Can you make "skirt" steak or "flank" steak in a crockpot?

lisaross

DIS Veteran
I love skirt steak and now that i'm loving my crockpot, i wonder how a steak would come out?

anyone have a recipe for me?

thanx

lisa

I just put the flank steak in the crockpot in the morning - cover it with salsa and let it cook all day. A few hours before dinner (usually around 3 pm) I throw fresh string beans on top and let it cook until we eat, generally between 5 and 6. That's it and you've got a complete dinner!

I've also covered the flank steak with a mix of beef broth and onion soup mix (and liquid smoke if you can get it) instead of the salsa for more of a brisket type flavor.

usual recipe skirt or flank steak covered with a mixture of barbeque sauce/A1 sauce and crushed garlic!

thanx

lisa

I put steak in there once. DH said he liked it better than grilled steak because it was so tender. I like grilled personally... but I would give your recipe a try. I have found any meat seems to work in the crock pot, it just comes out extra tender. In fact, i have read that a crock pot is great place to cook those less expensive, tougher cuts of meat!

I just put the flank steak in the crockpot in the morning - cover it with salsa and let it cook all day. A few hours before dinner (usually around 3 pm) I throw fresh string beans on top and let it cook until we eat, generally between 5 and 6. That's it and you've got a complete dinner!

I've also covered the flank steak with a mix of beef broth and onion soup mix (and liquid smoke if you can get it) instead of the salsa for more of a brisket type flavor.

What size steak? And I assume you put it on low? Sounds Yummy! Isn't Flank Steak on sale at Kroger this week? Wait, I'm checking... No, it's Flat Iron Steak for $4.99/lb.

I think I usually get around 2-3 lbs. No matter what size piece of meat, just be sure the meat is covered (pour the salsa or broth mix over the meat until it fills up the bottom of the crock pot and is almost as high as the meat, as the meat cooks it releases water and ends out being completely covered). It's one of those eyeball cooking methods! I've also cooked more than that and had two "layers" or meat - just put the salsa or broth mix between the two. I usually cook it for 6 - 8 hours on low. Happy eating!

My son the "meat department dude" says a boneless chuck roast, shoulder roast, or a seven bone roast/underblade roast would be a lot better in a crock pot but a skirt steak would be OK. (As he's standing next to me eating leftover taco meat out of the pan. :rolleyes: )

He says it would be better to marinade and then grill the strip steak.

Anne

I use it with 1 can of cheese soup and a jar of salsa. After 6 hours I add 2 cans of beans (black, pinto, kidney whatever) and a can of corn. Then I top with tortilla chips. Yummy!

I'm going to try this tomorrow. I did a google search for low fat crock pot recipes. The flank steak recipe calls for 6 tomatillos- chopped, a can of baby corn on the cob- drained, a can of rotel, 3 garlic cloves, a chopped red onion, a quarter cup fresh cilantro, salt and pepper, 2.5 pounds flank steak. Cook 6 or 7 hours on low.

Try the google search- I made a low fat Chicken corn chowder last week end and it was really good. I printed several recipes from that search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter