can you take boxes of chocolates into the US?

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by karentan, Nov 6, 2005.

1. karentan

karentan <font color=green>my main job for tomorrow is to g

i know the rules concerning meat and dairy products going into the US (ie you cant!), but would i be allowed to take a sealed box of chocolates (from thorntons) into the US?
    planning on taking box of choccies and bottle of scotch whisky as a present for my wedding co-ordinator, but dont want to pay £20 or more for a big box only to have it confiscated at the other end.
    thanks in advance
    karen

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JohnnySharp2

JohnnySharp2 No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a

I do not see any reason why not - it's a yes from me.

Johnny

4. gavvy

gavvy DIS Veteran

choccy is fine I asked before and customs said no prob- anything containing meat however is a big no! - dried milk is also ok if its in an unopened container.
    Also no fruit at all - leave it on the plane if you have taken any for a snack during the flight!

5. karentan

karentan <font color=green>my main job for tomorrow is to g

thanks, its good to know they wont get thrown away if i take them!

6. Deedee

Deedee DIS Veteran

my holiday treat is a box of thorntons i take them every time and have never had a problem

7. Amyrlin

Amyrlin DIS Veteran

Yes it is, and yes I have taken it through fully declared in the past.

8. Laurafoster

Laurafoster DIS Veteran

hmm thats weird - we took a box of Milk tray through last year and was told we were not allowed to take them through and had them confiscated - we must have had a stroppy person!

9. susieh

susieh Mouseketeer

I've taken kilo size bars of Cadbury's chocolate in and my bother has taken boxes of Mars Bars etc with no problems.

10. wee-haggis

wee-haggis DIS Veteran

We take chocolate ( and lots of it) every year. We have never had a problem. Besides almost all Duty Free shops have chocolate to buy to take with you.

11. Queenie

Queenie Mouseketeer<br><font color="green">Will wear a lim

I had some chocolate bars with me this year that I hadn't finished on the plane going out. I checked with the air hostesses and they said it was fine to take into the States. We went through with no problems.

12. wee-haggis

wee-haggis DIS Veteran

13. eblondie

eblondie DIS Veteran

LOL Wee-Haggis!
    I was thinking of doing the same thing - buying chcolates (Thorntons) for my wedding Planner. In fact an American friend who is also a bride-to-be liked this idea too...so she has asked me to get some for her. I was planning on packing it rather than it being a carry on.

14. Ash aka sky

Ash aka sky Guest

Chocolate (as well as other sweets are not a problem). My cases are like pantries when I come home from the UK last year I even brought back about 8 large packets of Warbutons Crumpets... Mmmm I could kill for some decent english bread... thats on my list for when my family comes to visit.

Ash :)

15. Twinks

Twinks Mouseketeer

LOL Deedee we bought our traditional box of Thorntons for the flight yesterday. They are doing a special 700g double layer box for £12.00 :goodvibes

Donna

16. AlanUK

AlanUK <font color=blue>UK Trip Planning & Trip Reports M

We take the odd bit of Chocolate and some biscuits out for our friends but it is nothing compared to all the yummy stuff that we bring back :teeth:

17. disneyholic family

disneyholic family <font color=teal>Wayne always catches me<br><font

yes you can bring in chocolates, but you still must declare them on the customs form when you enter the US (that is, check off the "yes" box for the question regarding bringing food).....

18. AlanUK

AlanUK <font color=blue>UK Trip Planning & Trip Reports M

Can't say that I have ever done that. :confused3:

It seems daft to say something like that on the visa waiver form and get grilled by customs/immigration as a result all over a box of chocolates. I think I'd just eat them in the immigration hall if it was going to be that much hassle :teeth:

19. disneyholic family

disneyholic family <font color=teal>Wayne always catches me<br><font

you can think it's daft, but that's the rule....and no they don't grill you...
    all they do is say 'what food?" and you say "chocolate" - end of story..
    in fact on the form i usually write in next to the box "cereal" (since that's what we always have)....they never even ask us a question...

according to the rule (if you look on the US customs website you'll see it) all food must be declared whether it's permitted or not....they can even fine you for bringing in a permitted food if you don't declare it...

20. Deedee

Deedee DIS Veteran

Hi Donna thanks for that but unfortunately i have 10 months to wait!! Hope you enjoy yours can't beat thorntons

21. wee-haggis

wee-haggis DIS Veteran

I think the wait time at customs would be astronomical if everyone was to declare every little chocolate bar etc they brought in (do you declare a stick of gum?....of course not). The Customs people are only looking for fodd like fruit,veggies,meat and other perishables etc.
    Again I repeat an earlier comment.....All Duty Free stores across the world include chocolates,biscuits etc in their inventory. It would be ridiculous to think that this would be allowable if everyone had to declare it at every border crossing.