Can you use the force on Toddlers? Fantasy SWDAS March 2016 FINISHED

I wonder if this has to do with the huge age spread in the clubs though. If they are going to put 3-12 year olds in one space, I bet some attorney told them they shouldn't let them get too physical without really close supervision a la a scheduled activity.

While DD didn't complain about the club, we only took her for activities. I too would have liked some age appropriate physical play options.

I'm sure there are liability issues. But - can it really be worse than a pool? Since winters are rough here, we go to indoor playspaces pretty frequently. They have wide age ranges and lots of kids. Sure, I sign a waiver, but DCL could do that too.

I'm sure there are liability issues. But - can it really be worse than a pool? Since winters are rough here, we go to indoor playspaces pretty frequently. They have wide age ranges and lots of kids. Sure, I sign a waiver, but DCL could do that too.
But you stay with your kids at the pool and, hopefully, the parents of older kids too. The pool isn't solely responsible for watching them whereas on DCL the club staff is the only supervision allowed.

I really enjoyed your report! We just got off the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago. Our DS turned 3 onboard and our DD is 9 months. We are booking tomorrow for the NYC-Bahamas cruise next fall and the kids will be the same ages that your kids were on this trip - 4 and 2. I appreciate what you wrote about not cruising with a 2 year old, and will definitely keep those things in mind. Planning around nap time is definitely difficult!

Thanks for your very enjoyable report. I'm curious about your kids club comments. We have only been on the Wonder, which I believe had the original kids club design at the time. The club and lab both had areas where there were toys and books (blocks, Mr. Potato Heads, etc.) Have those things been eliminated? Or is the screen time issue just that pretty much every room has screens, so there's no way to get away from them even if you are using non-screen toys?

Our experience at the character breakfast was EXACTLY the same as yours. I seriously felt like you were in my head when I was reading your description!

Thanks for your very enjoyable report. I'm curious about your kids club comments. We have only been on the Wonder, which I believe had the original kids club design at the time. The club and lab both had areas where there were toys and books (blocks, Mr. Potato Heads, etc.) Have those things been eliminated? Or is the screen time issue just that pretty much every room has screens, so there's no way to get away from them even if you are using non-screen toys?

Hi! Sorry, I didn't check in for a while and am just seeing this now.

I was never inside the Lab. The Club did have a room -- the Toy Story themed one -- that had some toys, but I never saw any in use. Plus, my kids are the type that if they see screens, they go for it, with little ability to self-regulate at this point. When I was there during open houses with my 2 year old, she would want to go play the computer games, but was too young to follow the rules. My older kid would participate in scheduled activities, but when left to free play would just stare blindly at one of the (many) movies playing on the various screens, or go play computer games.

(this would also presumably have been different had they been in there together or with friends)

Plus, the Club and Lab and Nursery all serve meals in front of TV or movies. This is a clear strategy to make it more likely that the kids will eat, but from a parenting perspective it's not my favorite--I try pretty hard NOT to let my kids eat mindlessly in front of screens. I obviously didn't worry about it too much and still sent them in when we had other things booked, but again, not my favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter