couple of months ago, because he had to get through the whole legal process over in Europe, since the ruling for custody was only valid in Canada.

So, that might have something to do with the fact that they were a bit more intent with asking for letters at the border so little time after that happened? I'd think every custom agent got a talking to to be like, "Guys, really, you NEED to ASK for the letter, no exception". I'd think that's in their training anyway, but that kind of an event has a way of making things even more strict.

Wow! That may be the exact reason
we had so much trouble!

Well, I'll be....

:genie: See what happens when you say my name too many times?! :rotfl2:

@Thumper_Man's Wife, @Thumper_Man's Wife,
@Thumper_Man's Wife, @Thumper_Man's Wife,
@Thumper_Man's Wife, @Thumper_Man's Wife

Anywhoo. Sorry I have been so absent.

Glad you're here now!
Hi Heather! :wave:

Good thing is that T-Man has been keeping me up to date of your trips and your shenanigans.

Meh. He's easily confused.
Probably got everything bass ackwards.

I've been so busy with all the traveling and presenting that we are doing and now is even worse, as I am working on a youth camp for our TDV awareness campaign groups next week and then a full 2 day Summit at the end of the month. Talk about crazy busy!!!

I hear you on the crazy busy....
Lord, I hear you.

T-Man did tell me about the suicide issue, and I haven't gone back to read your full statement on it

I hope you do.

but from what I have been told, I can only imagine what her family and yours have been going through. The horrible fact is that too many who decide to take this drastic measure do not think outside the box of what is going on in their head. It does hit more than just the immediate family.

I know. And that's part of the problem from both ends, isn't it?
On the one hand, kids see how a suicide affects so many,
so you get the "I'll show them, they'll be sorry" effect.
But at the same time, they don't really get how it affects others,
specifically close friends and family.

As T-Man said, I do work closely with the youth in our state on matters pertaining to TDV and in some cases Mental Health Awareness. We have an amazing outreach person in our office who is certified to do more in depth presentations on Suicide Prevention. One thing I have learned from her is "It is OK not to be OK. It is even better to get help!"

Had to look up TDV. Now I know.

I could easily go on and on about this topic, but I will not totally hijack your thread.

Nope. You go right ahead.
I can't think of a much better reason
to hijack it for.

I did want to at least post a video to my co-workers recent TedxABQ talk about what she does in terms of mental health awareness and suicide prevention. It is 5 minutes, but definitely worth a watch. It's amazing how little we as a society know and do about this danger.

Thanks for the video.
I luckily was at home when I saw your post
(at work now)
so I was able to see it.

I hope others took a peak, too.

I hope you and your family are getting through this alright, and I also hope that for her family.

We're okay.
Ruby and I never knew Molly or her family.
The girls knew her, but weren't close.

So we were more on the outskirts.
Still affected us to varying degrees,
but nowhere near as much as others.

On a lighter note. I look forward to hopefully having more chances to get on here so I am not just a ghost that pops in from time to time.

Oh, I sure hope so!

Woot! Look at that! 4 kisses and 3 hugs.
I bet I'm getting more action from Heather
than Mike is!

I can't believe I've waited THIS long to read this TR.

Well, you're here now! :welcome: to the TR Allyson!

I also can't believe I've finished it in a day.

OMG. You read all that in one day????

Are you okay? Do you feel nauseous?
Do you need to sit down?
Can I get you something to drink?
Perhaps something with an extraordinarily
high alcohol content?

I have so many things to say - but I'll just say, I've really enjoyed your TR thus far.

You may not have much to say...
But I like what you do say.
I'll say that.

It's definitely one of the best I've read on here.

:blush: Awww....

Wait....

Is this the first TR you've read?
'Cause then that makes perfect sense.

I really enjoy your sense of humor, and it's made for very enjoyable reading.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Thank you for taking the time to share your trips with us.

You're welcome!
I hope you'll be around
to comment more often.

I'm liking everything you've said so far!

Just a quick note, kids.
Been super busy
(and it will remain so until... September?
Although I do have a week off with Ruby
in Montreal coming up in a couple weeks.)

Just catching up in a few spots,
then will start the next update.
Photos are done, points are done.

Just gotta write it.
Which should start tonight.

Might.... MIGHT! get 'er done
by tomorrow.

No promises!!!

You're further ahead than I am.
I still have... uh... I think four TRs/PTRs
to catch up on... including yours!
(But that's next, after this post.)

Yes, I must be. Because I'm working on my next update as well (wanna pound these FOOD ones out quickly). Been an emotional day, and this...well... can be a nice escape.

^ and I'm looking forward to that. :)

:goodvibes

Yes, I must be. Because I'm working on my next update as well (wanna pound these FOOD ones out quickly).

Saw that... in between trying to post comments
on your first food update. :sad2:

But I only have one more TR to go now!

Been an emotional day, and this...well... can be a nice escape.

Sorry to hear that.
You can share if you'd like to.
If you don't, that's perfectly okay too.

:hug:

OMG.

I clicked the "watched threads" link and....

Nothing came up.

I can't possibly be caught up!
It must be broken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter